Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 17, 2017 8:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Telefunken Gavotte 5253W - Starting work
PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 3:46 am 

Hi All,

EDIT: Changed this to a resto thread. See below for initial findings and questions.

Perhaps foolishly, I just bought a Telefunken Gavotte 5253W. Now that I have paid for it I started looking around for documentation. Maybe I should have done that first? Most of the sites I have found are full of big DOWNLOAD NOW buttons that actually want to install something. At radiomuseum I found a schematic but there is supposed to be an 8 page manual. Sams seems to have tons of other Telefunkens but not the 5253W. Anybody have a link or copy? Are there any other sources of information on this set? Not being a real radio repair guy like most of you I need all the documentation I can get.

Thanks! I'm gonna need all the help I can get on this one!

Last edited by madlabs on Dec Fri 08, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Telefunken Gavotte 5253W
PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 8:18 am 

A couple pages...
http://oldtech.net/German.html

Maybe the same two pages... called a 5353W Gavotte:
http://www.nvhr.nl/gfgf/schema.asp?Merk ... mitted=yes

Which leads to an 8-page manual on RMorg:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/telefunke ... w5353.html

And a thread here indicating the 5253 and 5353 use the same chassis...
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie ... 4&t=323407

Hope that helps,
Rodney

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 4:39 pm 

Thanks so much!

So it looks like there was never a Sam's. Is there any other printed service info on these sets? I'm happy to buy if there is anything.

Now I'll go back to hoping the radio arrives intact. I've never bought a radio on ebay before. I did drop the seller a note and implored him to pack it well.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 6:36 pm 

I've got 5 Telefunken Radios:
-Gavotte 8
-Gavotte 9
-Gavotte 5253W
-Concertino 5384W
-Opus 7

They are all fine playing radios.
I think you have chosen well.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 2:32 pm 

I believe this may be one of the Gavotte radios that uses a printed circuit board. If so, be very careful as those boards are quite fragile.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 4:10 pm 

Thanks for the help!

Radio museum sends the doc in single pages. It'll take days to get the whole thing. If anyone has a complete PDF that would be great. Looking around I don't see any paper docs for sale, is it worth posting a want here?

It arrived intact! It was very well packed. I'll convert this thread to the resto thread.

Attachment:
gavotte2.jpg
gavotte2.jpg [ 131.1 KiB | Viewed 126 times ]

The only thing that happened in transit was that the ferrite antenna had come out of its holder and had flopped over in front of the dial. Took me a minute to figure it all out.

Attachment:
20171207_184416_resized.jpg
20171207_184416_resized.jpg [ 125.76 KiB | Viewed 126 times ]

You can see the thin bare wire up and over the speaker wires and down in front of the dial.

Attachment:
gavotte1.jpg
gavotte1.jpg [ 151.26 KiB | Viewed 126 times ]

Luckily the 30 gauge or so wire had only broken in one spot and so I wound it back on the ferrite, a little tape and solder the break and it is back in action.

Attachment:
20171208_061920_resized.jpg
20171208_061920_resized.jpg [ 128.9 KiB | Viewed 126 times ]

The seller said it played, so I fired it up with a variac and ammeter. It is drawing 420mA or so, less than the docs say it should. The eletrolytics in the PSU are running cool as is the transformer. It works GREAT on FM and quite well on AM. Haven't really tried it on SW yet. And before someone says it, I will immediately replace the 'lytics and paper caps. I just had to see what it could do.

The only physical thing I see so far is that one of the tuning pulleys on the AM dial is very warped. It still works but for how long?

Attachment:
20171207_193318_resized.jpg
20171207_193318_resized.jpg [ 148.62 KiB | Viewed 126 times ]

It does have PCB's so I will be careful of them. In what regard are they fragile? Does the board break or traces come of easily? Is it best to hook and loop replacement parts?

Are there any other parts that should be replaced out of hand? The rectifier diodes or anything?

I have some more questions but I am going to try to get a complete schematic and docs and do some more poking around first.

I am really liking the look and performance of this radio. It is gonna look great next to the Predicta!

Post subject: Re: Telefunken Gavotte 5253W - Starting work
PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 3:36 pm 

Working on a parts list.

I assume that 2.2uF should be fine for a 2uF and that 47uF should be fine for a 50uF?

I assume that all caps over about 800pF are paper?

I also only have one dial light but the schematic says two. Where would the other one be?

Post subject: Re: Telefunken Gavotte 5253W - Starting work
PostPosted: Dec Sun 17, 2017 8:30 pm 

Hi All,

Well, got a cap order in and a paper schematic for the 5353 chassis which is supposed to be the same as the 5253 and comparing the schematics it appears so.

Went to start on the power supply and quickly got confused. It took me a while to figure out that a can I assumed was a cap is the FWB rectifier diodes. These are listed as selenium. They get just barely warm if the set is in operation for 1/2 hour. Should these be replaced?

Of course I didn't get all the caps I needed but I should at least be able to get the power supply done. With the holidays coming up and the set playing so well as is I would like to do what needs to be done to make it safe to use first and use it a bit over the holidays and then come back in January and complete the job. What other caps need to go to prevent catastrophic meltdowns?

I'm sorry but I can't seem to resize the schematic and keep it legible. I'll work on that.