Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 18, 2018 6:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Received Two Radios for Christmas
PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 4:59 am 

My brother-in-law specializes in finding homes for unwanted items. When those items are older electronics, I'm his first choice for that new home.

For Christmas he gave me two radios, a Stromberg Carlson 350V, and a Majestic 52, I think. The chassis is marked Model 50.

The Stromberg Carlson was given to him by a friend who just wanted to get rid of it because it was taking too much space. The radio is a corner cabinet type and is in quite nice condition. The top needs a few square inches of veneer reattached and both the top and lower front need a small amount of veneer repair, and some of the molding on the lower front is missing. The top also needs finish work. Something got pushed through the grill cloth and seems to have also done some damage to the speaker cone. I think the damage is repairable. All of the knobs are present.

I did a few electrical checks and got continuity on the primary and high voltage secondary of the power transformer. I got continuity on both the primary and secondary of the output transformer and through the field coil. Most of the tubes are good, although the eye tube is weak.

He saw the Majestic as he was driving by and someone was putting it out to the trash. He stopped and struck up a conversation. They said they had tried to unload it on Craigslist but got no takers. They were thrilled that it was going to a new home. The cabinet on this radio is in good shape, with some wear and tear, and it needs some finish work. The grill cloth has a tear but the speaker is intact. It's missing one of the knobs.

Electrically, I get continuity through the primary and high voltage secondary of the power transformer, both sides of the output transformer, both sides of the audio interstage transformer and the field coil. The tubes are mostly good, although one of the 45s is weak. Two tube shields are missing. It has the original line cord, two single conductor wires, twisted, and in quite good condition.

Both of these sets look to be good performers, and I was thrilled to get these radios. It may be a while before I get to these because of other projects, but they're in the cue.

Below are a few photos.

Jeff

(for some reason the photos in portrait orientation get posted sideways, does anyone know how to correct that?)

Attachments:
IMG_1517.JPG
IMG_1517.JPG [ 119.8 KiB | Viewed 928 times ]
IMG_1520.JPG
IMG_1520.JPG [ 121.09 KiB | Viewed 928 times ]
IMG_1519.JPG
IMG_1519.JPG [ 114.73 KiB | Viewed 928 times ]
IMG_1523.JPG
IMG_1523.JPG [ 111.33 KiB | Viewed 928 times ]

Post subject: Re: Received Two Radios for Christmas
PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 2:16 pm 

Good radios at an excellent price! If you use a Windows machine you can use the app Paint to rotate the pictures.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 3:51 pm 

That looks like a Majestic model 50. I had a model 50 and it was a bit od a challenge to replace the crumbling wires. it is a good radio when completed.
The Stromberg should look good when you are done.
Both are good presents.
dam in Calgary

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 6:16 pm 

Good sets. I recently finished restoring the same model majestic a few weeks back. It is definately a challenge! Unlike any chassis I have restored previously! A decent performer when completed.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/davesradios/

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 8:05 am 

I think I have that Majestic knob. Its one of the dull gold ones. Other Majestics had silver faced ones.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 10:58 pm 

LarryAD, Yes, you can't beat free. For the photos, they're already formatted vertically, and open vertically in Paint. Somehow they got switched to horizontal when I opened them into the posting.

Dan and Dave, the Majestic does have an unusual chassis layout, and lots of crumbly wires, should be fun.

Mark, I sent you an e-mail about the knob.

Jeff