Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Thu 17, 2017 12:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Crosley 626 cabinet, 656 chassis, from factory?
PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 1:19 am 

I inherited a vintage Crosley console radio that had been in storage for many years. It's not in bad shape, definitely restorable. Reading the info on back of the chassis indicated that it was a Crosley 656. A google search took me to another site, which showed a tabletop model. I looked to see if there was a console 656, but there was none.

A few days later, under better lighting, I noticed, in small numbers, was a "626" under the 656 on the model space. The 656 was stamped over the 626. The dial, and I'm assuming, the electrical bits are from a 656, while the cabinet is from a 626, which I verified on another site.

Was it common for radio manufacturers to "mix and match" chassis and cabinets like this?

Post subject: Re: Crosley 626 cabinet, 656 chassis, from factory?
PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 4:19 am 

Hi YLR and welcome to the forum!

Yep quite often manufacturers would use up surplus parts by fitting them into available cabinets.

There are quite a few instances of zenith and other major manufacturers doing the exact same.

Enjoy

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 4:43 am 

If you look on RadioMuseum.org, there is a console model Crosley 626 with chassis photos. That's your cabinet, right?
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/crosley_626.html

There is also a table model Crosley 634, that uses chassis 656, also with chassis photos.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/crosley_656.html

If you look only at the chassis in those two entries, which chassis do you have?

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 6:52 am 

All factory sets could come in any cabinet. Would depend on customer space and preference. 1968 CTC 38 color TV is a good example. Could be TV & Am/FM phonograph in many different styles. Or just a spindle leg TV set.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 12:49 pm 

Welcome to the Antique Radio Forums!
It appears Crosley did some mixing and matching of radios and cabinets.

I have a Crosley that has a 1055 chassis in what appears to be an 865P cabinet. It seems factory, but I can't be 100% positive.
Finding others like yours gives credibility that it indeed was a factory swap.

Zenith was also known for mixing and matching radio chassis and cabinets. The two companies did share ideas and concepts.

-Steve

Attachments:
crosley1a.jpg
crosley1a.jpg [ 86.82 KiB | Viewed 846 times ]

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 1:32 am 

palegreenthumb wrote:
If you look on RadioMuseum.org, there is a console model Crosley 626 with chassis photos. That's your cabinet, right?
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/crosley_626.html

There is also a table model Crosley 634, that uses chassis 656, also with chassis photos.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/crosley_656.html

If you look only at the chassis in those two entries, which chassis do you have?

That's pretty much it. It's a 626 cabinet with a 656 chassis.

First order of business is to learn in detail how these things tick, and see what resources are available to restore the exterior. Overall, it's in pretty good shape despite the fact it has been stored for almost 30 years. I have learned from my limited studying online so far not to plug it in! :wink:

I understand this will be a process that will take many months, even more than a year. I am in no hurry to have a working radio, just want to learn a new discipline or two, and having something that looks decent and works reasonably well in the end.

At some point, I'll post pics. Can you upload them here, or use an outside site like photobucket?

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 1:40 am 

Either or.

To upload them directly to a comment, you need to crop and/or size the image to within 800 X 800 pixels and 256 Kb or less in file size.
That can often be done in MS Paint.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 2:22 am 

It could be they just switched chassis mid-production.

They are quite similar, maybe they decided they could use one chassis for both radios.

Maybe one turned out to have better performance. Or the tube set cost less.

Are the knobs positioned like the 626 model, or like the 634 model?

PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 12:32 am 

palegreenthumb wrote:
It could be they just switched chassis mid-production.

Are the knobs positioned like the 626 model, or like the 634 model?

Knobs are positioned like the 634. Now that I got a closer look, my radio is not a 626 cabinet(leave it to my bad memory :lol: )

I did take a couple of pics(hope I'm doing this right)

Attachments:
crosley 626 front.jpg
crosley 626 front.jpg [ 126.22 KiB | Viewed 725 times ]
634 chassis.jpg
634 chassis.jpg [ 183.61 KiB | Viewed 725 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Wed 18, 2017 2:09 am 

The dark plain grill cloth would be alright if it wasn't so blotchy, like somebody shot it with spray paint, maybe.
Anyway, that radio has class.

Are the pin-up girls decals that were put on later?

So would it be indecent to strip that radio? :lol:

PostPosted: Jan Wed 18, 2017 2:24 am 

Ba-dum-Tssss :lol:

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Jan Wed 18, 2017 6:02 am 

Grill cloth is just old; The photo quality isn't great, but the grill cloth will have to be replaced, as it's frayed at the bottom.

Pin-up girls won't make the cut, as they are in pretty bad shape. Who knows how long they were on there, but they look like from late 30's-WW2 era, IMO.

Best as I can tell, at least from the radiomuseum.org site, there's no Crosley match for the cabinet, so I've been looking at other brands, but no luck so far. However, it doesn't look like the cabinet has been altered to accept the 634 chassis, so I'm at a loss.

It'll be a couple of months before I can start messing with it, so I'm trying to read up on how to properly restore it. Cleaning up the cabinet and replacing the mesh doesn't look extremely difficult, though I don't know what the effect of 70 year old stickers will have on the finish. Veneer appears in pretty good shape overall, though there a few small nicks in it.

Restoring the chassis will take the most time to learn how to do properly. I have worked on and built home PCs, but this requires a different skillset. For one, I'll have to improve on my soldering skills, as well as learning how to read schematics and figuring out how to test parts.

In the meantime, I be reading a lot and watching how-to videos.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 18, 2017 12:03 pm 

Not every cabinet style is known yet; there are definitely still unseen ones out there. Almost weekly I find myself writing to a seller, asking permission to upload their pictures to RadioMuseum for an unrepresented model. I uploaded pictures of an Airline 62-1100 yesterday. Yours very well could be a Crosley cabinet that simply hasn't shown up online yet. That said, someone could also join the thread tomorrow, or 4 years from now, who identifies the cabinet as coming from another maker. Without a firm model #, it's hard to say.

I'm curious to know the shape of the cabinet from the side/top. Can you post something of a high-angle 3/4 view that shows the cabinet kind of in profile, and the contouring of the top? Do the sides curve back to the wall?

Also, if the grill cloth is not picked and it has no holes in it, it might be it was just pushed in and came loose at the bottom. There's a chance it could be stretched back down and reattached at the bottom, and it would look a lot better. Not saying for sure, just possible. It's your call, but I personally find the original cloths more attractive if they can be salvaged. There are so few patterns being reproduced, it's usually hard to find a replacement that looks close. Everyone in the know looks at a replacement and says, "that's whiskey rayon" or "that's 1938 Zenith block." If you can keep what you have it might be a good choice, even if a bit dirty or thin.

It's a shame about the decals, but I do agree the cabinet looks like it's ready for a refinish. To me, the decals are an intriguing part of the history of the set. "Early man cave." :)

PostPosted: Jan Wed 18, 2017 1:49 pm 

I'll give the grill cloth a second look; it is dirty, from the many years of storage, and I may be able to remove it, clean it, then trim the frayed part and stretch it back in place. No guarantees, though.

I'll try to post more pics in the upcoming days; is there a general ID location for the cabinet? I haven't been able to find one yet.

Another discovery is the signature of my great uncle on the back of the chassis, on the right. Unfortunately, the reason why it's there has been lost, as he's been gone for almost 25 years.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 20, 2017 12:19 am 

More pics....

Attachments:
File comment: Closeup of the top right part; this is the roughest part of the cabinet....
topright.jpg
topright.jpg [ 151.2 KiB | Viewed 598 times ]
File comment: Here's a detail of the grill area. I do apologize for the lack of detail, but I'm using a 2 MP phone camera. You can see the fraying at the bottom, I hope.
grill.jpg
grill.jpg [ 135.63 KiB | Viewed 598 times ]
File comment: Detail on speaker; the chassis had an ancient wire attached to it. You can see it on the chassis pic above. Was it an antenna wire?
speaker.jpg
speaker.jpg [ 134.83 KiB | Viewed 598 times ]
File comment: Detail on the top left portion.
topleft.jpg
topleft.jpg [ 128.52 KiB | Viewed 598 times ]
File comment: Here's the 3/4ths view.....
threefourths.jpg
threefourths.jpg [ 119.78 KiB | Viewed 598 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Fri 20, 2017 1:23 am 

"the chassis had an ancient wire attached to it. You can see it on the chassis pic above. Was it an antenna wire?"

Yes, the old wire is (or was?) attached to the antenna terminal, which is right next to the ground ("G") terminal. Looks like the wire could be good enough to reuse after the restoration.