Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 13, 2018 12:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My Prized Philco Radio
PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 10:07 pm 

My Grandfather listening to his prized '48 Philco in 1948. Now my prized radio, I gave it a good paste waxing this morning. It's all original, still plays but needs recapped and minor rewiring. It will play again someday.

Philco47

Attachments:
Grandad & Philco.jpg
Grandad & Philco.jpg [ 75.15 KiB | Viewed 1499 times ]
philco 1000.jpg
philco 1000.jpg [ 106.76 KiB | Viewed 1499 times ]

Post subject: Re: My Prized Philco Radio
PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 10:43 pm 

My grandparents got rid of their '46 Silvertone console when I was a kid and went with transistor radios and never looked back. I am glad someone gets to keep a nice heirloom radio like that and appreciates it. Early on in the FM era they made tube FM converter boxes for AM radios and I wonder if there was a modern solid state equivalent, if some more people might hold onto their big radios. A basic FM mono tuner with an AM modulator. That ought to be easy enough. Or build an AM modulator board into some of the obsolete monophonic FM tuners that sell cheap. That could increase the demand for them and the radios. Now there, I have thought of a use for an old Eico FM tuner that I got at a sale for 5 bucks! Or an online how-to article somewhere.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 10:49 pm 

I have the same view. My most prized are the family pieces, a 50's Motorola HiFi that was my parents, and three other radios that belonged to my father when he was a teen. Those are a Hallicrafters S-38B, Truetone bakelite table radio, and a gray Zenith tube portable. So far only the Truetone has been restored, and was the radio in my bedroom as a child. When I was about eight I was listening to it and there was a pop, and smoke rolled out of it. My father fixed it that evening while I watched, and a life long love of old radios began for me.

David

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 12:23 am 

I tore apart my prized radio inheritance when I was 12 or 13 years old (mid to late 1960s).
I don't know what brand it was.
I do remember that it was a console and it had 3 or 4 criss-cross gold bars across the speaker grill,
and there was round things where the gold bars crossed.
It had a power transformer and it seemed like the output transformer was mounted on the chassis.
I remember asking my Dad what the little tubular things were with the colored bands and he didn't know.
I later found out that they were 1/2-watt resistors.
Years afterwards I felt bad about destroying the old radio.
However, it did help instill in me a lifelong interest in electronics.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 12:45 am 

I am happy to have my grandfather's Hallicrafters S40B, which he bought new to keep up with the latest news when my uncle went to the Korean war. Just wish I still had some of his other radios I destroyed to see what made them tick.

Attachments:
Hallicrafters S40B.jpg
Hallicrafters S40B.jpg [ 153.9 KiB | Viewed 1403 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 1:21 pm 

That's so great having a piece that has family history behind it. Very nice console. I find that any set in my collection that has a story behind it really makes it extra special.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 3:24 pm 

I cannibalized my parent's Zeniths, a racetrack and a bakelite AMFM. I have replaced both of them for them in more recent times with restored ones for them but they don't see much if any use, which is maybe why the old ones got taken apart. What I regret most is a Westinghouse fridge I was given that was nice but needed a tube, which as a kid I did not know what it was, and could not get it going. So it also ended up like the others. Seeing prices on them also makes me sad. Don't even mention the WW2 Hammarlund receiver I got cheap or free and took apart. SP 600 type thing.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 3:43 pm 

What a coincidence. I also inherited my dad's Hallicrafters S40B in the late 60's. My first radio. I learned the hard way about a "hot" chassis. Lesson learned. I experimented with it. Learned about signal tracing. I don't remember exactly what I all did to it but I remember it had another control and switch added on the front panel by the time I sold it. Somewhere during that time I also remember my dad scolding me when I was in over my head in messing with it and it wasn't working.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 2:54 am 

Philco47, thanks for sharing. That's pretty cool!

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 5:14 am 

That is a beautiful Philco.