Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 12:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 5:21 pm 

New to group this is a cool forum. Live in Idaho and got motivated at an antique show to restore some radios. I just picked up a Majestic 6T120 and was hoping to find some parts to make the station card look new and also some new dials. My plan for this one is to convert it into a modern bluetooth inside for listening with our iPhones and iPads at home thru an old radio. Any suggestions would help

scott

Attachments:
6t120_ch_455_362182.jpg
6t120_ch_455_362182.jpg [ 32.67 KiB | Viewed 597 times ]

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 7:43 pm 

Hi Scott and welcome to the forum.

Reproduction parts and restoration supplies are available from some of the sellers on the right of your screen ----------------->

You might look at RadioDaze for new dials and there are a couple of vendors who make new reproduction knobs etc...

If you want to convert the unit to use bluetooth you can usually feed signal in at one side of the volume control pot.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions, people here are really knowledgeable.

If you are working on a specific radio try to keep all of your information on one particular radio in one thread.

Cheers and good luck.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 11:20 pm 

Hi Scott,
I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I am fairly new to the forum and I can tell you it's full of great people who want to help each other. Since I'm pretty new at this I'm asking more questions than answering, but there are plenty of experienced radiomen on here who can help you. Good luck with the radio.

Dan

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 11:32 pm 

Scbrice wrote:
was hoping to find some parts to make the station card look new and also some new dials.

scott

What are you referring to as "the station card"?
Do you refer to the tuning dial face?

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 2:35 am 

Thanks for the warm welcomes, I also scored a Philco 40-120 radio today also. And yes I meant the dial face that has the stations on it. I’ll check out the dealers on the screen

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 2:48 am 

Pbpix wrote:
Scbrice wrote:
was hoping to find some parts to make the station card look new and also some new dials.

scott

I have yet to find any parts, I’ve googled majestic and philco and cannot find any sites offering knobs and dial face or even suggestions on how to clean these up.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 3:00 am 

Scbrice wrote:
Pbpix wrote:
Scbrice wrote:

scott

I have yet to find any parts, I’ve googled majestic and philco and cannot find any sites offering knobs and dial face or even suggestions on how to clean these up.

Hi, this place, which has an ad on the right, will have some knobs and other items. http://www.renovatedradios.com/

Also, if you use the search function at the to of the page and type in cleaning radio knobs you should get links for that on this site.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 4:18 am 

Scbrice wrote:

Welcome to the forum!

My first question is whether you can post some pics of your own radio? The pics from RMorg are not good. They show a stripped radio with a poorly-chosen replacement grill cloth and likely incorrect replacement knobs. That's not what your radio is supposed to look like at all, so don't strive for that! The best thing would be if you can show us the radio you have, so we can help you figure out what to do with it.

As for cleaning a dial face, the best word to use is "caution." Try to clean it as best you can with a DRY paper towel. Some radio dials, especially Philcos but others too, are notorius for having been printed with water-soluable ink. If you use any kind of substance, like water, dish soap, windex, Gojo, etc. that contains even a little water, the printing on the dial just wipes away. If you can find a printed spot on an edge, that doesn't show when the radio is in the cabinet, you can test a wet rag on a tiny spot and see what happens. Another reason to use caution is that the plastic material many dials were printed on, has become brittle with age. The slightest flexing can cause them to crack and break. Heartbreaking when a nice, rare, unreproduced dial face literally shatters into 5 pieces just because you brushed it with the edge of your wrist. (Yes, I speak from experience.)

There are many, many discussions on these and other topics here on AntiqueRadios.com. It will take you a long time to read them, when you find them. For instance, if you hit the Search button up there on the top left of the screen, and type cleaning knobs into the search box, you will be taken to a Google results list of threads here on this site on the topic. Looks like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cleanin ... radios.com

As for reproduction parts, you're unlikely to find a vendor that has reproduction parts specifically for that radio, in stock, sitting on the shelf, waiting for you to order them. The more usual path is to identify a vendor who reproduces parts, and work with them to get the parts made that you need. For example, radiodaze.com makes dial faces. renovatedradios.com makes knobs. dialcover.com makes dial covers. Some vendors recone speakers. Others rewind transformers. They're not short-lead items you can just buy off the shelf. Usually you have to send what you have to them, and then they work with you, and with the parts you provide, to either refurbish them or create reasonable facsimiles of the original.

Best of luck, welcome again, and do try to post some pictures please.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 5:02 am 

Scbrice wrote:
New to group this is a cool forum. Live in Idaho and got motivated at an antique show to restore some radios. I just picked up a Majestic 6T120 and was hoping to find some parts to make the station card look new and also some new dials. My plan for this one is to convert it into a modern bluetooth inside for listening with our iPhones and iPads at home thru an old radio. Any suggestions would help

scott

It's nice to have another Idahoan on the forums!

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 6:14 am 

Scbrice wrote:
Pbpix wrote:
Scbrice wrote:

scott

You still dind't answer my question:
Did you mean the dial face & numbers when you say "station card"?

If so... there are places that sell very good replacement duplicates.
Radiodaze is a good starting place.
http://www.radiodaze.com/

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 7:57 am 

Pbpix wrote:
You still dind't answer my question

The answer is there, Peter, I think you just missed it...

Scbrice wrote:
Thanks for the warm welcomes, I also scored a Philco 40-120 radio today also. And yes I meant the dial face that has the stations on it. I’ll check out the dealers on the screen

By 'stations', I think Scbrice means the frequency numbers.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 10, 2017 4:32 am 

Every time I try to add even a simple photo from my iPhone it says file too large(annoying). After reading some of the posts I think I’ll just keep looking for repair parts. The dial and plastic cover is broken, the speaker cloth is ripped. Point being I’ve googled stuff for days and can’t find anything for a majestic 6T120

PostPosted: Dec Sun 10, 2017 4:43 am 

Scbrice wrote:
Every time I try to add even a simple photo from my iPhone it says file too large(annoying). After reading some of the posts I think I’ll just keep looking for repair parts. The dial and plastic cover is broken, the speaker cloth is ripped. Point being I’ve googled stuff for days and can’t find anything for a majestic 6T120

Use a photo editing site and EDIT the image to 800 x 600 pixels... or smaller.
Save it as a jpg file. No larger than 800 pixels on x or y

If you want repro dials and cloth etc and other parts
http://www.radiodaze.com

PostPosted: Dec Sun 10, 2017 6:39 am 

Radiodaze.com really is your best bet on that dial. If you have the broken pieces of the original dial, even if you only have most of them, you can send them into radiodaze' graphics dept, and one day down the road a near exact replacement will arrive in your mail. [I did get an email from them saying they're pretty backlogged right now. I'd guess it could easily be a 4 month wait.] But no-one else does it, and my feeling is that your radio is uncommon enough that another unit to use as parts is unlikely to show up anytime in the near future.

How patient are you? One of the guys in my club had a nearly pristine Stromberg-Carlson 635 chassis with no cabinet. He was determined to find a nice original cabinet for it. Mind you, it's a fairly common radio; it's not hard to find a complete one at all. But he just wanted a nice empty cabinet, so he waited. And finally 17 YEARS later, an empty cabinet showed up on eBay and he grabbed it. That's the way it goes sometimes.