Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: EH Scott Imperial High Fidelity Receiver (new acquisitio
PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 11:45 pm 

Original schematics for the early version of the AW-23 are rare. I am fortunate to have a copy annotated to show the alternative phonograph hookup (original phono input also shown) although it does not show the 400k resistor. Yes, the phono input attaches to one end of the volume control.

Attachment:
AW-23 schematic_20171121.jpg
AW-23 schematic_20171121.jpg [ 126.22 KiB | Viewed 414 times ]

Norman

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 2:43 am 

Thanks Norman. So some of the early AW 23 sets did have a pre-volume control phono input. That will be a nice feature.

I wonder why the 400K resistor, maybe to protect whatever was attached to the phono?

The bad news is that whoever worked on this before has this attached to the ground terminal and nothing is attached to the phono terminal. This makes me mighty suspicious and now will need to verify every connection. Not that big of a deal as I was going to be verifying all of it anyway.

There are two 600 Ohm resistors that are variable.

One is attached to the tuning meter and the other is attached to the noise suppressor circuit. Are these variable so they can be adjusted to allow the appropriate amount of deflection in the tuning indicator and the appropriate suppression level?

Here is a photo of the variable 600W resistor.
Attachment:
variable resistor.jpg
variable resistor.jpg [ 99.23 KiB | Viewed 396 times ]

I have measured almost all of the coils and one of the two beat oscillator coils might be open. I am reading something right around 8 ohms on one set of contacts but unable to get a reading on the third contact with either of the other two on the coil form.

Does anyone know what wire gauge was used for the beat oscillator coil?

Cheers

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 3:33 am 

The 400k resistor prevents the magnetic cartridge from loading down the signal from the detector when listening to the radio. The 600 ohm resistor for the noise suppressor is adjusted to 9-volts as part of the IF alignment procedure. The other 600 ohm resistor is adjusted for best eye tube performance.

Norman

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 3:53 pm 

So that appears to be part of the phono input, but there is no resistor in that circuit. In the early AW23, it connects directly into a 6C6 grid, in the 7-knob set that came later, Scott added a radio/phono switch and the input is passed through a 0.15 mfd cap. I'm not sure what the resistor is doing, but it certainly appears to be original. I'd carefully identify the two connections and see where they are on the schematic. It might become clearer then.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 4:04 pm 

No resistor would be required if the phonograph were equipped with a crystal cartridge.

Norman

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 4:20 pm 

kent3256 wrote:
So that appears to be part of the phono input, but there is no resistor in that circuit. In the early AW23, it connects directly into a 6C6 grid, in the 7-knob set that came later, Scott added a radio/phono switch and the input is passed through a 0.15 mfd cap. I'm not sure what the resistor is doing, but it certainly appears to be original. I'd carefully identify the two connections and see where they are on the schematic. It might become clearer then.

Hi Kent. Well that is sort of the quandary here. Here are the connections:

One end of the 400K resistor is connected to the GROUND terminal of the phono input terminal set. The other end of the resistor is attached to low loss rubber wire like everything that is used through the RF / IF grid and plate sections. The other end of the wire is just hanging out and not attached to anything currently. It looks like the other end of the wire was at one time attached to the volume pot. The PHONO terminal of the phono input terminal set has nothing attached to it at all (there is a witness mark where something was attached at one point).

Norman - thank you for all of the clarifications you have been providing. I am taking stock of exactly which capacitor sleeves I have and will post on this in the next day or so. The holes through the chassis are 1/2 inch. Also it looks a lot like the schematic snippet you provided showing the alternate phono connection point is what was originally going on here.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 4:53 pm 

Which of the phonograph binding posts measures 0 ohms to the chassis, the one marked "Phono" or the one marked "GND"?
If the wire is reconnected to the volume control, the set will work as intended if the "Phono" post is connected directly to the chassis and the "GND" post is insulated from the chassis.

Norman

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 5:31 pm 

Braithwaite wrote:
Which of the phonograph binding posts measures 0 ohms to the chassis, the one marked "Phono" or the one marked "GND"?
If the wire is reconnected to the volume control, the set will work as intended if the "Phono" post is connected directly to the chassis and the "GND" post is insulated from the chassis.

Norman

The binding post marked "GND" measures 0 ohms to chassis. This is where the resistor is hooked up currently.

The other binding post (phono but not marked) measure no connection to chassis as there is nothing connected to it.

My theory is that this resistor was removed from the phono post at some point in the past.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 5:43 pm 

I agree with your theory wholeheartedly!

Norman

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 2:05 am 

Hi All,

Have been busy working on the survey and BOM for this receiver.

So all of the coils metered out just fine. I was originally worried about the beat oscillator coil.
From the beat oscillator switch to the plate of the 76 measures 8.3 ohm.
From the coil side of the 25 mmfd capacitor to ground through the coil measures 143 ohm.

The big ceramic voltage divider measures 4.4k / 400 ohm / 4.4k so that is great news.

The bad news is that almost every other dog bone type resistor in the receiver has nearly doubled in value. All of them are well out of tolerance. Anyone have a theory on why all of these would be so far out of whack?

I have taken a bit of time to work on molding resistors and can now present molded resistor attempt #3 (it is the middle in this photo).
Attachment:
MR try 3.jpg
MR try 3.jpg [ 80.83 KiB | Viewed 249 times ]

Attempt #1 was the continental that is in the power supply (going to re-do that one also). Attempt #2 is in the upper left of this photo but the scale wasn't quite right. Attempt #3 is on scale and has a 2 watt replacement in a dog bone 1/4 watt form.

the paper wax capacitors in this set are all going to be either re-stuffed or re-created. Lou was kind enough to send me a bunch of potter capacitors from another AW23 and Norman has offered to send along some more once I know what I need. At this point I am experimenting with using paper fireworks tubes to re-create the potter caps. I will post more on this as I find out how it is going. The potter caps are a serious PIA to re-stuff and my results have been mixed. I think these capacitors were originally potted in natural beeswax so have some inbound. Will post photos once I get some form of outcome.

EDIT: oh forgot to mention. There are 5 domino type capacitors in this receiver that are 5000 pF values. These make me really suspicious. That is a huge value for a true mica cap. I am probably going to have to go all "Radio Fixer" on at least one of them. Gary has some pretty good examples of what is inside these large pF value caps back a few pages in this thread. Anyhow there are 2 Sangamos and 3 Cornell Dubliners.

Cheers

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 10:24 am 

The resistors are looking very good. Tough having to do a lot for the rest of the chassis. What you need is a multiple mould: would that be very hard to make? Say 3 or 4 at a time?

Maybe the carbon granules settle out? But some would come nearer the correct value if you put power in them I think. Just for interest you could try that: just a potential divider across a supply and measure the volts as it heats up. But to leave them? Maybe for non-critical position you could? See if the volts are close enough after power up and change them then if not.

The cap could still be mica at 5000pF but you have to suspect it? Is it the right value and does it have any leakage. Those EMI (RCA) ones are 2300pF and if you look back have about 10 pieces of mica and corresponding number of plates. All mainly used to decouple heaters but these radios, the best from EMI, went up to about 60mHz to receive TV sound.

But slow steady progress and I hope you are enjoying doing it. The end result will be worth it, something to be proud of.

Gary

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 7:00 pm 

Hi Gary,

I originally did make a multiple location mold. The material i am using sets in 3-5 minutes and cures really hard in 1 hour. I pull 1 from the mold after 2 minutes and a second after 5 minutes. Really isn't a problem and I have already molded the bulk of what will be needed. Right now I am in process of testing the paint. It is really really thick stuff and am going to thin it out a bit to see if I can get a more even and uniform coat.

The large mica caps are measuring 10% - 15% high with a digital capacitance meter. Sometimes high measurements are leakage with this type of meter.
The progress is slow but really fun to learn some new skills. Have been also molding capacitors with some success.

Cheers

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 9:03 am 

BOM Incoming
Attachment:
BOM incoming.jpg
BOM incoming.jpg [ 125.85 KiB | Viewed 152 times ]

Cheers

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 9:45 am 

Impressive piece of work! You really have got into the spirit of this. Going to look great.

Gary

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 5:22 pm 

Thanks Gary.

Ridiculous amount of work to figure out. This radio is special enough to deserve it. Should look cool when done. A little bit more than half of the caps are re-stuffed potters and the others are replicas.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 10, 2017 3:16 am 

Wow, great job. Nice to see those old caps find a new home.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 196 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10