Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 23, 2014 5:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sparton Equasonne 89-A
PostPosted: Jul Fri 20, 2012 2:01 pm 

Hello,
I am looking for some information regarding a radio that I recently became the owner of. It is a Sparton Equasonne 89-A. I know this for sure because it still has the brass plate on the outside of the console and in the inside. All of the tubes are still in it, the cabinet is in excellent shape considering it sat in a barn for many years. It really is a beautiful piece.
I do not know if it works. But I even have the paper work that shows how to hook it to an antenae from the house to another out building.
I have searched for hours on the internet looking for information about possible value. I can not find any. I have found lots of info on the schematics of the radio, but not value. I can't even find a real photograph of another. Only the sketches of the radio from the original advertisements.
Is this because it is rare to find one? Or is it because it is considered worthless and trivial?
I would like to take it this weekend to an antique show and possibly sell it, but I have not idea where to even begin.

Post subject: Re: Sparton Equasonne 89-A
PostPosted: Jul Fri 20, 2012 3:42 pm 

The Sparton 89A is a 1928 model. It was the first year they introduced the Equasonne series. Thes use a very unusual circuit called the "Technidyne".

There are a couple webpages on the Equasonne series. This isn't a very common radio, though its not highly sought after either. They can be a a bit more difficult to restore compared to most radios as the construction techniques are a little unorthodox, but its mostly straight forward once you know the setup.

One thing to do, if you do want to restore this radio, is make sure the correct tubes are installed. The 6 tubes in the amplifier box should all be #484 or 485 tubes. If someone put #27 tubes in there, the power transformer could have been stressed as they draw more current than the 484/485 tubes do.

On the power pack, there should be a larghe tube marked 585 or 250 or just 50. This tube is extremely expensive to replace! Its probably worth a few times what the entire radio is worth!

Please be careful with it and protect it any way you can. :wink:

I wouldn't plug it in until you have it checked over by someone who knows something about these radios.

Also, the speaker used in these radios is a Magnavox, and came with a leather "Chamois" surround. This is usually rotting and falling off which will need to be replaced.
though, I have seen them with replacement cones installed, so maybe you will be lucky!

Good luck with your Sparton! With a good 50 tube, its worth about $350-400. without that tube, its probably worth less than $100. :wink:

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Mar Sun 31, 2013 3:30 pm 

i found one of this type of radio, i'm told that a 71a tube will work in the place of a 50. It will not work as well but it will work.

My radio does sort of work, i think it has coil issues does anyone know how to fix that?

PostPosted: Mar Sun 31, 2013 3:52 pm 

One thing that everyone new to antique radios has to come to grips with, is that rarity does not equate with value. The value of a radio is determined by its condition, its rarity, and perhaps most importantly, its collectibility. It may be rare, but it turns out there are actually lots of individually-rare radios around. If a particular one is not seen as being collectible by collectors for any number of reasons, then it's value will never be very high.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 31, 2013 4:50 pm 

You might want to check out this site:

http://spartonequasonne.webs.com/

And in particular, this section of it:

http://spartonequasonne.webs.com/models.htm#424908043

PostPosted: Mar Sun 31, 2013 6:06 pm 

kowalkoj wrote:
i found one of this type of radio, i'm told that a 71a tube will work in the place of a 50. It will not work as well but it will work.

My radio does sort of work, i think it has coil issues does anyone know how to fix that?

I would have to disagree with the statement that a 71A will work in place of a 50. First--the filament volts on a 50 tube is 7.5 volts. Whereas a 71 is 5.0 volts. Plus the plate voltage is considerably higher in the typical operation of the 50 tube than the 71A. Max volts on a 71A is 180 whereas a 50 I believe is around 450 volts. I would not make that substitution.

As far as coils. I sold mine years ago. However I do recall having to repair a couple of coils in my set. A simple continuity check should confirm the condition of your coils. The difficult part was removing the coils to make the repair.

It is a decent playing set when restored.

Keep us posted.

Dave

http://pages.suddenlink.net/davesradios/

Last edited by Dave Slusarczyk on Mar Sun 31, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 31, 2013 6:55 pm 

the radio when i bought it had a 71a in it in place of the 50. I talked too a professional repair person out here that says it should be fine. I did get the radio to pick up only one station but there is a static the almost drowns out the station that does not seem to be influenced by the tubes

PostPosted: Mar Sun 31, 2013 7:40 pm 

Quote:
the radio when i bought it had a 71a in it in place of the 50. I talked too a professional repair person out here that says it should be fine. I did get the radio to pick up only one station but there is a static the almost drowns out the station that does not seem to be influenced by the tubes

Noisy and poor reception of the Equasonne circuit sets can often be traced to a poor connection where the RF tuning chassis-box plugs in to the tuning condenser-box - - just below or underneath the dial-scale drum:

There is a small plug assy. that looks something like the old antenna connectors used on automobile radios that connects the tuning gang to the RF amp box- - - dust, dirt and corrosion in this area can cause a lot of grief - - a thorough cleaning of this connector can produce considerable improvement to both sound quality of the set and it's sensitivity.

To the advisability of using a type '71A' tube for a type '50' - - I'm with Dave S. on this. It's a terrible substitute and not likely to work at all without some modifications to the set's circuitry.

You can substitute a type '10' for a '50' - - - but it'll probably require some dropping of the plaste voltage and certainly will require some jiggling of the bias to get it "on-the-curve."

PostPosted: Mar Sun 31, 2013 7:51 pm 

ADD:

The OP also mentioned in the initial post about not finding photos of Sparton 89-A sets - - -

From the Forum's gallery, photo(s) of Forum member Joe Cro's Sparton 89-A:

And:

PostPosted: Mar Sun 31, 2013 11:36 pm 

the chassis in my radio has two tubes in the power supply instead of one does that make any difference

PostPosted: Apr Mon 01, 2013 2:33 am 

the 281 tubes should be at the bottom on another chassis......a 71A with 400+
volts i don't think so!!!! :)

PostPosted: Apr Mon 01, 2013 8:45 pm 

here a pic of the chassis in my radio

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 246.61 KiB | Viewed 624 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Tue 02, 2013 12:59 am 

Thats odd...
I've never seen an 89A with an 80 in the upper power pack. It should have two 81s on a separate chassis with the power transformer.

I can't get to my 89A at the moment. Plus, it isn't in the best condition. The beautiful book-matched veneer top is in ruins. :(

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Apr Tue 02, 2013 5:08 am 

I agree that a 71A is a bad idea as a sub for a 585 or a 50. The data lists 180 volts maximum on the plate of a 71A and 450 volts max on the both the 585 and the 50. Any circuit designed to use the capabilities of a 585 or 50 would most likely destroy a 71A unless some rather radical circuit mods were made.

John

PostPosted: Apr Thu 04, 2013 11:19 am 

ok thanks for the tips. i think i have a 89 not a 89A radio.