Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 17, 2018 1:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinions on selling Atwater Kent Model 61 & speaker
PostPosted: Dec Mon 25, 2017 4:23 am 

Hi all!

I have had the radio bug for half my life, and somewhere around 2002 found an Atwater Kent Model 61 with a F-6-A speaker in barn-fresh condition --a find that inspired many projects.

I've restored many old pieces of equipment since then, but this one being pre-war and designed for (I think) urban DC power, left it as a shelf piece for the last 15 years. I realize today that it is on the list of things that will never get done, and would like to see it go someplace useful. (My interests have gone to crystal sets & transistor radios).

I'm requesting some group opinion on how to try to part with it: (clearly NOT eBay, as were in the 75lb. range without a crate.) Is a high voltage DC radio too esoteric for collectors? Should this set be parted-out to help more restorers?

I'm close to Kutztown, but only ever made the May swap on Sunday a few times. It doesn't seem like setting up a table for one radio makes sense, and I'd rather do trade/barter. Any thoughts on finding this radio a home? Or does it sound dumpster-bound?

Wil
KC2OVW in central PA.

Post subject: Re: Opinions on selling Atwater Kent Model 61 & speaker
PostPosted: Dec Tue 26, 2017 12:11 am 

110 volt DC sets are kind of a hard sell at your typical antique radio swap meets. I wouldn't junk it but I wouldn't expect to get very much for it either. The speaker should fair better, probably around the $75 range. Worse comes to worse, you could always donate it to a local radio club or give it away to someone.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 28, 2017 1:39 am 

Thanks Michael, and a few others that pm'd me directly.

I know its not worth much (especially in its condition), I just hate the idea of it ever seeing a landfill. I've gone to a few amateur clubs here (we're quite rural) and they're more interested in Skywarn and repeaters.

I see that most of the folks who would be after something so esoteric, would likely prefer something that didn't need a full restore. With that in mind, I'll list it as a "for trade" in the forums here, and likely separate the speaker. Are any of the parts to the AK-61 of value to folks with 60s or 55s? I'm guessing at the cheap manufacturing Atwater used, there are probably a lot of useful bits that fit multiple sets. Thoughts?

Thanks again,
Wil
KC2OVW in central PA.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 28, 2017 2:19 am 

The speaker is not likely to be usable with other radios.

Its field coil connects directly cross the 110vDC line.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 6:56 am 

My neighbor had that radio and gave it to me to fix back around 1973. Took me a few years but I eventually did it. You need to make a 110v DC fuse-protected supply for it to run it, and likely put a new rubber on the tuning knob shaft. The radio will likely work, actually.
yes, the speaker is only good for the 110DC models, so dont try it with any others ! While some parts interchange with the AC models 55 or 60 (mainly the cabinet, knobs, dial and tube shields) its not worth scrapping it out for those.
I would make it work. Its a 1929 model year radio.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 1:20 am 

I’ve got the same radio. For a power supply I went down to the local alarm company and picked up nine used 12 volt emergency light batteries. Since they were outdated I got them for scrap price but they still have plenty of life. Built a box and wired them up in series.