Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 21, 2017 6:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Unique and Rare Radios
PostPosted: Feb Fri 17, 2017 4:54 pm 

Thank you all.

There is a lot of time invested there in the radios, the displays and the building that houses them. All of the radios work and about 1/2 of them are plugged in, ready to demonstrate. This requires a regular service interval to clean volume controls and switches that get noisy while setting - even though I try to turn all of them on at least every 60 days. Some of the most persistent issues are with late 20s early 30s grid caps. I have considered replating these to avoid the inevitable oxidation and intermittent connections. At these service opportunities I also add parts/tubes (radios have the correct style and brand of tube if known) that I have found subsequent to restoration.

P.S. some corrections have been made in particular to the 620A post. Seems I was too busy to proofread.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 17, 2017 7:00 pm 

I did some quick digging on the Oakland Automotive Specialty Co. The best mention that comes up is from the Oakland Tribune, October 5, 1924, p. 63. This is on the "radio" page of the paper, but it is on a "pay to play" website, so I could not read the text.

I did find this ad from the Livermore Journal, Volume 6, Number 23, 20 February 1925. I did not find them in the 1924, 1925, or 1926 Oakland City Directories, so it may be that they were using some other name in the phone book.

Attachment:
LIVJORN.png
LIVJORN.png [ 41.55 KiB | Viewed 643 times ]

Jim Cross

PostPosted: Feb Fri 17, 2017 8:07 pm 

Thanks Jim.

Interesting to note that they did not advertise their own radios, though being an unlicensed super, I can understand why.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 19, 2017 12:04 am 

phlogiston wrote:
SteveG wrote:
Russ,
Nice sets on that page! I live right outside of Sanger! Looks like you may have found one of the only worthwhile radios to come off the Fresno CL in quite a while....
Steve

It was about 7 years ago.

Russ,
So I should be due for another nice one to show on the local CL by now :lol: That was during my period of radio inactivity, which lasted about 15 years....
Steve

PostPosted: Feb Sun 19, 2017 12:25 am 

I have looked - probably not :roll:

PostPosted: Feb Sun 19, 2017 6:02 pm 

Wow, Oh Wow!!! Loved them all... Loved the page on the Strat restoration... Fantastic, I got to visit John Goller in Florida a few years back when he was working on a Strat project, got to see the chassis of one. it was like seeing a just found pirates treasure. I was like a kid on Christmas morning... Love it!! I can't imagine owning one. Great write up!!

Cheers!!!

Chris

St John's NL
Canada

PostPosted: Feb Mon 20, 2017 2:02 am 

Thanks!

Updated with Leutz Model C.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 20, 2017 11:12 am 

It truly is a fantastic collection, on a great WEB site, with some superb restoration work. Cant imagine you have time for other hobbies :D

I too have made replica 'dog bone' resistors for a Stew Warner 950 and spent a lot of time, over-powering the higher wattage resistors in the tubes and measuring surface temperatures. Hard to know how the heat gets out, some via the wires and other through the tube but with an air gap. Air is a poor conductor, maybe filling them with something would be better. Anyway they have all survived not that it gets played much.

Will post a couple of pics of the stripped, re-plated in old nickel chassis and a before and after re-built chassis. Not trying to get in on your act Russ, you will always be the Alpha Male of radio restoring to me but it might be of interest. This set had been a 30's export to Australia and came back to the UK so was set to go on 240V. I knew it was from 'down under' as lots of the caps were marked "Made in Aus...".

You are now ready to restore Philips Monoknob sets Russ, lots of problems to over come like potentiometers with internal gearing (about 8:1) that rotate via an arm moved linearly 10mm by Bowden cables. Amazingly these pots are no bigger than any 30's pot of the time but that's Philips for you. No spares are available and no standard track has a chance of being re-fitted. Only way for me was making miniature external gearboxes to modern items and re-arrange the chassis underneath. Was it worth the trouble? Yes! the performance and audio quality is superb.

Attachment:
Chassis 1 WEB.jpg
Chassis 1 WEB.jpg [ 78.72 KiB | Viewed 546 times ]

Attachment:
Original chassis underneath WEB.jpg
Original chassis underneath WEB.jpg [ 157.87 KiB | Viewed 546 times ]

Attachment:
SW underside WEB.jpg
SW underside WEB.jpg [ 122.89 KiB | Viewed 546 times ]

Gary

PostPosted: Feb Mon 20, 2017 6:23 pm 

Very nice!

Like many of us, I would like to have a few more nice, early, "foreign" radios.

How long did it take to restore? The AK 559N I have been working on will take about 2 months in total, though the last 2 weeks will mostly be drying time and buffing the cabinet. I think this is important. Many of us happen onto a bunch of radios at one time:

Attachment:
20160829_101025MED.JPG
20160829_101025MED.JPG [ 70.7 KiB | Viewed 512 times ]

A recent haul

It is reasonable to want to clear the floor. And to address your compliment about being the Alpha - more likely a type A personality - driven to clean up the mess. I know that I am not alone and the challenge is to take the time to do a good job.

For the record, the picture above is about 1/3 of the radios given to me by Jerry (see blog) last summer. They were destined to be parted out or trashed (not that Jerry wanted to). In those pictured all but one has been restored, one was sold and one was parted out.

I have found it necessary to redress issues after a project is complete. Often this involves original parts that become available after the project has moved on to the display. For me, at lest, it is difficult to take a "finished" radio back apart to add a few parts that were unavailable before. Sometimes I am unhappy with the finish on a cabinet (see the story of the Stratosphere - refinished twice). And, every once in a while, radios need to be serviced for things like noisy controls/switches since they are displayed - plugged in - ready to play.

Purest, or just psycho, possibly. It is just that I am not going to show my work, whatever it might be, unless it is very good - not perfect. because, in fact, "perfect" is wrong. A painting can be perfect. The best an old radio can be is original or at least looking like it is new.

I am retired now. So I have some time. For many time is a luxury. It is not advisable to ignore your family and friends for the sake of old radios - though having friends who like old radios is great.

My suggestion to all is to avoid stacking up too many projects. If the thrill of the hunt is your thing, resell radios that you would otherwise stack in the garage. If you don't want to spend time restoring radios, find a few nice ones, sweep out the mouse poop, and display them tastefully ( the definition of "tastefully" is: What ever your wife thinks is appropriate). For those wanting to do restorations, (we can't all afford to purchase show-pieces) take your time. Pick out project radios that you want to keep avoid the rest. Practice on a few cheap radios and give them way. Then when you find something nice, spend some time doing the best job that you can.

Attachment:
B&A AK559MED.JPG
B&A AK559MED.JPG [ 108.37 KiB | Viewed 512 times ]

Last edited by phlogiston on Feb Mon 20, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 20, 2017 6:36 pm 

P.S. The ferrin' radio in the group:

Attachment:
20160903_114702MED.JPG
20160903_114702MED.JPG [ 95.95 KiB | Viewed 511 times ]

http://www.russoldradios.com/blog/40-old-radios

PostPosted: Feb Mon 20, 2017 7:05 pm 

How long did it take? I cant say I don't count and do have other hobbies. Good advice this "...For those wanting to do restorations, (we can't all afford to purchase show-pieces) take your time. Pick out project radios that you want to keep avoid the rest."

Over the years I have moved to this and I don't know why we have an inclination to get it finished but that has to be curbed. The worst thing I can say to my self is that will do: it just means it wont and I have to do rework later. Do the best job you can and if you can afford it and its a 'keeper' don't worry about the cost, well within reason !!

I'm retired and have no room left so the longer it takes is almost a good a good thing as I don't need another one to get my fix. Finding homes for ones I know longer really want is the problem. Like you the display is important as well and going around and seeing which ones now need something fixed.

The cabinet on the Stew was difficult and I cant get a really good picture of it, not one that does it justice. Some of the crackle finish was bad and so I built over it with epoxy before an engraving tool and painting. Even I find it hard to spot. Its odd that I did the grill different to the original, simply a mistake and yet I had pics and diagrams. One day it may get put right ...

Getting the chassis out and in is a pig !!

Attachment:
Original radio WEB.jpg
Original radio WEB.jpg [ 109.97 KiB | Viewed 506 times ]

Attachment:
In the lounge WEB 2.jpg
In the lounge WEB 2.jpg [ 90.57 KiB | Viewed 506 times ]

Attachment:
Cabinet corner detail WEB.jpg
Cabinet corner detail WEB.jpg [ 66.21 KiB | Viewed 506 times ]

Attachment:
Pretty estcutcheon WEB.jpg
Pretty estcutcheon WEB.jpg [ 110.64 KiB | Viewed 506 times ]

No one wanted it in an auction but I could see the potential in it and over here its a rare radio, maybe the only one in the UK. The dealer begged me to take it for £50 after a haggle and I couldn't walk away. The speaker and sound is excellent and its a wonderful room heater !

Gary

PostPosted: Feb Mon 20, 2017 7:31 pm 

SW was bad at designing a radio for service. Anybody that has worked on the common 300 model knows this well.

Also very nice. Does that speaker have an amp in it? Rectifier/power supply?

I have that radio on display and the speaker in storage, but the speaker/cabinet has no amp/supply and I think that is why it is "waiting on parts".

PostPosted: Feb Mon 20, 2017 9:12 pm 

have considered adding a post on the 1929/1930 radios built with clocks. I find these very interesting. It was a good idea, like adding a camera to a cell phone, but it did not last long and wasn't taken up again in mass until the concept became the classic clock radio that sits on the nightstand of just about everybody at the end of the 20th century.

These are typically more valuable than rare and the display would be to illustrate a trend/style that did not take off until about 10 years later. Anybody interested?

PostPosted: Feb Mon 20, 2017 10:51 pm 

Sure!
I have one in that category. A 1933 Silvertone model 1722 with a Pennwood Numechron built-in.

-Steve

Attachments:
silvertone1722.jpg
silvertone1722.jpg [ 68.66 KiB | Viewed 484 times ]

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2017 1:25 am 

Well since I have paid for a subscription to that "Pay to Play sight I thought I might ad a few advertisements that appeared for the Oakland Automotive Specialty Company.
From what I found for advertisements it seems that by early 1925 the company was giving up on print media advertising. None of the ads i found mentioned a Superhet radio.
Alan

Here is the earliest ad I ran into for the Oakland Automotive Specialty Company, from the June 29, 1924 Oakland Tribune newspaper.
Attachment:
USA_Oakland Specialty Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jun_29__1924_.jpg
USA_Oakland Specialty Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jun_29__1924_.jpg [ 152.35 KiB | Viewed 478 times ]

Here is a July 13, 1924 Oakland Tribune advertisement. This ad stated the company was now also building radios.
Attachment:
USA_Oakland Specialty Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jul_13__1924_.jpg
USA_Oakland Specialty Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jul_13__1924_.jpg [ 140.42 KiB | Viewed 478 times ]

Here is the last advertisement I found for the company in the Oakland Tribune dated Feb. 1, 1925.
Attachment:
USA Oakland Specialty Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Feb_1__1925_.jpg
USA Oakland Specialty Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Feb_1__1925_.jpg [ 45.13 KiB | Viewed 478 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2017 1:47 am 

Since they were selling radios to customers face to face rather than mail-order they probably did not want to risk advertising a superheterodyne for fear of attracting the attention of RCA's legal team. They could offer a super at their sales office or demonstrated in a customers home.

Last edited by phlogiston on Feb Tue 21, 2017 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2017 1:51 am 

great pics and website, thanks!

PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2017 1:52 am 

great pics and website, thanks!

PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2017 10:04 am 

The SW does not have a separate Amp Russ. Just a very nice unit with an open field coil when I got it (and phase splitter transformer to the 45's). Field is shunt at about 6K and 44,000 turns !!

Attachment:
Speaker WEB.jpg
Speaker WEB.jpg [ 116.83 KiB | Viewed 461 times ]

What does this Pay to Play site do Big Larson ... seems to be several out there..

Gary

PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2017 10:13 am 

Nice radio Steve and clock is digital: is that 24 hour time?

Here's another but with an analogue clock, its been posted before but it so beautiful its worth seeing again. Hope the mods don't mind. Not mine but belongs to a friend. Canadian Rogers Majestic and to me it is. All original finish so I was told but to me I think it may have had a new lacquer coat at some time.

Attachment:
Canadian Rodgers WEBl.jpg
Canadian Rodgers WEBl.jpg [ 140.17 KiB | Viewed 461 times ]

Gary

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 53 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next