Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 18, 2018 4:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Radio manuals-- original or digital
PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 2:07 am 

Anyone have a good resource for finding user operation manuals, either original prints or digitized? Looking for Silvertone ones from the 1930s. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Radio manuals-- original or digital
PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 3:20 pm 

silvertone4468 wrote:
Anyone have a good resource for finding user operation manuals, either original prints or digitized? Looking for Silvertone ones from the 1930s. Thanks!
First welcome to the forums.

Manuals are tough. Few survive and there does not seem to be any general repository for them. Schematics (some including parts lists, alignment instructions and component layouts) are much easier to come by from multiple sources, but I don't think that is what you are looking for (Riders, Beitmans, SAMS, etc.).

I lucked out and found a good scan of a slightly beat up Zenith 9S262 manual one day and that was important to me because our family has owned one from since it was new (manual long gone).

Best of luck on your search.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 3:54 pm 

Hi silvertone4468 and welcome!

As Curtis says, original owner's manuals are hard to find. These were included with almost every consumer radio when new, but most were lost over the years. On more popular collectible radios, some of these have been been reproducted or scanned and are available at several websites. Also, some occasionally turn up on eBay.

In spite of this, you should post exactly what you are looking for. There is always the outside chance that someone here might have one.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 22, 2018 2:03 am 

Thank you Eickerman and Poston!

I've managed to find a schematic for my Silvertone 4468. Will continue my search for a manual. I inherited the radio from my grandparents who received it new as a wedding gift back in the day, so just looking for sentimental purposes.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 22, 2018 3:30 am 

I specialize primarily in 50's vintage Hi-fi gear and have binders of original manuals - but they are getting harder and harder to find, and much more expensive than they used to be. I use the originals where I can, but downloads and Sams are usually adequate where necessary.