Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 25, 2018 8:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: '30s Zeniths for European Market
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 5:37 pm 

I purchased a Zenith radio several decades ago on Swiss Ebay. It was obviously built for the European Market, and I would like to know more about it... and others of it's siblings. John Bryant, co-author of just about every book worth reading on Zenith, was, before his untimely death, a member of our Oklahoma City vintage radio club. When I was awaiting the arrival of the radio from Switzerland, John told me Zenith did built some sets for the European market in the late 1930s, but only shipped a few before world unrest caused them to discontinue. John thought it "unlikely any of those would have survived the war." At next month's meeting, John inspected the radio and readily agreed that it was an authentic Zenith product. So many questions I would like to ask John now but alas, it's too late. How many different models were produced? How many were shipped to Europe? Is there a club dedicated to these European models? I am posting a photo of the radio, hoping generate discussion and knowledge of these "European Zenith's". frank in OKC

Attachments:
zenith-lowres.jpg
zenith-lowres.jpg [ 26.45 KiB | Viewed 1523 times ]

Post subject: Re: '30s Zeniths for European Market
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 6:04 pm 

Frank,
You know the next question is what is the part number and how about close up pics especially from the back. Also what is the tube line up?
All the best.
Henry

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 8:57 pm 

radiohenry wrote:
Frank,
You know the next question is what is the part number and how about close up pics especially from the back. Also what is the tube line up?
All the best.
Henry

Yes Frank, On the backside of the radio chassis should be a metal plate with a serial number on it. Something like N-234567 usually a letter and 6 digits. What I can say from the front panel is that the escutcheon is from a radio like a 6S229 And the knobology is also the same layout for the four knobs. But the Dial itself is totally different than the 1938 model year US radios. Pictures of the top and bottom of the chassis would be excellent as is the info from the metal plate.
John k9uwa

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 9:49 pm 

Some models were perhaps intended for all markets. For example, chassis 5707 used in models 7-D-162 and 7-D-168 could use several ballasts for voltages in the range from 117 to 250 V. Some time ago I found Zenith ballasts 100-48 in Czech Republic. See http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymode ... 025256.pdf

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 11:03 pm 

I believe this to be a Zenith export model...6B524

Attachments:
Zenith6B524small.jpg
Zenith6B524small.jpg [ 49.34 KiB | Viewed 1443 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 1:41 am 

I am attaching a couple of photos of the inside and inside label of the radio. Apparently it was sold in Zurich. I did retain the Ebay listing pages with the seller's description, but I have never had the chassis out of the radio. I do not know the tube line-up, but will try to slide the chassis out in the next few days and get the tube line-up. The metal tag on the chassis is: R636935. I wish I knew more about the radio. Is this the original finish? It would likely be very interesting to know it's history. Thanks folks for your comments and information. Art, love your radio! Us color-blind folks can see Blue, so I live that dial! Looking forward to future discussions! frank in OKC

Attachments:
smaller.jpg
smaller.jpg [ 40.15 KiB | Viewed 1413 times ]
newstartkabel426.jpg
newstartkabel426.jpg [ 28.12 KiB | Viewed 1413 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 1:57 am 

There were several export models made from about 1936 through WWII. Yours looks to be a 1938 model based on the dial and chassis, though it's a model I've never seen before. I highly suspect it's been refinished somewhere along the way, as veneer contrasts were usually toned down during this era.

It's a really nice set.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 3:11 am 

I have yet to find out why there is no documentation, schematics, etc., on export Zenith's from the 1930's -50's. I have a model 6Y61B - found nothing on this set. I provided basic info on mine to radiomuseum.org

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 3:34 am 

From the serial number this chassis is a 5640AT and a google of it came up with a thread on ARF of another one of this same chassis. http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=105241 That one was in Sweden. Notice the cabinet is a slightly different design on this one and the dial is for sure different. Plus someone added the eye tube to the 6 tube chassis. Either Zenith or a later add on? I looked for other 7 tube Zenith radios in the export versions but found none that show this type of dial and no eye tube other than the much larger dials of the shutter dial radios.

John k9uwa

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 3:48 am 

Export chassis 5640AT was used in several models...
viewtopic.php?p=2639373#p2639373

Greg.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 5:21 am 

I had previously posted about this Zenith export that I picked up a few years ago: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=185214. Since the original thread, Photobucket changes have killed the pictures. I still have the picture of it that was in the original CL ad...which I will add to this write-up.

I bought it in the Washington DC area from what I believe was a retired military officer's, since deceased, family. I was told that he purchased it while on a tour somewhere overseas and brought it back to the USA. The chassis is 5723AT and the speaker is 49U380, I was never able to figure out the turntable manufacturer or the Zenith model number. Here is the original CL picture of it:

BR,

Terry

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 5:37 am 

This is all so interesting! So there are more of them bopping around the globe than we had supposed. Also multiple models. So do we think Zenith continued to export to Europe during WWII? I understood Zenith stopped exports before the war started...

Blessings Frank in OKC

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 10:32 am 

Well here's mine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=328331

playing well every day

Gary

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 2:00 pm 

Lets go back and look again at the pictures Frank posted. First the label on the backside of the 2nd IF can. Bahnhofquai is an area within Zurich Switzerland so most likely the location of the radio store who sold the radio back in 1938. Next observation from the rear you can see the eye tube that is mounted near the top of the dial. The serial number metal tag R636935 points to Chassis 5640AT from the Zenith Oracle and is a 6 tube chassis that doesn't have an Eye tube. Frank I bet when you count the tubes in this one you come up with 7 tubes rather than 6 of them. So once Frank takes the chassis out of the cabinet so we can see pictures of the top and bottom of the chassis perhaps we can tell how the eye tube is wired into the chassis? The next thing to notice is the dial on the radio. None of the Zenith radios have ever been seen with a dial on them like this one? Or none that I have ever seen. All of the other AT export versions of Zenith chassis have dials that are a bit different in that they have on some of them the LW band and are missing the Police band. Some are 4 band radios with LW as well as the usual BC Police and SW bands. Also most of the other Export Zenith AT chassis models are in the same cabinet as the US sold radios. This one has a different cabinet than any of the other 5640AT chassis. And the last thing I notice in Frank's pictures is the piece of plywood that is under the radio chassis. Some Radio Shop may have been able to cut a hole in the dial pan and mount and wire up the eye tube and mount the radio into some other available cabinet but no way some radio shop would have been able to come up with the dial that is on this radio. Frank all of us are looking forward to additional pictures of this chassis top bottom front rear etc once you get it out of the cabinet.
I hope that Martin Blankinship shows up and weighs in on this very unusual Zenith radio. Perhaps Martin could shed additional light on this one?
John k9uwa

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 2:11 pm 

Zenith exports definitely continued after the War. I've seen several 1950's sets besides my 6Y61B, which is the only example of this model I've seen.. . and I have been looking for over 10 years. http://www.antiqueradio.com/Sep08_Hayden_Zenith.html

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 3:37 pm 

Here is a picture of the dial, that I took this morning, on my aforementioned Zenith radio/phono (the dial glass has been removed to protect it - thus there is only one screw holding the escutcheon on):

BR,

Terry

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 5:10 pm 

Very well observed John

Gary

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 6:48 pm 

Do we know if most of these European Zeniths were originally shipped overseas and ultimately returned "home", or sold domestically when new?

I'll post chassis photos ASAP. Blessings. Frank in OKC

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 7:44 pm 

Frank Karner wrote:
Do we know if most of these European Zeniths were originally shipped overseas and ultimately returned "home", or sold domestically when new?

I'll post chassis photos ASAP. Blessings. Frank in OKC

I would say that as many of these as we find here in the US that many were probably sold and remained here in the US. However some of these like this one you have and that one Terry has and so also the one that Drew has were probably either built in Europe to start with or produced in the US and all of them shipped over? That would be another question for Martin Blankinship to answer?
I have a Zenith 10S130 Chassis tombstone that is the export version. But in that one somewhat like many others the dial is the same as the US radio and the only difference is the Power transformer has the pick your voltage socket. Just move the one pin in that socket to select your voltage anything from 100 volts to 250 volts. And they have the Phono Switch and the funny 2 pin socket for connection to "Phono" on the rear apron of the chassis.

Most interesting with these Zenith radios that either were documented to exist and in some cases no documentation that such models or modified models existed. Take the case of the Stratosphere 1000Z and the Junior Strats 16A61 / 63. Zenith documented that the 16 tube Junior Strats 500 US power supply chassis were built and 75 Export Power supply chassis were built. Where the 1000Z Stratosphere a total of 350 built with no documentation of any export versions. Yet THREE have been located to date. Martin has one. I rebuilt the one the Australian Kevin Tobin has and another surfaced some time back from a guy in Brazil. The Serial number on those three being the last three built. The one that Kevin has came from a guy in France who sold the radio to Alan Jesperson and eventually Alan sold it to Kevin. Dual Power transformers on those Amp/Supply chassis. One to run the radio chassis the other to run the Amp. Both multi tapped for most any voltage anyplace in the World.

John k9uwa

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 8:40 pm 

Since John mentioned his 10-S-130, I suppose I could mention my only export Zenith, but I'm not sure what market it was meant for as it does not have the longwave band.

The phonograph up top is made by General Electric Co. LTD also known as GECo in England. Maker of GECoPHONE radios.

I have no idea what model this is. I just call it my 10-S-153 Export. Same with John's 10-S-130, it only has a multi voltage power transformer with taps. I think it is chassis 1004A

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 25 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2  Next