Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 14, 2018 8:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Telefunken "Jubilate 105" ??
PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 4:29 pm 

Hello. I have recently begun the process of sorting through my Dad's belongings. He was a NASA engineer during the years of the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo spacecrafts, and owned a bunch of Heathkit equipment at that time. That stuff is long gone, but I found a box of stuff this weekend with an old table radio in it. It is a "Telefunken" and the back panel says "Jubilate 105". It says made it Italy. My guess is its been in that box for decades, as I never saw it before.

The wooden radio box still has a nice shine . . . I'd say there are no major defects but a few minor scratches on top can be seen if you look close. The front cloth is all intact but maybe a bit yellow (if it was originally white ?). All the knobs and buttons are intact with no cracks. There is a simple single wire FM antenna coming out of the back and the AC cord with plug.

I was hesitant to do it, but I plugged it in and turned the power on. After about a minute the radio began to make some static. I pressed the FM button and tuned it to my favorite local station and it played perfectly. AM works too. An SW button is also there but didn't get any stations. There is some type of blue tuning indicator in the upper corner and this was illuminated as well. So all in all, it seems operational. I was a bit surprised and impressed . . . honestly I was just glad I didn't burn my home down.

I have found a great deal of NASA memorabilia, which I am going to pack up and keep. But I am an not an old radio collector and I'm thinking there are others who would enjoy and appreciate this more. I found this forum and know there is a for sale section.

My questions are simple . . . is this a radio with any value, and if yes and I am not violating any forum rules, what would be a reasonable and fair price range to sell it for? I am not expecting to buy a vacation home with the proceeds, but I'm trying to decide if I should hold onto it and maybe attempt to pass it on to the grandkids one day, or pass it on to a radio collector who would enjoy it now. If I keep it I will not use it and simply put it back in storage.

Any advise or comments would be appreciated. Thank you,

Craig

Post subject: Re: Telefunken "Jubilate 105" ??
PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 6:20 pm 

I would expect the value as a family heirloom should greatly exceed any monetary value of the radio. Pass it on to the grandchildren in the future and if they don't want it at that time they can deal with selling.

One is currently listed on eBay non-working for under $50, while another that worked sold online for over $150.

That's probably your price range, yours should fall somewhere in between.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 6:30 pm 

It is safer to not operate it until it has been serviced. Personally, I would get it fixed up and keep it. If not, maybe sell it here?

Where are you located?

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 6:43 pm 

Here's your radio:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/telefunke ... e_105.html

As a 1966 or '67 set, this had to be one of the last Telefunken tube radios on the market.

In non-working condition these usually go on eBay for less than $100, shipping not included. They are well-made radios but really nothing special, being toward the lower end of the Telefunken product lineup when it was made. Their compact dimensions make them somewhat difficult to work on, IMO.

German tube radios are invariably fused so that powering one up "blind" is a bit less risky than doing so with an unknown-condition USA-made set. Of course, that presumes that someone hasn't wrapped the fuse with aluminum foil, or substituted a 10A auto fuse for the correct value the set needs (1A or less). If you want to use the set on a regular basis it would be advisable to replace the two 50uF filter caps, the large cathode bypass cap on the EL84 tube, any bypass caps hanging off the B+ bus to ground, and the coupling cap from the EABC80 triode plate to the EL84 output tube grid. Other paper/foil caps in the set can go bad and impair operation of the unit, but not burn it up or damage expensive components.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 7:17 pm 

lorenz200w wrote:
Here's your radio:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/telefunke ... e_105.html

As a 1966 or '67 set, this had to be one of the last Telefunken tube radios on the market.

In non-working condition these usually go on eBay for less than $100, shipping not included. They are well-made radios but really nothing special, being toward the lower end of the Telefunken product lineup when it was made. Their compact dimensions make them somewhat difficult to work on, IMO.

BTW, whatever happens, DO NOT break or disconnect the dial cord! This was FAR AND AWAY the most difficult and confusing dial cord arrangement I have ever seen, and it took me something like *3 years* to find enough information and work up my energy to attempt restringing it. Then it took about a week of evenings to get it restrung and another two weeks to make slight tweaks so it was reliable. To remove the chassis, put the dial all the way to the left as you look at the front of the radio, and there is a slot that the pointer is supposed to slide out without removing it.

I also had to completely disassemble the concentric volume/tone control knob and remove the grease (which had turned to an epoxy-like consistency over the years). I had to heat it with a torch just to get it to move. Clean the shaft inside and out and DO NOT put any lubrication on it - the tone control is concentric with the volume with about a 3" long tight-fitting sleeve, ANY oil no matter how light will cause the volume to move when you adjust the tone controls, and vice-versa.

It was moderately difficult to work on otherwise, but is a very satisfactory radio when working, nothing too fancy but excellent audio.

Brett

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 1:23 am 

pixellany wrote:
It is safer to not operate it until it has been serviced. Personally, I would get it fixed up and keep it. If not, maybe sell it here?

Where are you located?

Thanks to those who replied. Not only do I have no ability to service this radio myself, but as a non-collector I barely understand some of the advice I was so generously given here.

So . . . it sounds like it might be around a $100 piece . . . I will run that by my kids tonight and make a decision to keep it or offer it for sale.

MARK . . . . thanks for the advice. I am in Owings Mils, MD - I guess we are sort of neighbors !

Craig

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 1:33 pm 

Well..heck..sad to see another family radio treated like an old mare.Bereft.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 9:36 pm 

Sperrkreis wrote:

Thanks for the comment, but I think that may be a bit dramatic and even unfair :D . My whole point of posting here was to learn what the radio was and approximately what the value might be. And I received some nice responses.

As I stated, I am not an old radio collector or restorer, and neither is anyone in my family. I had hoped this Telefunken would have been a bit more desirable, but apparently, from the few responses I received, the radio is really nothing special. Perhaps that's why my Dad had it packed away in a box for years. As they say, "it is what it is."

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 10:06 pm 

csf wrote:
Sperrkreis wrote:

Thanks for the comment, but I think that may be a bit dramatic and even unfair :D . My whole point of posting here was to learn what the radio was and approximately what the value might be. And I received some nice responses.

As I stated, I am not an old radio collector or restorer, and neither is anyone in my family. I had hoped this Telefunken would have been a bit more desirable, but apparently, from the few responses I received, the radio is really nothing special. Perhaps that's why my Dad had it packed away in a box for years. As they say, "it is what it is."

Thanks again.

It's not like this radio has little or no value- it's just that in the vast range of tube radios produced by Telefunken, this one isn't particularly historic, technically impressive, or highly collectible. But as an intact antique built by a respected radio manufacturer, it has value and desirability to someone out there and it will only appreciate in worth with the passing years. You could cash it out now for what you can get for it, or hang onto it and sell it later for a net amount that will probably exceed the current rate of inflation over the duration of your stewardship of it.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 10:09 pm 

It is interesting that your dad had this radio for so long but you never saw it.

Perhaps it was something he listened to at work? While not a 'special' radio, it is apparently a nice sounding one. An office radio would seem to be a good use for it.

Anyway, good luck with the radio, and congratulations on it not going up in smoke when you plugged it in. :)

PostPosted: Jan Fri 12, 2018 10:41 pm 

csf wrote:
pixellany wrote:

Where are you located?

Thanks to those who replied. Not only do I have no ability to service this radio myself, but as a non-collector I barely understand some of the advice I was so generously given here.

So . . . it sounds like it might be around a $100 piece . . . I will run that by my kids tonight and make a decision to keep it or offer it for sale.

MARK . . . . thanks for the advice. I am in Owings Mils, MD - I guess we are sort of neighbors !

Craig

Heck, I had a friend close to the Owings Mills Boulevard.
He did rebuild damaged european cars, have the complete adress
not present.
I just saw this about him, had no contact for many years:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/baltim ... =180748525

His son drives freight ships up and down the east coast.
Owings Mills is a fine place to live.
Beautiful area!

Regards,
SIXMILLION DOLLARMAN