Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Mon 19, 2018 8:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Interest in 20's Battery Radios
PostPosted: Jul Sat 07, 2018 5:33 am 

I agree they are fairly common, but the condition they are in is extremely rare on Ebay or anywhere else. I have the same Dayton you have without the glass case. It's a nice radio.
I do have some rare ones you seldom see for sale, AK Model 1 and 3 plus a Deforest MR6.
What are some of the uncommon ones you have Michael?

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)

PostPosted: Jul Sat 07, 2018 6:15 am 

OK, here's some of my uncommon sets. At least the ones that I have photographs of.

1925 C. E. Hallen" Leutz C-7 Superheterodyne, Chicago, Illinois

1926 Buckwalter "Supertone" Superheterodyne

1926 Elgin "Super-Reinartz", Elgin Radio Supply Company, 207 E. Chicago Street, Elgin, Illinois, USA (No Longer Have)

1925 "Liberty Sr.", Parker Radio Company, 119 East Liberty Street, Cincinnati, Ohio USA

1926 9-In-Line Superheterodyne, High Frequency Laboratories, 135D North Wells Street, Chicago, Illinois USA

1924 Leutz C Superheterodyne, Experimenters Information Service, 220 West 42nd. Street, 23 Floor, New York, New York, USA

1928 Leutz "Transoceanic" Phantom, C. R. Leutz Inc., Sixth and Washington Avenues, Long Island City, New York, USA

1929 Remler "29" Superheterodyne, Remler Division, Grey & Danielson Mfg. Co., 260 First St., San Francisco, California, USA

1928 Remler "Infradyne" Superheterodyne, Remler Division, Grey & Danielson Mfg. Co., 260 First St., San Francisco, California USA

1927 E. H. Scott "World's Record Super 10" Superheterodyne, Scott Transformer Company, 7620 N. Eastlake Terrace, Chicago, Illinois, USA

1928 E. H. Scott "Worlds Record Shield Grid 9" Superheterodyne, Scott Transformer Company, 4448 Ravenswood Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, USA

1927 Melo-Heald "11" Superheterodyne

1927 Silver-Marshall "Improved Shielded Laboratory Model Receiver" Superheterodyne, Silver-Marshall Incorporated, 846 W. Jackson Blvd., Chicago, Illinois, USA

1928 Silver-Marshall 710 "Sargent-Rayment Seven", Silver-Marshall Incorporated, 846 W. Jackson Blvd., Chicago, Illinois, USA

1923 Moore Original "Radio Demon" Type Y, Electric Service Products Company, Exclusive Distributors, 214 W. Madison Street, 10 S. Wells Street, Chicago, Illinois, USA

1925 Victoreen Superheterodyne, Victoreen Radio Inc., 6526 Carnegie Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio, USA

1926 Cardinola 2N, Cardinola Radio Corporation, 339 North Capitol Avenue, Third Floor, Indianapolis, Indiana USA

1928 "Le Pilote", Imperial Radio Laboritories, 201 South Columbia Street, Union City, Indiana USA

1924 "Lyradion", Lyradion Manufacturing Co., Plant 5, Dodge Manufactoring Co., 550 Union St., Mishawaka, Indiana, USA

1925 "Skylark" Type M08, Skylark Radio Corporation, A Division of the J. W. Whitlock Corporation, Rising Sun, Indiana

1926 "Skylark" Type M08 - 151, Skylark Radio Corporation, A Division of the J. W. Whitlock Corporation, Rising Sun, Indiana USA

This is basically what the 1920s part of my collection looks like.

atwaterkent1 wrote:
I do have some rare ones you seldom see for sale, AK Model 1 and 3 plus a Deforest MR6.

Your off to a great start. Why sell them?

PostPosted: Jul Sat 07, 2018 11:07 am 

I'm not selling them, just saying you don't see them for sale very often. I've never seen an AK 1 for sale on Ebay.

You've got some very cool radios there, great collection. I like the C7 with the two meters and the Transoceanic Phantom, very different from the run of the mill radios.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 07, 2018 1:41 pm 

I confess, I love the 20's sets. It wasn't always so, but it is to the point that I am considering getting rid of most of my other sets.

It started with a Browning Drake. I swear I only wanted the experience of using a two control set with regeneration. Then I was wondering about the three-dialers and along came the Dayton XL10. Yes, I am hooked. I now have several, and some of them are some 'way out there' designs. Tuned plate RF circuits with regeneration on the detector as well, another with an RCA RF transformer I have not really begun to restore or explore yet, an Aussie version of the Browning Drake with Airzone core-free coils and Philips UX based A409 tubes, and finally, a Karas Orthometric three-dialer TRF with regenerative capability on all three RF stages (I need a manual for that one!).

There are more sets, but when I light one up, it is always an adventure. What will I hear? The local programming doesn't satisfy me, so I pick a station farther away, and some of these sets are really something. It is hard to beat listening to books read on the air for the blind, really peaceful.

I am also a member of "Radios from the 1920s" on Facebook. Look for Corn Binder. I'm a bit of a privacy freak, so that is why I do not use my real here or Facebook unless in a post...

Lindsey

PostPosted: Jul Sat 07, 2018 7:33 pm 

Saw this on Ebay and figured out the reason Michael doesn't like three dialers is because there too darn expensive!!! :shock:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232810069746?ul_noapp=true

PostPosted: Jul Mon 09, 2018 10:58 am 

I have had an interest in battery sets since I was a kid in the 1950's when I discovered my fathers then retired radio (Tuska 222) in our home in Chesterfield, MA.
He used to tell me about the stations he picked up and the entertainment that was on the air back then. This led to a sign on the front lawn where people used to drop off unwanted radios. Lots of collecting evolution since then. After an extensive Atwater Kent collecting period during which I gathered all the AK non battery table model sets I could, I have for the last twenty five years or so have restricted myself to unknown or nearly so, manufactured sets of which are practically now non existent. I spend a lot of time trying to research these manufacturers including showing some on the "Obsolete Battery Set" thread here. They seem to represent a time of magic in the early days of radio and I like to look at each one and imagine the thrill they brought to their first owner and his family - nearly 100 years ago now..
1930's sets are very nice indeed but seem "new" to me but certainly they are more attractive in other ways.

Attachments:
Merrill-Bancroft-11.JPG
Merrill-Bancroft-11.JPG [ 161.65 KiB | Viewed 540 times ]
Merrill-Bancroft-20.JPG
Merrill-Bancroft-20.JPG [ 163.9 KiB | Viewed 540 times ]
Merrill-Bancroft-21.JPG
Merrill-Bancroft-21.JPG [ 171.94 KiB | Viewed 540 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Mon 09, 2018 12:15 pm 

Extraordinary collection, Merrill.

--Grant

PostPosted: Jul Mon 09, 2018 12:34 pm 

Nice collection. I couldn't help noticing the near total lack of 3 dialers there. Maybe that's what makes your collection just that much more interesting.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 09, 2018 1:29 pm 

My main interest is in the 1920s radios also.
It looks like Merrill has a great collection. I like these early sets. I also like the 3-dialer TRFs.
I would probably have a few 3-dialers also, but just don't have the room.
What really excites me is the collection that Michael has!
I like the superhets also, and limit my collecting to just 1920s superhets :D

PostPosted: Jul Mon 09, 2018 1:43 pm 

Have to admit that I do have some three dialers and I like them - Freshman, QT Light Evening Hour, some AC Dayton's, Clapp-Eastham Gold Star etc. but they are in the barn with the magazines and speakers. Some are nostalgia items. Here are a few more pictures that Robert Lozier took. It was easy to accumulate 500 radios if you collect enough years and are consistent. - 65 years for me.
Superhets are very nice, I have traded off a few Leutz sets etc. but I had to stop somewhere. I don't think the good Lord is going to ask me how many radios I had.

Attachments:
Merrill-Bancrof-8[1].JPG
Merrill-Bancrof-8[1].JPG [ 138.18 KiB | Viewed 527 times ]
Merrill-Bancroft-1.JPG
Merrill-Bancroft-1.JPG [ 195.35 KiB | Viewed 527 times ]
Merrill-Bancroft-2.JPG
Merrill-Bancroft-2.JPG [ 163.91 KiB | Viewed 527 times ]
Merrill-Bancroft-4[1].JPG
Merrill-Bancroft-4[1].JPG [ 142.74 KiB | Viewed 527 times ]
Merrill-Bancroft-6[1].JPG
Merrill-Bancroft-6[1].JPG [ 122.54 KiB | Viewed 527 times ]
Merrill-Bancroft-16.JPG
Merrill-Bancroft-16.JPG [ 188.85 KiB | Viewed 527 times ]
Merrill-Bancroft-21.JPG
Merrill-Bancroft-21.JPG [ 171.94 KiB | Viewed 527 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 12:38 am 

Merrill Bancroft wrote:
Have to admit that I do have some three dialers and I like them - ...QT Light Evening Hour...

That's GOT to be the coolest name ever for a 3 dialer. Please post a photo of it some time.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 1:40 am 

Great collection Merrill !! Noticed some AK's in there also.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 7:45 am 

I thought I'd share the most recent find, anybody recognize it? Three hints, it was a kit, it has vernier tuning similar to early National Velvet dials, and the top two knobs on the right have been added.

Does anyone recognize the cabinet? I have not seen one like that before.

Attachments:
100_2631resize.jpg
100_2631resize.jpg [ 212.72 KiB | Viewed 474 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 2:00 pm 

1920's radios have been my primary interest since I started collecting
in 1975. The first two were a Radiola 20 and a Guthrie Nightingale 6.

Its very easy to fill your shop, house, garage, shed and storage units
with these. It seems that many were saved by their original owners
and passed down. So many around that most collectors have
been saturated long ago.

Still stumble across new additions occasionally without trying
very hard. The latest was a Radiola IIIA in the RCA Deluxe
cabinet.

My collecting interest has expanded considerably to include
wireless, 1930's (esp cathedrals) and 1940's-'50's ham radio
equipment but 1920's radios will always have a special spot.
Steve

PostPosted: Jul Sun 15, 2018 1:31 am 

I started with three-dialers when I was 12, when my dad gave me a Freed model 60 which I still have. Over the years my tastes have changed, though I'll still pick one up if the price is right, the condition is exceptional and it's an infrequently seen model.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 15, 2018 1:57 pm 

My main interest shifted to 1920's battery sets not long after I acquired my first one about 4 years ago. My collection now consisted of between 50 and 60 sets, running about 60-40. 60% 1930's and up, the rest 1920's battery sets. My wife prefers the 1930's for the styling. There's just something about the earlier sets that fascinate me. One of my favorites right now is my Aeriola Sr. With the wooden panel and silvered dials which is in excellent condition and works great. That and my very good condition Grebe Synchrophase that looks as if it just came from Captain Nemo's submarine. It amazes me just how little it takes for a radio to actually work. I enjoy the industrial look of the styling on them. I enjoy the history of the sets produced during "the Wild West of radio" when just about anybody with manufacturing capability seemed to be making radios. Many of these earlier sets I find are actually in very good condition. Better condition in fact than many later sets I find. I'm guessing they were bought, used for a short time and then replaced in the home by newer, fancier, more stylish sets that ran on a/c. The 1920's sets were then stashed away for keepsakes or future use should power fail. Who knows. But it appears many were kept in good storage conditions for decades. I usually clean my sets as much as possible to make them look nice, repair what is necessary to get them working and then just leave them be. I would like to have one or two ARBEIII in order to have a couple set up for immediate use to show off to friends. That is in the future. For now I just hook up the batteries occasionally and play period music with my cell phone thru my SSTRAN.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 16, 2018 4:43 am 

Hi Groundhog - I also collect 20's radios. I have four K101A battery eliminators and one ARBE. Most 20's sets will work fine with the smaller, far less expensive K101A. I seldom use the ARBE because of it's size takes up more room on my bench. Buy yourself a K101A and assemble it yourself, it's actually fun.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/kit-power-supply

PostPosted: Jul Mon 16, 2018 4:04 pm 

Just purchased my first Atwater Kent Model 20C, and Arthur Atwater Kent's Laboratories are a couple of miles from me, at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA. Looking for someone to help me with restoration. Arthur

PostPosted: Jul Wed 18, 2018 3:05 am 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
Hi Groundhog - I also collect 20's radios. I have four K101A battery eliminators and one ARBE. Most 20's sets will work fine with the smaller, far less expensive K101A. I seldom use the ARBE because of it's size takes up more room on my bench. Buy yourself a K101A and assemble it yourself, it's actually fun.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/kit-power-supply

Thanks for the tip. I have considered those, especially since I can
get 3 of those for the price of the ARBE. Nice to hear from someone who uses them. I will most likely do exactly that.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 59 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3