Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Fri 22, 2019 12:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1950 Packard Car Radio made by Philco
PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 5:18 am 

I would imagine this radio would operate on 6 volts, does anyone know if it uses a positive ground?
Any chance this radio would be in Riders somewhere?
Thanks for the help

Post subject: Re: 1950 Packard Car Radio made by Philco
PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 5:54 am 

Yes, the '50 Packard used a 6V battery that was positive ground.

You can consult the Sams website (samswebsite.com) to see if a service folder exists for this set. You will need the Philco model number from the radio (either a data plate riveted to the radio or a paper label pasted inside the top cover).

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 6:50 am 

Interesting. I just finished restoring a Philco P-4735 radio for a 1949 Packard, and for documentation used the Sams Photofact which shows 6-volt negative ground. Did they switch polarity between those years?
R/ John

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 4:00 pm 

UV201 wrote:
Interesting. I just finished restoring a Philco P-4735 radio for a 1949 Packard, and for documentation used the Sams Photofact which shows 6-volt negative ground. Did they switch polarity between those years?
R/ John

No. I owned both a 1949 and a 1950 Packard and except for the electrical system parts vendor (one used Autolite parts, the other Delco-Remy) they were identical automobiles. Both used positive ground batteries, as did all other Packards up to 1956, all Ford products (including Lincoln) up to 1955, and all Chrysler products up to 1955. GM products were all negative ground, AFAIK.

Most domestic car makers converted from six volt electrical systems to 12V in 1955 and chose at that time to ground the negative battery terminal. Packard continued to use positive ground on its 12V 1955 cars but flipped it around for the '56 models to fall in line with the rest of the industry. No doubt this was very confusing to the car repair industry.

Sams documentation is very helpful but is well known to contain errors, some quite blatant. If you can supply the Photofact number, that might be helpful to the OP (documentation errors or not).

Last edited by lorenz200w on Jan Thu 04, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 6:22 pm 

I believe the radios would work either polarity, wouldn't they? Maybe I'm just thinking of the vibrators themselves....

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 7:23 pm 

The Photofact I referenced was 495-15, set 57, folder 15.
R/ John

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 7:24 pm 

classicelectronicsguy wrote:
I believe the radios would work either polarity, wouldn't they? Maybe I'm just thinking of the vibrators themselves....

Yes... probably. I know that vibrators came in "positive ground" and "negative ground" flavors, but am not sure how that was relevant to an electromechanical chopper unit. Possibly had something to do with the
point contact facing metal.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 9:30 pm 

If it's a mechanical vibrator it's not going to make a difference whether you hook it up as + or - ground. A solid state vibrator however will be blown or not work if polarity is reversed depending on who's solid state one you use.

See under Packard for the model used in 48-50: https://sites.google.com/site/identifyi ... -1/packard

billn

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 5:08 am 

The radio restoration I did was for a friend, and I did not actually see the vehicle or its battery ground polarity. But I should have considered that most cars pre-1955 or so used positive ground systems. After replacing the buffer cap, canned multi-section electrolytic, numerous waxed paper caps and a few out-of-spec resistors, I powered up the radio dutifully following the negative ground shown on the Photofact ... and it played very well, although I did think the hum of the running vibrator was a bit louder than usual. I wonder if that was caused by the reversed polarity. I should have thought to try powering it with positive ground. I've alerted the owner.
R/ John

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 8:05 am 

All the Mechanical vibrators I know did not have polarity. The solid state ones all DO, and are very reliable.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 4:29 pm 

Back when I was a kid I ran a '53 Ford radio on a 6v filament transformer from a TV... That viberator really sang on AC but radio played fine... Sooo in that light, polarity is of little importance...

No doubt the adapters that allow testing viberators in tube testers operate it from AC...

PostPosted: Jan Sat 06, 2018 7:25 am 

Most (all?) synchronous vibrators have polarity. In old taxi 2-way radio applications these had a + and - marked on them on the top and an index mark on the chassis. The socket allowed plugging them in 180 Degrees apart so that either the + or the - faced the mark, depending on the polarity of the car it was installed in.

http://www.wb6nvh.com