Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 19, 2018 4:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Arvin Phanton Prince??
PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 11:55 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_0597.jpg
IMG_0597.jpg [ 23.65 KiB | Viewed 632 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_0597 (1).jpg
IMG_0597 (1).jpg [ 37.85 KiB | Viewed 632 times ]

I found this while shopping and fell in love with it!!!!!!! Hope I can ask for advice on how to clean it and to find out if i need to do anything special to keep it operational. Hopefully yall can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advanced for any help

Post subject: Re: Arvin Phanton Prince??
PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 3:24 pm 

Hi, welcome to the forum! Very nice radio!

A good place to start is https://antiqueradio.org/begin.htm. That website will tell you a lot about what to do and what not to do.

For cleaning, one thing to know is that you shouldn't use modern formulations like Pledge or Endust on old lacquer finishes. The most common recommendation here is to use original formula white (pumice-free) Gojo to get the dirt off, followed by Howard's Restor-A-Finish to give it some luster, and then a high-quality paste furniture wax to finish. That's a one-time thing, to get 60 years of grime off it. Then it should stay nice for years to come.

For using it as a radio, it needs to have its electrolytic and wax-paper capacitors replaced, if it hasn't. Any other parts that may be out of tolerance or broken have to be fixed. And then it probably needs a good alignment. Hook it up to an antenna and ground, and it should be ready to give you a faithful 10 or 20 years of service!

Ask questions as you go along... It may sound simple, but I'm sure you'll find there are pitfalls. :P

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 1:13 am 

Glad you found one with the knobs. I've been looking for one knob for mine for over 10 years now. A very nice radio-worth restoring and keeping.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 1:36 am 

Yea good idea to know what sort of previous repairs or restoration was done, if you want to operate it very much. Old deteriorated parts can result in something like merely reception fading away, to more drastic failures such as substantial damage and loss of hard to get parts, or even fires, in the worst case scenario. Remember most of these old radios did not have a fuse to blow as protection, although they can be added during restoration. So if something shorts out, it or related parts may just set there and melt or burn up. But don't let that worry you too much, a properly restored and working correctly old radio can give you many hours of safe enjoyment and pleasure. Just maybe perhaps, do not go to sleep or leave home and leave them turned on?