Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 13, 2018 9:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Finished: Weird Westinghouse H-104
PostPosted: Apr Sat 25, 2015 6:39 pm 

Here's a Westinghouse H-104

I got this from fellow ARFer Pred in a night-time roadside radio trade a few years ago.

Quite an interesting radio, with it's unique curves, receding louvres and heavy with solid wood sides.
Servicing was unremarkable, except that nearly all of the resistors were bad. One was even open, though it looked perfect.

Has an audio section with twin, parallel 6Y6. The cabinet was in great shape, and the finish still good, so I just ended up gluing the sides together.
I tried using Restor-a-finish for the first time, and I'm not sure what it's supposed to do, mask scratches, but it's effect wore off pretty quickly.

This was a fun, quick project, and a nice-playing set with low noise.

Last edited by SmoothOscillator on Apr Sat 25, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Finished: Weird Westinghouse H-104
PostPosted: Apr Sat 25, 2015 7:18 pm 

I like it a lot, Anything with push-pull is cool!

PostPosted: Apr Sat 25, 2015 7:35 pm 

I like that set, and it looks like you did a nice job on it! After the experiment with Howard's that wore off, what did you do with the finish before calling it done?

On the schematic for this set, it shows 6Y6s, but you say yours has 6V6s... Yeah, they're pin compatible, but are they actually swappable? Not usually listed as variants or "similar" to each other.

-Rodney

PostPosted: Apr Sat 25, 2015 8:34 pm 

My fault- I've had 6V6 on the brain. It's dual 6Y6 and they're in parallel- not push-pull!
I'll edit the post...

PostPosted: Apr Sat 25, 2015 8:38 pm 

And the finish- just gave it a wipe down with Howard's Orange oil.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 25, 2015 8:53 pm 

SmoothOscillator wrote:
My fault- I've had 6V6 on the brain. It's dual 6Y6 and they're in parallel- not push-pull!
I'll edit the post...

Still...more power!!!

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 3:57 am 

Hi,

I know this is an older post, but the Westinghouse H104 I bought had two 6L6GT output tubes. When I saw it, I thought to myself, "Push pull 6L6's. That should sound good." It was only later when I got it home and looked things over more thoroughly that I saw that this radio really needed two 6Y6's. I've since put in a couple of proper 6Y6's. When I got it, my radio had been mostly recapped, but I still need to replace the older non-original electrolytic capacitors. I'm guessing they were replaced in the 1950's or 1960's. Still, when I brought it up on my variac, it worked without any humming, for what that's worth.

My radio is the H-104A version with the miniature 6AT6 tube.

The felt behind the glass dial on my radio is humdrum brown. I really like the eye-popping look you created using blue felt.

Tom

Last edited by Tommgb on Dec Wed 13, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 4:25 am 

I still own this radio..always impressed with the design, and it's heavy! Glad to hear of another one in use!

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 6:58 am 

Great Job!! I like it and the wood is beautiful!! Congrats and Thanks for sharing it with us!!!

Linda

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 8:26 pm 

Well..I have since the tube radio bug hit me, I have always liked this radio.I always make an excuse not to bid/snipe one on Ebay.I for many years I fell under the German tube radio fixation...which once you learn the skill to repair them.. are superb playing devices.I overcame my German radio .."Jag"..I grew up with these radios in Germany..and the withdrawal was very gradual.I caught the late thirties big GE bug...GE-93..etc...when I caught my second JE-101...both bargains ..I knew to quit cold turkey.Your Westinghouse H-104 is an excellent example of the very early postwar high quality American radio...The quality of cabinet..styling..performance seems to have been a continuation of the superb American prewar designs.I have two early postwar Emerson 524 boat anchors that play super...but look like kitchen appliances .Weird...?..Not in the least...Westinghouse went weird with their late forties H-161...cheaper cabinet and performance.In closing ...I really like your H104...next one I see ...I will snag it.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 9:13 pm 

Love that blue dial! I think what the restore-a-finish does is it lightly re-melts the old finish and helps it blend in again, plus it comes mixed with few different tones/stains. You would need to apply feed-n-wax after that. It's not made to make something look new. It's made to make old finishes look presentable and to stop/slow down degradation/flaking.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 10:22 pm 

Restore "neutral"...have used many times....I use it exclusively with a 000 grit steel pad to knock out any old shellac/lacquer....very effective.I have a Grundig 4010w..which looked like a dried up,pocked marked,lacquer split..wreck.After the treatment....it was able to be properly treated.Same old stain shined through...."Restore" is not a finish tool...Most folks here turn their nose up on this product...But properly used...it works well..

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 10:28 pm 

Quote:
Restore "neutral"...have used many times

I still have the product, and have used it as a finish cleaner - I'll take your advice.

Re: the blue dial, I believe the original was Forest green paper or felt, badly discolored. I changed it to the blue felt just to give the dial some pop.