Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: The Souvenir Shop :: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Wed 23, 2014 8:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith Stereophonic High Fidelity found in trash
PostPosted: Sep Tue 27, 2011 4:43 pm 

I found this Zenith Stereophonic that had just been put out on the side of the road yesterday. I don't know much about this kind of thing but I do love listening to music and this thing just caught my eye so I threw it in the back of my pickup (not easy by myself). I got it home and was surprised that it works, even the record player. At first there was a vibration in the right speaker but after a while it went away and it seems that the sound got better and clearer as the night went on. I stayed out late in the garage listening to it.

I have a few questions:

Does anyone have an idea of when this was built or have any other information on this model?

Is it supposed to shock you when you touch certain areas of metal on the tuner and record player? I'd like to fix that unless someone tells me that is normal.

The record player is like nothing I have ever seen. I'm 38 years old, I had a tape deck when I was a kid. I just started buying records recently. Is the player supposed to do anything other than play a single side of a single record? Does anyone have instructions on how to play it? Sometimes it starts right up other times I have to give the record a little push, I'm sure I'm just not doing it right.

Pictures are below. Thanks in advace for any advice you can give me on this cool old radio.

Post subject: Re: Zenith Stereophonic High Fidelity found in trash
PostPosted: Sep Tue 27, 2011 4:54 pm 

Nice find! Not really an antique (Unless you are calling ME an antique) :shock:

This is mid to late 1960s. A model number or better yet, the chassis number will help get the model year.
The cabinet is a French Provincial style and is probably Cherry.

The changer probably needs a new rubber idler wheel and a good going over to lubricate it. Some of these changers have a 45 RPM spindle that folds up out of the turntable platter.

The "shock" or tingle as often is the case is probably defective capacitors between the AC line and chassis. Though, it could be leakage within the transformer if it was kept in a damp environment.

Often during these years, Zenith made these sets with tubes in the radio and transistors in the amplifier.

Hope this helps.
Oh, and welcome to the forum!

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Sep Tue 27, 2011 5:58 pm 

Your stereo console probably has a VM changer. There is a wealth of information and parts for them here:

http://thevoiceofmusic.com/

PostPosted: Sep Tue 27, 2011 7:34 pm 

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this changer was made by Webster-Chicago (Webcor).

V-M didn't use a feeler arm like the one on this changer.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Sep Tue 27, 2011 9:38 pm 

You have a Very Very special set there,

This set was the very best Top-Of-the-line set you could buy from Zenith that year, Probably a 1961 or so, the Changer is in Fact Built by Zenith, It features a 45 adaptor that folds down into the platter, and is ultra Gentle on records, the amplifier and radio are probably a High powered 6BQ5 based deal, a very nice set, wish I had one.

-Nolan

PostPosted: Sep Tue 27, 2011 9:48 pm 

Doesn't look like a VM or a BSR if memory serves, and probably not. Could be a Webster or Collaro, but just can't recall. It's been a long time.

Doesn't really matter if you can get it up and running.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 27, 2011 10:46 pm 

Nolan, it sounds like you are pretty sure about the id on this. It does say Zenith on the changer. I haven't taken the cover off the back yet but I can see through it there is a board behind the radio and another on the left side from behind. Both boards appear to have tubes on them. I will take some more pictures and post them.

I have to admit, I don't know how to operate the record changer. Does this mean it will play multiple records? Again, I never had a record player until my stepdad gave me one last year he was going to take to the thrift store. He put all his records on cd and was getting rid of them too. I kept the ones I liked.

Should I be worried about the 'shock' or 'tingle'? I don't want to damage it further and definately don't want to burn the house down. Probably what I will do anyway with this is put a power strip on it and leave power to the machine off except when using it. That's what I do with an old arcade machine I have.

Thanks for all the useful information.

Tom

PostPosted: Sep Tue 27, 2011 11:31 pm 

Being a more expensive unit, this should not shock you,

I see that the Unit is on a Concrete floor, Tell me, were you barefoot when you got the shock?

If you were, put some shoes on and it will go away, if not, try reversing the electrical cord in the outlet, it is non-polarized.

As for the record changer, All you have to do is stack you LP's (Or 45's with the pop-up adaptor) on that center spindle, then, set the stabilizer arm on top of the records (this is the arm with the big Circle on it) After that, push the On/Off/Reject switch all the way over to "Reject" it will then automatically sense the size of the disc, drop it on to the platter, and set the tonearm on to it, thus starting the record, once that side is done, it will drop the next disc on the spindle, and begin to play it,

That is, if everything is working properly.

-Nolan

PostPosted: Sep Wed 28, 2011 3:01 am 

Model # MK2685

Chassis # 12K257K31

235 watts

2.5 amps

PostPosted: Sep Wed 28, 2011 3:05 am 

Look on the bottom side of the changer for a model number, or any other identification.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 28, 2011 3:12 am 

That is a "K" model which would be 1962. A little older than I originally thought!

Its quite possible Zenith made the changer themselves. though, I was unaware of that fact.
I worked at a Zenith only sales and service shop most of my working career from 1984 to 1998. The owner started his business in 1952, so he had all kinds of data on Zenith through those years. I wish i could have gotten it all when the place folded...

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Sep Wed 28, 2011 2:06 pm 

Yes, that was Zeniths Top of the line in 1962, list price was $899.95.
That is a belt driven changer that Zenith only used on their top models thru 1969. It will play a stack of ten records automatically.
It is fully tubed, there were two versions, one had the 6bq5 amp and the other had 6v6.
The changer motor most likely needs cleaned and lubed, that is why you have to push it sometimes. The belt may be stretched also.
That changer is a bit trickier to service than the standard VM or Collaro.

The amp and preamp should also be recapped to continue working reliably.

Great find, enjoy it.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 28, 2011 2:38 pm 

Nice find! Glad someone saved that from going to the dump.

As others have said, it's a 1962 model and was Zenith's top of the line. These were VERY reliable units. You may need to replace the electrolytic capacitors and selenium rectifier (if it has one) for safety's sake, but other than that, you can count on enjoying this set for many more years.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Sep Wed 28, 2011 6:14 pm 

Based on your advice I figured out how to get it to change records. All the mechanisms work and it will stop one record, drop another and start it up. The only thing is when it starts a new record it starts off really slow and takes a few seconds to get to normal speed. Is that due to the belt/motor issues?

PostPosted: Sep Wed 28, 2011 6:22 pm 

it could be a belt issue, it maybe slipping and after all these years it wouldnt suprise me.
it could also be the auto change mechanism sticking, again after all these years the original lubricant has probably gone hard and would need to be removed and reapplied.
but as everyone else has said nice rescue, good to see another lovely console being saved, enjoy it.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 23, 2011 8:37 pm 

I just got this same unit all works great. I want to remove the platter to see the belt condition
Anyone know how to remove it?
I thought it just lifted off but it won't
Send me a pm if you know how
Thanks

PostPosted: Dec Fri 23, 2011 8:48 pm 

That's a great find-I see in the grill cloth outlines it looks like your woofers are co-ax speakers with a small tweeter inside the big cone.

It seems that 50's and 60's sets are starting to get more discussion on these forums. Although it seems like the 60's for me were just a little while ago, sets like this one are now 50 years old and are truly becoming 'old' too.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 24, 2011 1:32 am 

Victrolaman wrote:
I just got this same unit all works great. I want to remove the platter to see the belt condition
Anyone know how to remove it?
I thought it just lifted off but it won't
Send me a pm if you know how
Thanks

Might be here...http://thevoiceofmusic.com/

PostPosted: Dec Sat 24, 2011 5:46 pm 

azenithnut wrote:
Nice find! Not really an antique (Unless you are calling ME an antique) :shock:

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

-Steve

Now that we know it is from 1962, in a few weeks it will be 50 years old, that qualifies as an antique.
I remember seeing ads in the subway for this, bragging about the 2-gram tracking force, when I went to high school, so now I really feel like an antique.
Don

Someone with less knowledge than I had been in there before ....

PostPosted: Dec Sat 24, 2011 6:27 pm 

Well, I've got several years to go before I'm 50.
I try to stay young at heart! I'm not going to give in to becoming an "antique" :lol:

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Moderators: sofaslug, Paul Go to page 1, 2  Next