Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 23, 2018 3:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco 48-1276
PostPosted: Mar Fri 30, 2018 6:11 pm 

Picked this Philco console up in Oakland, CA last weekend. I wasn't actively seeking one, but it showed up on Craigslist and I hadn't been on a road trip in awhile, either, so.......

I'll post some pics as soon as I figure out the hosting situation with the Photobucket snafu. Basically the cabinet is in good shape, although the top is worse for wear: drink rings, a few chunks of missing veneer, and a cigarette burn that looks like they lit a fresh one and then walked away. It's all part of the patina, I guess.

The M-4 changer is missing as well, which I'm not too sad about. It was 78 only. It seriously looks like they used a cutting torch on the back of the changer support bracket to remove it. There's about an 8" section missing. I'll try to patch in a new piece. I don't think it will be visible when the replacement changer, an M-20, is installed.

Everything else appears to be there: the special Allen wrench for setting the station programs, all the knobs, tubes, antennas, etc. Not looking forward to the re-cap process. There's a gob of them in there!

A couple quick questions regarding the pilot lamps: It looks like there's 3 on each side of the dial. There's one that illuminates the record changer when the door is opened. There's a mercury switch on the side that controls the lamp. The socket is just hanging there, tho, and I'm not sure where it's supposed to fasten. There's is also a lamp that the schematic lists as a bull's eye lamp. I found it. It's plugged in at the bottom front of the cabinet a couple inches to the left of center. There is a small hole drilled in the center of the cabinet, but it's not directly inline with the bulb. There is no jewel in this hole, either. Was there one? Does the bull's eye illuminate with whatever light makes the 90 degree turn? Seems weird, but maybe that's how it was done.

Probably more questions later. It's gonna be awhile before I decide to remove the chassis. Look forward to hearing it play, tho. Push-Pull 6L6's should be awesome!

Thanks for any info!

Pics:

Attachments:
Philco1.jpg
Philco1.jpg [ 235.82 KiB | Viewed 227 times ]
Philco2.jpg
Philco2.jpg [ 111.06 KiB | Viewed 227 times ]
Philco3.jpg
Philco3.jpg [ 231.35 KiB | Viewed 227 times ]

Post subject: Re: Philco 48-1276
PostPosted: Mar Sat 31, 2018 4:25 pm 

23 pages of info:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymode ... 013619.pdf

There is a HiFi switch that is used to control the tweeter and scratch eliminator circuits. That is going to be a fun project. Thankfully most of the tubes are probably still OK, as long as they are still there. People tend to pull 6L6 tubes to sell separately. :x

Looks like 9 of the 16 tubes are Loctals, and some of those are getting pricey or hard to find. There are Loctal subs for some of them, but to keep with 6.3 volt filament supply, you may need to change a socket and go with an octal or 7-pin tube. That is a worst case scenario, and I just searched and found FM1000 and 7B7 still for sale.
I find a gentle pry with a blunt screwdriver while rocking with the other hand works well to get them loose. Then polish the pins if corroded. Good luck.

Post subject: Re: Philco 48-1276
PostPosted: Mar Sat 31, 2018 6:45 pm 

Thanks for the info, John. I had paid for the radio about 2 weeks before I could get up there to snag it. That gave me some time to score an original Philco service manual and the Sams for it as well as the supplement for the electro-mechanical tuner. I have the Rider's manual that covers it, too, but my Rider collection is made up of the original binders. I should probably spring for the digital version so I can print out what I need and make notations, but there's something fun and mysterious about leafing thru those old books. There's been several occasions where I've found handwritten notes, receipts, etc. in the pages.

I'm road tripping it back up to SF again next weekend to get the 2nd load. I bought an RCA 262 that has all the original paperwork with it including a letter to and reply back from RCA regarding the owner's dissatisfaction with his new radio. Pretty cool.

My aunt's been storing a few radios for me at her place in Carmel Valley, so I'll swing by there on the way home. There's a Crosley O2CP, an RCA T63 wooden table radio, and a Zenith 808 tombstone.

I'll upload photos when everything makes it home.