Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 21, 2017 6:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco 23X
PostPosted: Jun Thu 15, 2017 10:46 pm 

Just brought home this beautiful 1932 Philco 23X radio/phono console. What an impressive, imposing radio it is.
Found it on Craigslist for $60, and had to leave it the first time as it was too heavy to bring up the seller's stairs on my own. So I came back today, took it mostly apart and was able to get it up that way. Overall the cabinet is in excellent condition, with veneer chips at the bottom which I'll have to address. I don't know anything about early horseshoe style magnetic pickups, so I'll have a friend restore/rewind it for me. Hopefully the motor's good. The chassis is very clean and untouched.

Does anyone here have clear, high res schematics, a parts list and/or service information on this set? The schematic on Nostalgiaair is too blurry for me to read, and does not have a parts list. Thank you!

Ted
Attachment:
23X01.jpg
23X01.jpg [ 128.45 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

Attachment:
23x05.jpg
23x05.jpg [ 67.38 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

Attachment:
23x10.jpg
23x10.jpg [ 98.37 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

Attachment:
23x09.jpg
23x09.jpg [ 99.12 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

Attachment:
23x07.jpg
23x07.jpg [ 94.05 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

Attachment:
23X02.jpg
23X02.jpg [ 134.45 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

Attachment:
23x08.jpg
23x08.jpg [ 165.87 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

Attachments:
23x04.jpg
23x04.jpg [ 63.08 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

Post subject: Re: Philco 23X
PostPosted: Jun Thu 15, 2017 11:07 pm 

You did really good for $60.00. This was a very high end Philco model in it's day. Very nice unit with impressive styling. What is the condition of the grill cloth?

Try this site: Philcorepairbench.com

Chuck has a master list of all pre-WWII Philco models. His schematics are around $7.00 and include all information pertaining to the model inquired about. Well worth the $7.00. A blow up of the original schematic is also included with complete parts list and values. I have a book on the black boxes with part numbers and values if you need any not given on his site.

A rare radio you have obtained. Worth pulling out all the stops on this restoration.

Jon

PostPosted: Jun Thu 15, 2017 11:24 pm 

I'll second Ketron's recommendation of philcorepairbench.com - for $7 you'll receive the high quality documentation this restoration deserves. In the mean time, the Riders scans at the American Radio History site (http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Rider-Manual.htm ) are pretty good. The 23X appears to use the 91 Run 221 chassis with the addition of the phono pickup and hardware, and it's documented in Riders Volume 3 pages Philco 3-39 through 3-46.

I think you'll be very pleased with radio when you're done!

Edit:

PS: are those the original brass Mershon electrolytics on the chassis? Too cool!

PostPosted: Jun Thu 15, 2017 11:44 pm 

Yeah, I should go to him. I bought service documents there for my 37 and 38-690s. Great stuff, very comprehensive. Until then, thanks for the tip on the schematic. I have Riders 6-up, but for Riders 1-5 I only have the abridged version. Hopefully that chassis is in there.

The speaker cloth will need to be replaced. It's got a big tear up top. Looks like someone put a foot through it; the speaker cone behind it has a missing section but small enough that I should be able to patch it. And yes they are original electrolytics! Love them.

UPDATE: Just purchased the service info for this set from Philco Repair Bench. I was very happy to see that he now accepts debit/credit card/Paypal. The last two times I used him I had to send a check. So much more convenient now! It turns out I have most of the paperwork in my Riders Vol.1-5 abridged volume, but I'm going to order anyway to make sure I have a comprehensive set of paperwork.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 16, 2017 1:29 am 

What a Beautiful Unit,,Beam of light phono arm,,,,I don't see any horseshoe speakers thou,,,Chassis looks like New underside,,,them nice copper capacitors ,,,save them---just may need to rebuilt them inside,,,Happy Trails ,,,hope all goes well---CHEERS :D :D

PostPosted: Jun Fri 16, 2017 1:37 am 

Oh yes. Electrolytics and Bakelite caps will all be re-stuffed. I would also like to make some repro dogbone resistors. We'll see.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 16, 2017 2:16 am 

Kenny B. wrote:
What a Beautiful Unit,,Beam of light phono arm,,,,I don't see any horseshoe speakers thou,,,Chassis looks like New underside,,,them nice copper capacitors ,,,save them---just may need to rebuilt them inside,,,Happy Trails ,,,hope all goes well---CHEERS :D :D

Kenny, no pun intended, the record unit on this model does not have the Beam of light tone arm. What is present is a stock RCA tone arm rebranded Philco and magnetic horseshoe pickup head. Common to see this type of tone arm on many different makes until the mid 1930's. This unit uses dynamic speakers with a field coil present on each. Horseshoe magnetic speakers were no longer popular by this time period in radio manufacturing and considered old technology by the early 1930's. The "Beam of light" was utilized by Philco near the end of 1930's into the 1940's.

Jon

Last edited by ketron281989 on Jun Fri 16, 2017 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 16, 2017 2:18 am 

Diverted wrote:
Oh yes. Electrolytics and Bakelite caps will all be re-stuffed. I would also like to make some repro dogbone resistors. We'll see.

Glad to hear!

Jon

PostPosted: Jun Fri 16, 2017 2:51 am 

I love the style of that cabinet. Its a precursor to the style seen alot in the 1935 models.

btw, for those wondering about that tone arm style.
It is RCA's "Inertia tone arm" There are two weights in the "wings" to add mass to the arm. This helps improve bass response by not allowing the arm to twist.
It is compensated by a weight in the rear behind the pivot point.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jun Sat 17, 2017 1:56 pm 

You might reach out to ARF member Fred Taylor. He restored a 23X and wrote about it here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=279391&hilit=philco+23x

GL,

Terry

PostPosted: Jun Sat 17, 2017 2:31 pm 

Can't wait to see how it comes out. If it's anything like the others you've done, it should be beautiful. Keep us posted.

People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 17, 2017 6:57 pm 

That restoration by Fred Taylor is beautiful! Thanks for that link.
And thanks for the compliment on my restorations :) I consider myself very much an amateur but do try to do my best. I'll post pix as I go through the set. To date all I've done is check out the field coils and various transformer and choke windings. So far so good. I have a bunch of stuff lined up to do before I get to this; maybe in a week or two I'll start.

I remember reading here at some point about one member's method for making repro dogbone resistors. I haven't been able to find that thread. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Ted

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 7:08 pm 

There is an article on radio museum "replicating old dogbone resistors"

It's probably just a bad tube or something?
If it has a short, can you make it longer?

PostPosted: Jun Tue 20, 2017 12:12 am 

Also one on the Philco Phorum

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=5501

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!