Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 3:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Capehart Panamuse 21M2FM Chippendale
PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 12:36 am 

I am new here. I have a Capehart Panamuse 21M2FM Chippendale radio/record player. It 2as my grandfather's. I believe it was last used in the 50s. It is 8n very good shape, but has rather a lot of dust on the tblubes, and the wiring looks brittle; I would not like to try to turn it 9n and damage something.
I want to sell it, but don't know whether to clean up the finish, clean off the dust inside, replace the wires. I would also like advice on how to get the best price for it. I saw on EBay where one sold for $1200. I saw a picture of exactly the same model on a radio museum website.
If anyone can give me guidance, I would be grateful.

Post subject: Re: Capehart Panamuse 21M2FM Chippendale
PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 2:48 pm 

Welcome to the forum..!! YES.. clean and polish it. YES carefully clean the dust out of the chassis. But expecting $1200 for it may be very wishful. Those large beasts are harder to sell than in years past. Us older collectors have no back or knees left.
Best of luck with it!!
mark

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 3:05 pm 

Thank you, Mark. I will do as you recommend. Is there a reason not to put it in good working order by replacing the wiring? I don't trust the wires...I am, however, competent with such tasks.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 3:32 pm 

Zohara wrote:
Thank you, Mark. I will do as you recommend. Is there a reason not to put it in good working order by replacing the wiring? I don't trust the wires...I am, however, competent with such tasks.

The wiring is the "tip of the iceberg" in getting something like this operating again. IMO opinion you can only negatively impact the unit's market value if you attempt to work on this set without having the technical expertise or equipment to do so. There's a good reason to leave the wiring (by "wiring" my presumption is that you mean "AC line cord") intact but deteriorated: it will deter anyone from plugging in the set. Replacing just the line cord without replacing or testing certain other internal parts could lead to severe electrical damage if the radio were then plugged in and turned on.

Here is a link discussing the pros and cons of this model: http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... 1&t=190949

Since it's a pre-WW2 console, its record changer can only handle 78 RPM records; and the FM band that it tunes was obsoleted by the FCC's 1945 decision to reallocate the FM band. And of course, it isn't stereo-capable- this was decades in the future when this set was manufactured. These are reasons why it hasn't probably been used in the past 50 years... and why very few people would be interesting in buying it.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 12:39 pm 

Hello Zohara and welcome to the antique radio forums!

The Capehart 21M2FM is a 1942 model of the Panamuse series. Capehart was a very high end manufacturer before and just after WWII.
Their claim to fame is the elaborate record changer that was able to automatically play both sides of a record in the stack. Very few record changers could do this and Capehart's was the best at it. The process is to gently "flip'over" the record o play the other side.

The Panamuse series was introduced about 1938 or 1939 after Farnsworth bought out Capehart. It is considered Capehart's low end series without the elaborate changer. The Panamuse uses a Farnsworth designed standard drop changer instead.

That being said, the Panamuse series still uses a quality chassis and speaker system which was also used in their 100 series models with the flip-over record changer, however they aren't as sought after or command the prices of the 100 or 400 series.

The 400 series were their flag-ship models and today can be quite in demand. They also came out with the 500 series which were the over-the-top high end expensive elaborate cabinets. They are rare as hens teeth and were sold only to the very well heeled.

I am somewhat familiar with the Capehart 21M2FM as I've owned 2 of them. I still have one of the two as I didn't need both.
I'm not sure what you found in one selling for $1200, but it may have been a 100 series model such as the 111M2FM or 112M2FM.
I paid less than $100 for each of mine unrestored. But different parts of the country, such as California or New York, they could bring more.

Now, I do have to ask, as this is your grandfather's radio, are you sure you want to part with it? :D
You could have it restored and enjoy it. But yes, it will require much more than just replacing brittle wiring.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!