Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 22, 2018 11:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Reinforcement for Speaker Cones?
PostPosted: May Sat 08, 2004 5:32 pm 

I was reading on a website about a how a guy had restored an old Hallicrafters and stuck his finger thru its "old, brittle, dried out speaker cone". I did the same thing to a Airline this week. I'm wondering if speaker cones really do break down over time and if there is a good way to recondition them?<P>I was thinking that some type of spray-on coating might be used to soak in and "toughen up" the old paper. Any thoughts? <P> <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: May Sat 08, 2004 5:39 pm 

A mixture of half polyurathane & half mineral sprits painted on the paper cone will toughen it up. I've also used lacquer & thinner it seems to work ok to.<P>------------------<BR>Bill French

PostPosted: May Sat 08, 2004 5:49 pm 

Those mixtures will dry stiff causing the speaker to loose its bass responces .<BR>Get some fabric glue that says dries clear on the bottle , carfully glue the damege back first let that dry then if you wish you can brush a thin coat over the whole cone .<BR>You should not need to coat the whole thing though .. after its back i the case it wont get touched . <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: May Sat 08, 2004 6:03 pm 

I repair speakers with white or yellow glue and the paper from unused tea bags.<P>Cut tea bag so it is about 1/4-inch larger than the hole.<P>Using a rectangular artists paint brush, gently apply glue around the affected area.<P>Lay tea bag paper over hole.<P>Apply glue to tea bag--carefully spreading from the center to the outside area.<P>Allow to dry at ambient temperature for 12 hours.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: May Sat 08, 2004 6:34 pm 

I used the tea bag trick yesterday but used GC Electronics Insulating Coating to attach the bag to the cone. I spread the stuff all over the tea bag and gently formed it over the damaged area of the cone. It worked out well. The coating is rubbery, lays flat on the speaker paper cone and flexes well.<P>Wayne<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: May Sat 08, 2004 9:29 pm 

I use the polyurethane and mineral spirits mixed half and half on several speakers and it worked just fine for me. If theres any differance in sound my ears didn`t detect it. This want repair a speaker with a finger hole in it. Try some of the other suggestions.<BR>Make sure your coating doesn`t run into places it shouldn`t be.<P>------------------<BR>Rodney

PostPosted: May Sun 09, 2004 5:19 am 

After being really, really, careful and yet still sticking a finger through cones, the first thing I do now after taking a chassis out of the case is to cut a piece of cardboard and twistie-attach it over the speaker where it stays until after restoration and time to fire the set up. <P>Reece <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: May Sun 09, 2004 6:40 pm 

Old Radioz wrote:
<font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Allen:<BR><B>I was reading on a website about a how a guy had restored an old Hallicrafters and stuck his finger thru its "old, brittle, dried out speaker cone". I did the same thing to a Airline this week. I'm wondering if speaker cones really do break down over time and if there is a good way to recondition them?<P>I was thinking that some type of spray-on coating might be used to soak in and "toughen up" the old paper. Any thoughts? <P></B><HR>
<P>I use a product named Clay Pot Sealer. Comes in spray can. Best stuff so far. It will barely change the original paper color. It will not stiffen the cone like other product will but will bond the paper fibers.<P>Stiff cones will NOT change the frequency respone of a speaker. I wonder how many times I'll have to repeat that.<P>Brushing paper cones that are deteriorating with anything may cause more damage. Spraying is best, at a distance too.<P><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: May Sun 09, 2004 6:44 pm 

Old Radioz wrote:
<font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken G:<BR><B>Those mixtures will dry stiff causing the speaker to loose its bass responces .<BR></B><HR>
<P>As much as I hate to disagree with you Ken, since you restore speakers, you should know that a stiff(er) cone does NOT change the low frequency response. A stiffer/looser surround or spider will.<P>What a stiffer cone _may_ do is enhance the high and mid frequencies a bit but the bass will never suffer of a stiffer cone. In fact it may even be better as there will be less cone "breakup", so producing less distorion on low frequencies and high volume. Which of course if never encountered in old radios or Ham radios.<P>Syl<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: May Sun 09, 2004 6:56 pm 

I just used ``cone`` in general because to most people the surround is just part of the cone <BR>You can use cold oatmeal to fix speaker paper too .<BR>When i get a radio with anyting but fabric glue slatered on the cone i just have to replace the cone :-( Cones are running out please help not ruin what is left :-)<BR>Thanks <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: May Sun 09, 2004 9:03 pm 

Old Radioz wrote:
<font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken G:<BR><B> You can use cold oatmeal to fix speaker paper too .</B><HR>
<P>DON'T DO THAT !<P>You speaker will sound muddy on rainy days...<BR>[grin]<P>Syl<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: May Sun 09, 2004 9:14 pm 

"After being really, really, careful and yet still sticking a finger through cones, the first thing I do now after taking a chassis out of the case is to cut a piece of cardboard and twistie-attach it over the speaker where it stays until after restoration and time to fire the set up."<P>AMEN -- I now do that.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: May Mon 10, 2004 4:49 am 

I've robbed the cones from newer speakers or cheapies to repair/replace the one I'd rather have operating. Since you can find these for little or nothing, it's no big loss to pirate the cone.<P>-Ed<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: May Mon 10, 2004 6:28 am 

This is one avenue you can take, gently brush the old speaker cone off with a camel hair brush or something equal. Gently apply one part polyurethane and one part mineral spirits to the speaker cone. Let it dry overnight and apply another coat if needed.<P>I try to keep the original speaker and assembly if possible.<BR>Polyurethane is a more flexible solution than wood glues if thats a concern.<BR>I have experimented with this on other cones not being used. <P>------------------<BR>Rodney

PostPosted: May Wed 12, 2004 1:08 am 

I have used cigarette papers to repair speaker cones since the 1940s. You can buy a book of them at Circle K etc. for cheap and they are great to work with. I use elmers white glue or CP Moyen spkr cement to apply them. Downside is a nark may follow you home.<BR>Carl<P>------------------<BR>carl Roberts

PostPosted: May Wed 12, 2004 3:10 am 

I rely on a tip I picked up once on this fabulous forum and use pieces of old fabric softener sheets because they do not break down from the moisture of the glue. For glue I use the GC cement. Have not damaged two many since I also started to shield them with cardboard.<BR>Bill<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: May Wed 12, 2004 6:48 am 

Not trying to sell my idea but i think coating an old speaker cone thats dry rotted is a good idea. Thats before holes are poked in it.<BR>I turn my speakers down and hang them in position where i can apply this so any run off can be wiped up or fall on the floor.<BR>Maybe difficult to hang them, but whats easy?<BR>Have restored 75 year old speaker cones this way.<P>------------------<BR>Rodney

PostPosted: May Wed 12, 2004 7:11 am 

Never tried it myself but I remember reading somewhere that spraying cones with Armorall will put some life back in them. Maybe someone else has experience, either good or bad, using this procedure.<P>------------------<BR>Tim

Post subject: Re: Reinforcement for Speaker Cones?
PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 5:53 pm 

You want a stiff cone but do not want a stiff surround. I spray lightly with flat polyurethane clear.

Bruce