Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Wed 20, 2019 8:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Halowat - All Wave 5 - Portland circa 1925
PostPosted: Mar Sun 23, 2014 2:27 am 

Got three interesting sets at the Antique Radio Charlotte conference this week. First off is a Halowat All Wave 5 made in Portland, OR.... Rare to be seen in the Carolinas...

The ARF thread here is old so will ask if anyone has located any information on this particular set. I'm curious to know about the four two position tap switches down on the chassis. Will be a week or so before I can shoot the underside. I see on Rm.org that one version has Hedgehog trannies... That would be neat.

Robert

Attachments:
sf-Halowat-guts-top-00.jpg
sf-Halowat-guts-top-00.jpg [ 120.82 KiB | Viewed 3805 times ]
sf-Halowat-frnt-00.jpg
sf-Halowat-frnt-00.jpg [ 111.83 KiB | Viewed 3805 times ]

Post subject: Re: Halowat - All Wave 5 - Portland circa 1925
PostPosted: Mar Sun 23, 2014 3:23 am 

Now that's a rare one for sure. I thought I had one of the very few Halowats to survive and yours is in great condition to boot. Come to Portland and you can make some big bucks with that set. They are highly sought after here. Does yours have the station card on the underside of the lid? If not, they are still available.
Ed

PostPosted: Mar Sun 23, 2014 4:10 am 

Hi Robert,
I also have a Hallowatt that I had just restored 5 months ago.It also has the Hegehog
audios that uncommonly tested good.The model I have is the TR-5 serial 468.Its the 3 dialer.Here are pic.s
mark

Attachments:
halowat 007.jpg
halowat 007.jpg [ 144.17 KiB | Viewed 3779 times ]
halowat 010.jpg
halowat 010.jpg [ 139.18 KiB | Viewed 3779 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Sun 23, 2014 5:01 pm 

Ed Jacobs wrote:
Now that's a rare one for sure. I thought I had one of the very few Halowats to survive and yours is in great condition to boot. Come to Portland and you can make some big bucks with that set. They are highly sought after here. Does yours have the station card on the underside of the lid? If not, they are still available.
Ed

Mark,
Beautiful set, thanks for posting.... Got pix of the bottom?

Ed.
No station card on my cabinet... No sign of tack holes in the lid or on either side of the back wall of the cabinet.

I had already loaded it on the lift to go to the attic but decided to pull it off long enough to try and photograph the underside.... I wanted to know what the four - two position tap switches seen on the top of the chassis panel were all about.... WOW! - I did not expect this.... Linkage underneath to switch positions... The only other BC set of this vintage I can think about to do this is the Grebe Synchrophase.

By splitting the band, the Synchrophase is a lot more selective on the high end of the standard BCB. Was Halowat doing the same? Who had the idea first?

I think I have a homebrew with Hedgehog audios... The ones in this set are beauties.

Now would REALLY like to see an article on this set... The Portland newspapers might have something on the company... Ever done a microfilm search? Ditto on any adverts or operating instructions...

The only other left coast battery sets in my collection I can think of are the Magnavox TRF-50, Kennedy (S.F.) 110/525, Gilfillan GN3 and my Quadraformer kit that I built into a glass case last year.... So the Halowat is going to be a keeper for me.

Robert

Attachments:
sf-Halowat-guts-btm-00.jpg
sf-Halowat-guts-btm-00.jpg [ 125.65 KiB | Viewed 3752 times ]
sf-Halowat-guts-btm-01.jpg
sf-Halowat-guts-btm-01.jpg [ 176.36 KiB | Viewed 3752 times ]
sf-Halowat-guts-top-01.jpg
sf-Halowat-guts-top-01.jpg [ 144.27 KiB | Viewed 3752 times ]
sf-Halowat-guts-top-02.jpg
sf-Halowat-guts-top-02.jpg [ 170.31 KiB | Viewed 3752 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Mon 24, 2014 2:39 am 

This is the the bottom view of the 3 dial Halowatt.My Hallowatt did not have a paper under the lid.
There were no marks or holes and I dont think there was one there.The switch is an ant inductance for the ant lenghth tuning.Here is a pic of the bottom of the 3 dialer.I like the condensor tunning with the string.I have some radios in my collection that are like that.I guess this was a way of updating the radio using older parts.I know there were a lot of companies that
used that method and I have seen ads selling just the pulley kits.
mark

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 56.16 KiB | Viewed 3704 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Mon 24, 2014 4:45 am 

I have some stuff on the set, so try this site while I see what else I have.

C:\Users\cajego\Desktop\PROJECTS\HALLOWAT\Antique Radio Classified--With The Collectors1.mht

PostPosted: Mar Mon 24, 2014 4:47 am 

Mark, how did you get your tuning capacitors so bright?
Ed

PostPosted: Mar Mon 24, 2014 5:21 am 

Hi Ed,
On most of my restorations I take them out and go to the sink in the kitchen and wash them.
with luke warm water and a plastic bristle brush. I use dish soap detergant.After I wash them
I take them out to the garage and blow them out with compressed air.I use Ice car polish on the
bakelite and if the nuts or srcews are rusted I take them out one at a time to the wire wheel ,which is extra fine.If they are corroded on the fins I scrape them with a razer blade before washing them.After cleaning them I put them back on the bench and align them and make sure that they are tight turning.Years ago I had one so bad that I dumped it in a
bucket of alunimum wheel brightener. It came out looking like new.
mark

PostPosted: Mar Mon 24, 2014 2:02 pm 

Ed,

Thanks very much for the tip to look at ARC - your link was not correct - the one below should work.

http://www.antiqueradio.com/Jun06_Redma ... atson.html

My version of the set does not quite match the descriptions given and just probably reflects that relatively small operations like this were constantantly revising their products even more so than the big makers.

The article says that the All Wave has direct wavelength readout on vernier dials.... Mine must be earlier because it has the Kurz-Kasch knobs like the TR-5 - It also does not apparently use a power tube - still having the Hedgehog trannies. BTW both trannies test good with an Ohmeter.

This set is going to be fun and easy to clean up for exhibition. (Most of my sets require heroic efforts to get accurately restored.)

I rarely power up sets anymore.... But since the band switching is so rare for an American broadcast receiver. I'll do this just to see how the wavelength switching works and try to measure selectivity and efficiency across its stated range of 185 to 570 meters.

Robert

PostPosted: Mar Mon 24, 2014 2:42 pm 

Location: Radio Heaven, North Carolina, near Charlotte, 28106-3015
Robert you need to post some pix of the British set I found for you
at the Charlotte show :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Knee-deep in the cosmic overwhelm, I’m stricken
by the ricochet wonder of it all: the plain

everythingness of everything, in cahoots
with the everythingness of everything else.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 24, 2014 2:57 pm 

Ron in Radio Heaven wrote:
Robert you need to post some pix of the British set I found for you
at the Charlotte show :P

One thing at a time.... Just posted some pix on the UK Vintage forum last night... Need to pull the chassis to get some meaningful views...

Robert

Knee-deep in the cosmic overwhelm, I’m stricken
by the ricochet wonder of it all: the plain

everythingness of everything, in cahoots
with the everythingness of everything else.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 27, 2014 11:49 pm 

Boy! did I almost screw up royally.

I just could not put the Halowat into the shop attic without at least a basic cleaning... But I found that the two big tuning knobs would not come off the shafts even though the the BIG 12-24 sets crews came out easily. I looked at the front panel and thought to myself that it was polished Bakelite and would not be damaged in the slightest if a little Liquid Wrench leaked out of the knob set screw holes. I was wrong! A swipe of a dribble on the panel showed a dull white streak. Oh you know what!

I got the knobs off and then noticed that the panel is really not black on the front surface.... It has a super dark burl walnut surface treatment. But is so dark that you really cannot easily see it in anything less than full daylight. Fortunately with some really careful buffing, the screw-up dissapeared. (FYI-Under the knobs the burl color is no more evident.)

Queries on the TCA Yahoo Groups Forum about the possibility of getting 5 local brand 01-A's returned that there were some local brands but they have turned into unobtanium in the past almost 90 years. So I have filled it with Cunninghams for the moment... I note that there is 135 Volt binding post so I presume that the SW-5 was supposed to have a UX-112-A or UX-171 "power tube" --- Sure hope a users manual shows up.

Robert

Attachments:
sf-top-w-tubes-00.jpg
sf-top-w-tubes-00.jpg [ 125.56 KiB | Viewed 3510 times ]
sf-Panel color.jpg
sf-Panel color.jpg [ 114.84 KiB | Viewed 3510 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Fri 28, 2014 2:38 pm 

Hi Robert.
The Hallowat that I have posted also has the wood grain front and chassis.I have seen
the model that you have.It was posted on ebay about a year ago.It was identical to yours
with the same knobs and interior but was not in good shape.I played mine and it was very
selective but it did not receive stations well on the top end.All in all it's a keeper!
Mark

PostPosted: Jun Wed 24, 2015 1:58 pm 

There was a completely different version of the Halowat All Wave-5 that just sold on eBay. This version has only three knobs on the front panel. The band switch knob is located on the first RF coil inside the radio instead of the front panel. At first I thought this must be an earlier version of the All Wave-5 because of the style of the RF coils but now think it must be a later version because of the 2nd and 3rd stage variable condensers are direct coupled instead of the belt and pulley system used on the other version. Has anyone ever seen this version of the All Wave-5? Thoughts on the differences?

I am resurrecting this earlier thread because of the excellent pictures of the other Halowat All Wave-5 that can be used to compare with this version.

Alan

eBay Halowat All Wave-5
Attachment:
USA_Hallock Watson Halowat All Wave 5-1 arf.jpg
USA_Hallock Watson Halowat All Wave 5-1 arf.jpg [ 71 KiB | Viewed 3102 times ]

Attachment:
USA_Hallock Watson Halowat All Wave 5-4arf.jpg
USA_Hallock Watson Halowat All Wave 5-4arf.jpg [ 140.94 KiB | Viewed 3102 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Wed 24, 2015 3:32 pm 

Dang! Now there is one more radio that I "need".

PostPosted: Jun Wed 24, 2015 6:42 pm 

Not to long ago the cards were still available and I will check but if they aren't I can scan mine.
Ed

PostPosted: Jun Thu 25, 2015 5:14 am 

They are still being made so give Mr. Clutter an email, he's pretty quick to respond. He has a new email address now, radiolaguy@outlook.com His website is below.

http://www.radiolaguy.com/