Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Tue 19, 2018 3:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Obscure early battery sets
PostPosted: Sep Mon 03, 2012 2:45 am 

Also, what the heck are those terminals "LOAD" and "GRID LOAD" for? Maybe it's a transmitter, not a receiver? Or, maybe some sort of hookup for an external tickler or other regenerative device to get around a patent issue?
DD
External grid and plate loading coils? A early 1915 or so long distance receiver design. The last use of the design that I've found is around 1927. The coils dropped out of the catalogs after WWI.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 11, 2012 6:55 pm 

I thought I would see if we could jump start this thread. I know there are still lots of great radios we haven't seen yet. :lol:

I finally cleaned up my Cleartone Goldcrest Model 60 for pictures. Quite an attractive 1920's set and one of my favorites.

Alan

I created a new model page at radiomuseum.org and uploaded detailed picture there. http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/cleartone_goldcrest_model_60_late_version.html

Last edited by bigalarsen on Sep Tue 11, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 11, 2012 9:39 pm 

That is a pretty set Alan. I had a spell a few years ago trying to find all of the Cleartone radios as well as literature and I think I am missing only the smallest one tube set from the metal panel era. The Silverset and the Faraway sets were clones (except for the lettering on the panels) as you probably know.
I was also lucky to find the latter three sets as well and most recently the weird horn speaker with the double curve.
The panels were finished using the same technique as were the clock faces made by the clock company which occupied the same plant. I visited the plant some years ago now and most of it is still there. I can put some photos of other Cleartone stuff on here if you or anyone else is interested.
How did you get your panel looking so good? They are next to impossible to clean without getting down to the brass.
Jon Lemming knows Cleartone history but he seems reluctant to share it - with me at least.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 11, 2012 11:17 pm 

There was at least one other Faraway set but these two are the early ones and the insides
are clones to the corresponding Cleartone models
The platinum color has been rubbed off the smaller one.
The were usually advertised together.

The Model F is shown with peepholes in the ads I have seen but I have never seen one.
The smaller is model R, the larger is model F.

Last edited by Merrill Bancroft on Sep Mon 17, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 12, 2012 5:15 am 

Nice sets Merrill! Can't be too many of the Model R's around. Yes, I had to redo the panel on my Cleartone. The right side had something under the clear coat on the right side of the panel and was beyond repair. I tried to fix just the heavily tarnished spots but that didn't work at all. I finally relented and removed the front panel stripped it and carefully sanded the panel with a large body shop sanding block using 360 sand paper and then cleared it with brass lacquer clear. It turned out quite nice especially compared to what I started with. Do you have any of the 1922 Cleartone units?

Alan

PostPosted: Sep Thu 13, 2012 2:35 am 

This is a very rare and early Tuska 223 which was sold as a kit in late 1921 and early 1922.
This is the only one I have seen.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 13, 2012 4:46 pm 

This is a fairly rare Tuska 222 Regenerative Receiver from 1922.

:oops: Thanks Merrill for catching the incorrect model number in the post. I was cleaning up my Tuska 223 for pictures when I decided to take pictures of the 222 instead because it was already clean. Then I had 223 on the brain when I clearly know better. I had even looked at Alan's book and saw the picture of your 222.

Here is the 222 with the Tuska 226 Two-Step Audio Amplifier

Last edited by bigalarsen on Sep Thu 13, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 13, 2012 5:14 pm 

Alan:
I think you will find that to be a 222. See early pages of Douglas Vol 1.
That is also quite rare.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 14, 2012 3:57 pm 

Ok Merrill, here are pictures of my "actual" Tuska 223 Three Circuit Tuner

The chassis

This is the interior. Someone added a Dayton variable condenser in series with the ground circuit. I was going to remove it and repair the extra hole in the front panel but have decided against it for now. The Dayton Variable condenser is very early too.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 17, 2012 5:29 pm 

Alan, very very nice Cleartone 60! I also have one and had to re-do the panels on all of mine. Will post a model 80 later today. Question, what is the black tubular object mounted on the base panel next to the transformers? mine is missing, and Im going to reproduce one (fake unfortunately) so mine looks complete. Do you have any other interesting Cincy made sets? I have a rare crosley two step but its rough and needs a good restoration before I can post it.

"55 KRC" - Cincinnati's WKRC (Kodel Radio Corporation)

PostPosted: Sep Mon 17, 2012 5:39 pm 

Merrill - Im only reluctant to share because The history is in my 400 page book on Cincinnati manufacturing, and I dont want to spill the beans so to speak before publicaton, which, who knows, everytime I get ready to go, I find something new, but please dont be offended, its not you, Im just protecting my info until publication. You are correct though, your faraways and silverset were actually made by the Cleartone plant in parts. They were assembled by Faraway, and Silverset independently. Silverset was owned by the same men who owned Roll-o radio, which is also in my book. They were Jobbers so to speak. I still would love for you to send some great photos of te Fraways for my book, and you will get credit in the book for it. I just need the photos you want published, and a simple statement that it is ok to include them in my bkk with mention that you donated them and own them. Guys, we need an obscure early crystal thread like this, I have 5 or 6 early obscure cincinnati crystal sets, including a "Bird" radio

PostPosted: Sep Mon 17, 2012 6:23 pm 

Erin,
We are awaiting the publication of your Cincinnati radio book. The little black tube is a Federal RF transformer as used in the Federal radios. Here is a link to an old ebay auction for one. They are not that hard to find and show up frequently on ebay. I just looked and Gary has several open ones listed for $5. Better head over there right now!

http://www.oldradioparts.com/2a6flb.txt

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/federal-57-58-59-61-110-tube-radio-rf-transformer

PostPosted: Sep Mon 17, 2012 8:26 pm 

I will make an attempt to take some pictures Jon.
I am also anxious to see your book. There seems to be more companies come to light every day.
Here is the Moore Radio Demon with matching amp.
The Electric Service Products Company manufactured these radios and others that were published in the Chicago Daily News newspaper and they were had exclusive dealership for these radios. The manufacturer used many high quality components, many of which were nickel-plated. I have gotten several versions of the Radio Demon including the more elaborate model Y. Some had more engraving on the panel than others. I believe the cabinets were not included.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 18, 2012 3:20 am 

anyone have any united radio and metal stamping radios made in Cincinnati? - ALan and Merrill - thanks for the wonderful photos of your sets - these are great!

PostPosted: Sep Tue 18, 2012 4:09 am 

by the way, my cleartone 60 has a serial number of 8831 on its brass tag.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 21, 2012 5:23 am 

While not really obscure by themselves I thought I would display a picture of three different styles of the Harko radios paired with three different Two-Steps. Not very often are they pictured together. The top Harko is the early 1922 version. The middle one is the Dec. 1922 Tri-City built regenerative Harko and the bottom one is the late 1922 Crosley built version.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 21, 2012 3:59 pm 

Alan, great line up - can I use that photo in my book?? I have a 2 step that I bought at Lansing one time, I believe it is a "2B"

PostPosted: Sep Sat 22, 2012 1:04 am 

My Cleartone Clearodyne super 80. This one was produced in the Cincinnati Gilbert Avenue plant. This radio belonged to Louis Rouse, who owned the the exclusive service repair facility for Cleartone in the 1930's.

Attachments:
DSC_0307rresize.jpg
DSC_0307rresize.jpg [ 59.61 KiB | Viewed 2001 times ]
DSC_0309resize.jpg
DSC_0309resize.jpg [ 44.49 KiB | Viewed 2001 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Sat 22, 2012 7:14 am 

Very nice Erin! You can use my Harko photo in your book but I might re-shoot the group for you. I know I can do a better job than that! That picture was taken several years ago.

Here is a picture of my Beckley-Ralston Blue Ribbon Regenerative Receiver and it's matching two-step amp. The receiver was built by Tri-City Electric Supply

PostPosted: Sep Mon 24, 2012 1:34 am 

Back from Kutztown. We had a real fun time. Long drive though.
I got the cabinets for the Moore Radio Demon sets which I had a friend make.
His usual fine job.
Also got a wooden crate for my AK 4066 breadboard. Never saw an AK shipping box that early.
My find favorite find there fits in this category - a Telmaco BR1 from 1923 or so as shown below. Also in the picture at the bottom is yet another different Moore Radio Demon, Ozarka (the first one I think), Fada 140a and part of an Owl which I no nothing about.
The Telmaco resembles the Beckley Ralston that Alan has on here. This was also made by Tri-Cities.
I'll try to get some Cleartone sets on after things settle down around here.
My 73rd birthday today. I really don't look a day over 72.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 732 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 37  Next