Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Thu 24, 2018 8:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Finished 1937 Zenith 7-S-232 Restoration
PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 1:44 am 

Thank you all for the comments. The customer can't wait to have the radio back in his possession.

Jon

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 2:45 am 

ketron281989 wrote:

Thank you. The finish is original and required no rejuvenation other than a layer of Johnsons paste wax I applied to the cabinet.

Thanks Jon. I have a similar set here in good shape overall except right along the top front curved surface at top. It's as is the glass part of the finish chipped or peeled off in places, the stain is still in the wood. Never seen anything like it, wondered if that one did the same. Glad to hear it did not.

Someday I'll get brave and tackle it. Seeing this one is certainly an inspiration to do it sooner instead of later. I do have new grill cloth waiting!

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 2:58 am 

phlogiston wrote:
Todd, KA1KAQ wrote:
Looks fantastic. Especially the bezel - you resisted the urge to pimp it up by over-polishing it. Thank you!! :D

Is the finish all original or did it require any rejuvenation?

It is "over polished". The inner lip should be a flat grey/black. The outer lip should show brass only on the high spots and then is should not be polished.

Actually there is a rather simple process for repainting these. There is also a durable metal-paint in a rattle can that is very close to the right shade and gloss (flat). But if it isn't broken why bother - - right?

Customer did not want me to touch the bezel. I don't see what's wrong with it? I never polished the bezel, it has a perfect aged patina and matches the rest of the set. Were all tear drop bezels done that way? Find it hard to believe since none of us bought one brand new in 1937/1938. No signs what so ever that the bezel has ever been tampered with.

Jon

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 3:17 am 

Beautiful!

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 3:21 am 

Thanks Ed.

Jon

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 3:22 am 

Todd, KA1KAQ wrote:
ketron281989 wrote:

Thank you. The finish is original and required no rejuvenation other than a layer of Johnsons paste wax I applied to the cabinet.

Thanks Jon. I have a similar set here in good shape overall except right along the top front curved surface at top. It's as is the glass part of the finish chipped or peeled off in places, the stain is still in the wood. Never seen anything like it, wondered if that one did the same. Glad to hear it did not.

Someday I'll get brave and tackle it. Seeing this one is certainly an inspiration to do it sooner instead of later. I do have new grill cloth waiting!

Good luck with your restoration Todd. Do you have the 12 tube version?

Jon

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 3:41 pm 

I do. Has the 12-S-232 stamp on the top rear of the cabinet and correct speaker (with a small repair to the cone by a previous owner). It also has a 1/4" jack added to the back apron for a phono input, so it will never be a trophy winner. Which is fine by me - I prefer to preserve, use & enjoy. Could care less about impressing anyone.

As to the bezel/escutcheon issue, I like the approach you took. It looks its age - used but not abused, not like it just left the assembly line and not like it was featured in an episode of Pimp My Radio. It's not up to me to decide how anyone else prefers their radio to look, I just know what looks good to my eye. Paint it green it that's what makes you happy. It's your radio.

They have a saying in the old car hobby about presentable, original paint jobs vs. a new or better-than-new repaint: it's only original once. I tend to lean this way unless there is real damage that threatens the future condition. Like rust, for example. This is why I want to find a way to repair the finish on my set rather than strip and re-do.

Photo attached, you can see the small flecks along the crown of the cabinet above the speaker, Jon. A few dull spots here and there, too. Nothing serious enough to warrant stripping. The paint on the speaker cloth is the worst part, but I already have a replacement piece.

Attachments:
Zeniths_01.JPG
Zeniths_01.JPG [ 192.53 KiB | Viewed 1587 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 5:07 pm 

Hmm, I'm not sure where the writer of the eye tube article got the idea that Raytheon made 6T5 tubes. The type was registered by Sylvania, and the only other maker than Sylvania I know of was KenRad. I've owned examples branded Zenith (made by Sylvania), Sylvania, and "Crosley made by KenRad".

That said... This is an outstanding example of that radio

Jim Cross

PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 2:30 am 

That's nice Todd that you have the 12 tube version, even more collectable and desirable! Yours looks to be in excellent original condition. I am curious to what your bezel looks like up close if you don't mind?

Thanks,

Jon

PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 12:27 am 

Hi Jim,

I happen to have a Raytheon 6T5 tube that was found in a old 12 Tube chassis that I picked up for parts for $25. It's rather dim and not usable, but lights up enough to give you the idea of what it looked like in the day. The number was worn off, but from the end view it's clear that it's a 6T5. Here are the Pics.

Attachments:
6T5A.jpg
6T5A.jpg [ 197.82 KiB | Viewed 1547 times ]
6T5B.jpg
6T5B.jpg [ 151.46 KiB | Viewed 1547 times ]

People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 2:12 am 

I have an original bezel from a radio that had a bad cabinet from water damage a couple feet up. I can't see any paint on the inner part. It's very dark just like the back side that has never been touched. I think the inner side is dark since it didn't get the attention to cleaning that the outside did.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 3:11 am 

Lou deGonzague wrote:
I have an original bezel from a radio that had a bad cabinet from water damage a couple feet up. I can't see any paint on the inner part. It's very dark just like the back side that has never been touched. I think the inner side is dark since it didn't get the attention to cleaning that the outside did.

Thank you Lou. I am a strong believer that this bezel was never touched or polished. Even aged patina on all sides of the bezel. Thank you for comparing.

Jon

PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 4:47 pm 

OK, maybe the idea of "polished" is the problem here.

If you compare the OP bezel with the one a few posts up, you will notice that the most significant difference is in the inner lip around the glass. The one above is, very dark. This is a finish (if not "paint") that was probably rubbed off in many years of cleaning, possibly with a strong cleaner such as Windex.

This is not unusual. I had thought that the radio preserved with the original finish might look better with a bezel with the original - what ever you chose to call it. The patina/oxidation/dirt will show on the areas that are raised.

As I mentioned, this can be fixed.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 5:09 pm 

Here is the bezel off my 7A28A and I'm sure it is as original as they come. Believe it never to have been touched other than dusted, I like the patina where peoples hands rubbed some of the finish away.

Is there any point in matt or satin lacquering after a wash and brush up?

Attachment:
Zen bezel.jpg
Zen bezel.jpg [ 203.74 KiB | Viewed 1490 times ]

Gary

PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 5:33 pm 

Radio Fixer wrote:
Here is the bezel off my 7A28A and I'm sure it is as original as they come. Believe it never to have been touched other than dusted, I like the patina where peoples hands rubbed some of the finish away.

Is there any point in matt or satin lacquering after a wash and brush up?

Attachment:
Zen bezel.jpg

Gary

No, no. That one is fine. Don't do anything to it.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 5:46 pm 

So pleased to get a radio with such an original one and cabinet, even if the chassis was real rough. A rust bucket but all there and almost untouched. Not ever going to find better here, how many can there be of this export set?

Gary

PostPosted: Jan Mon 16, 2017 5:41 pm 

Jon, I've been in the room this morning shifting things around. The Zenith is safely stashed in the corner on the carpeted floor currently. I moved it around but there's not yet enough room to get it out safely. Once I do, I'll snap a shot or two and post. We had company last night for dinner so that kept me busy along with catching up on all the honey-do items over the weekend prior. At least it provided the opportunity to get things rolling in there.

While 'painted' might not be entirely accurate, there does appear to be some kind of applied finish, like an 'antiqued' wash done to the recessed areas when new. Helps add depth and highlight the detail. Pretty sure we discussed this in a thread in early 2016. I had asked about the Grebe MU-1 of which some actually had a light gold plating or such done early on. This is another set that you often see over-polished (in my opinion).

PostPosted: Jan Tue 17, 2017 2:39 am 

Todd, KA1KAQ wrote:
Jon, I've been in the room this morning shifting things around. The Zenith is safely stashed in the corner on the carpeted floor currently. I moved it around but there's not yet enough room to get it out safely. Once I do, I'll snap a shot or two and post. We had company last night for dinner so that kept me busy along with catching up on all the honey-do items over the weekend prior. At least it provided the opportunity to get things rolling in there.

While 'painted' might not be entirely accurate, there does appear to be some kind of applied finish, like an 'antiqued' wash done to the recessed areas when new. Helps add depth and highlight the detail. Pretty sure we discussed this in a thread in early 2016. I had asked about the Grebe MU-1 of which some actually had a light gold plating or such done early on. This is another set that you often see over-polished (in my opinion).

Thank you Todd. Thank you for taking the time to document a few more pictures when able. Perhaps someone did polish this bezel in the past. I wonder though, if Zenith really did this to all their bezels for the 1937/1938 lineup. Something I will look out for if I ever get the chance to acquire a shutter dial set down the road.

Jon

PostPosted: Jan Fri 20, 2017 3:08 am 

Sorry it's taken so long, Jon. Things got busy again but not before I at least got a bit of work done in that room.

Will still be a while before I get the Zenith back out from where I moved it to recently, so I tried to take a few shots within the limited space in front of it. Also got a shot of it nestled in the corner, you can see more of where the finish (but not the stain) has flaked off the top area. No worries about the blanketed object laying across it - it's an old AK board, well wrapped and not too heavy. It will get moved well before the Zenith does.

Hopefully these shots show enough of the bezel to give a good idea. As I said, while I doubt it's paint per say, it does appear to be some kind of wash meant to give the bezel an aged or antiqued look.

Attachments:
Zenith.JPG
Zenith.JPG [ 207.06 KiB | Viewed 1413 times ]
ZenithBezel_1.JPG
ZenithBezel_1.JPG [ 179.47 KiB | Viewed 1413 times ]
ZenithBezel2.JPG
ZenithBezel2.JPG [ 193.96 KiB | Viewed 1413 times ]
ZenithBezel3.JPG
ZenithBezel3.JPG [ 164.99 KiB | Viewed 1413 times ]
ZenithBezel4.JPG
ZenithBezel4.JPG [ 154.28 KiB | Viewed 1413 times ]
ZenithBezel5.JPG
ZenithBezel5.JPG [ 168.3 KiB | Viewed 1413 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Fri 20, 2017 6:09 am 

It's rather foolish to think one shade or another is "proper". The "patina bandwagon" perpetrated here and all over radio world doesn't hold water. If you don't think there's profound differences in wood and metal surfaces that lived their lives in oil, wood, gas, and electric heated homes, think again ! As a woodworker, allow me once again to use the word "profound". Oh, and let's not forget a once prominent refrain, "have a smoke?". Time to end the generalities guys, people may start to believe.

ketron281989 wrote:
phlogiston wrote:
Todd, KA1KAQ wrote:
Looks fantastic. Especially the bezel - you resisted the urge to pimp it up by over-polishing it. Thank you!! :D

Is the finish all original or did it require any rejuvenation?

It is "over polished". The inner lip should be a flat grey/black. The outer lip should show brass only on the high spots and then is should not be polished.

Actually there is a rather simple process for repainting these. There is also a durable metal-paint in a rattle can that is very close to the right shade and gloss (flat). But if it isn't broken why bother - - right?

Customer did not want me to touch the bezel. I don't see what's wrong with it? I never polished the bezel, it has a perfect aged patina and matches the rest of the set. Were all tear drop bezels done that way? Find it hard to believe since none of us bought one brand new in 1937/1938. No signs what so ever that the bezel has ever been tampered with.

Jon

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 48 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next