Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 24, 2017 3:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith Twin Seven Appraisal
PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 11:58 pm 

Hello, new here to the forum. I recently picked up a Zenith Twin Seven at an estate auction. It is in fantastic condition without any cracks or damage to the Bakelaite. The radio powers on and works perfectly, I did not attempt to try the Phono as I am not sure how to work it or if it even works. The arm and needle all look undamaged, and and I'll let the new owner figure out how it works. From my research, I gather that it is rare and collectable, and not many come up for sale. I will be looking to find this a new home for it and am asking for an honest appraisal given my brief description and my photos (currently trying to attach). Thanks in advance!

For some reason it won't allow me to insert a link to my Photobucket images. Perhaps because I am a new user? If anyone would be willing to post my two photos of this unit for me, please send me a PM and I will provide photos. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Zenith Twin Seven Appraisal
PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 12:50 am 

Resize your photos to less than 800 pixels per side and less than 256 KB and you can upload them, there is no limit for new users.

Regardless of the external condition of the set, Most would advise against using it because the capacitors used in the set have a high failure rate since the construction of the set. Prolonged use without proper restoration could result in damage to the set.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 1:12 am 

Apparently I can't figure out how to post the photos. Can I email them to anyone to post for me?

Thanks

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 1:16 am 

Sure Email Me at hc****@yahoo.com

Last edited by Hcompton79 on Jan Thu 12, 2017 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 1:21 am 

You can post photos as attachments straight out of the chute. No need to wait 24Hrs.
Image file restrictions here are width-800px by height-800px and file size-256Kb max

After 24Hrs you can link to a photo or embed it (to appear in-line) in the forum by pasting the image URL (usually ending in .jpg or .png) from wherever you have the image hosted on the web.

Paste it between the two Img tags generated by clicking Img at the top of the message editor.
As an embedded image (from the web) 800px max width.
For this method the file size limit is not an issue.

Greg.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 2:17 am 

I resized and rotated his photos.

Attachment:
0111171439 (640x634).jpg
0111171439 (640x634).jpg [ 212.74 KiB | Viewed 1148 times ]

Attachment:
0111171441 (384x640).jpg
0111171441 (384x640).jpg [ 154.82 KiB | Viewed 1148 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 4:01 am 

The OP wanted a price estimate so I will do my best to provide one.

The Zenith Twin Seven was a design worked up in the late forties to combine the two competing LP formats. Columbia had the 33 1/3 and RCA had the 45. While it appeared to be a good player, it did not sell well possibly due to the fact that it only could play 7" 33s or that it could not play both formats simultaneously. The pickup is not a normal cartridge, it modulates a signal which is picked up by a preamp and demodulated like a radio signal. As said they are seldom encountered today, A few years ago they were bringing $4-500 in mint condition.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 4:28 am 

Is this the same model as the Zenith G660?
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/zenith_g660_ch6g01.html

One sold at auction on eBay just before Christmas for $102.50. It was missing a couple knobs, looked like the tonearm was broken and repaired, and had a big crack in the bottom. It's also possible that December 22nd is not the best time to end an auction.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... Complete=1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Antique ... 1886227670

But it's a recent price, a national audience, and a no-reserve auction. So it's not a bad indicator of current value. There were 5 bidders in the fray. Second highest bidder dropped out at $100, and third highest dropped out at $75. How much more would a pristine one be worth? Double?

Last edited by palegreenthumb on Jan Thu 12, 2017 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 4:31 am 

Yes, that appears to be the same model. I based my estimate on what I saw discussed here a few years back, if the market has dropped it may well be worth more around $100-125.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 5:15 am 

Thanks for the input guys! Looking at that most recent Ebay auction, I bet if it would have had that missing knob it would fetch more. Afterall, where are you going to find a replacement? Also, did it appear the record player arm had a crack or may have been broken at one point and glued? I don't know. I do know that this piece appears in better shape. I would say excellent plus for its age and considering there are no missing pieces or damage. I may try my luck at the auction site...

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 12:40 am 

Update. Just listed on the online auction site this afternoon and it sold within 20 minutes for quite a bit more than the quoted $100-$125. It is nice to know the market has not dropped off compared to a few years ago. Thanks again for the info and happy collecting!

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 12:58 am 

$550? Not too bad.

Not my flavor, but like he said, it's nice to know somebody valued it that highly.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 1:02 am 

I hope that it's packed meticulously. :shock:

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 1:20 am 

Ah Yes, it will be packed like I was shipping off my first born :lol:

I'm just happy it is going to someone who appreciates its beauty and American craftsmanship.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 1:39 am 

If it sold for $550 in 20 minutes you didn't ask enough for it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zenith-Model-G6 ... 7675.l2557

Dave

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 2:58 am 

I guess that goes a long way to answering the question, "How much more would a pristine one be worth?" Certainly more than double. More like quintuple.

easyrider8 wrote:
If it sold for $550 in 20 minutes you didn't ask enough for it.

I completely disagree. Let's say there's one guy out there willing to pay $600 for one, and the second most-interested party will only pay $400. Put that radio up for auction, and the auction will close at $405.

It's certainly possible that $550 was the perfect number to attract that one buyer.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 17, 2017 7:41 am 

I own two...a mint one and the $100 one that just sold on eBay.

Value...$750-$1000 for top quality. On ebay probably just over a grand for a mint one similar to yours. The reason your player sold so quick is because.....well it was worth about double what you were asking! Someone got a steal. Word of advice NEVER EVER EVER do a Buy it now on something you have no idea of it's value. You ask on here for a value but these are the guys that want to BUY it! Do you think they are going to tell you it was worth $1000?

As for the one I won recently on eBay for $100, the reason why it went cheap was hardly anyone saw it. It was listed as a RADIO and in the radio section. There was not one word about it being a Twin Seven or a record player. It did NOT come up any logical record player type search. The seller screwed up. I only found it by accident looking for Zenith Radios and stumbled across it by mistake.

You made a good profit but could have made double that if you had let it ride at full auction. Next time don't do a buy it now...put it up and let it ride and tell EVERYONE about it. :wink:

PostPosted: Jan Tue 17, 2017 8:12 am 

^ Now you're really making the guy feel bad, lol!

Let's just call it a learning experience for him. :wink:

PostPosted: Jan Tue 17, 2017 8:23 am 

Honestly...for how rare and in demand that unit is and compared to similarly rare 45 type players that have sold recently it may have went for even more if it got into a bidding war. $1500-$1800 ??? I know if I had seen this post a week ago I would have PMed and offered him $1000 shipped for it.

Yes I have two others but stuff like this is INCREDIBLE trading material. If someone else has a rare piece I want cash usually does not break it loose but a similarly RARE item like this and in this condition is worth far more in trade then just the monetary value. I would have loved to grab it!

PostPosted: Jan Tue 17, 2017 6:02 pm 

bastardbus wrote:
You ask on here for a value but these are the guys that want to BUY it! Do you think they are going to tell you it was worth $1000?

You say that, but, frankly, this is a radio discussion forum. You ask me the value of a radio, I have some experience. You ask me the value of a dishwasher, I have the same mechanisms of discovery available as everyone else... The web, and Google.

I don't have much interest in dishwashers or 45 players, but I can search the web. If I steered anyone wrong, sorry. If I walked past that unit at a swap meet and it was marked $20, I wouldn't give it a second glance. If someone nudged my shoulder and whispered, "That thing's worth $1000," my reply would be, "Then you should buy it."

So please don't accuse me of being the guy floating lowball prices because I want to buy it. I searched the web, I found a comp, took me about 30 seconds. My search term on eBay was Zenith G660 and it came right up. That's more evidence than you've provided for your assertion that it's worth $1000, $1500, or $1800.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 27 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2  Next