Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 25, 2018 8:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Does anyone know what chassis's will work in a Walton?
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 7:58 pm 

Hello, I have a customers Walton cabinet that needs a replacement chassis and speaker. I believe that the some of the chassis's from the 38 consoles look like they would interchange as far as control positions ect. but I don't know about chassis height for the dial scale and width of the chassis. Being a matching numbers chassis isn't important.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kent.

Post subject: Re: Does anyone know what chassis's will work in a Walton?
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 9:28 pm 

The 12-tube model 1204 chassis would have been the "top of the line" for a Walton, and was close to the TOTL even for Zenith consoles in 1938. It would have been used with an 8 inch speaker, Zenith part number 49-183.

The 9-tube chassis. model 5905, would have been the next step down. It would have also used an 8-inch speaker but it would have had a 49-117 model due to the different field coil requirements of this chassis.

The above two chassis were once very common- although most were built into consoles. What with the boom in "Waltons" radio collector interest, many of these have been parted out in order to synthesize faux Walton sets.

Even so, finding a naked 12- or 9- tube chassis in good shape shouldn't be a big challenge- what you may find more difficult is locating the proper 8-inch speaker, especially one for the 12-tube chassis. You could probably adapt another Zenith 8-inch speaker, but it would take some fiddling with either series or shunt resistors in order to keep the field coil current in the ballpark.

There are other, lower-tube-count chassis from 1938 which would fit a "Waltons" cabinet... however, these have features (or, rather, the lack of them) which technically disqualify them as being "Waltons" sets. They are also comparatively harder to find than the 12- and 9-tube sets.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 10:32 pm 

Papa Kent - if you go to RadioMuseum and type zenith 232 into the simple search box, you will find all the variants of chassis that originally were used in that cabinet. There are 8 chassis: 1204, 5905, 5905AT, 5709, 5709AT, 5711, 5711AT, and 5804AT.

I believe Lorenz is correct that the 1204 and 5905 are the most common. The 5709 and 5711 (7S232 and 7J232 resp) were also domestic radios originally offered in the Waltons cabinet, although not as common. And all 4 of the AT variant chassis are all-wave export models that are very rarely seen in any cabinet.

The 8-inch speaker for the 12-tube model was a single-model, single-year speaker that was only used in the 12S232. It was undersized and is commonly found with open coils. Working ones cost $$$$. It's much easier to find a compatible speaker for the 9-tube chassis.

To see with radios had the 5905 chassis, go to RadioMuseum again, and type zenith 5905 into the simple search. :)

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 11:46 pm 

If you're trying to make the radio look as original as possible, you'd have to go with the 9-tube chassis used in the 9S232, as the speakers for the 12S232, 7S232, and 7J232 are unique to those radios and unlikely ever to be found. OTOH the 49-117 speaker used in the 9S232 was used in several other 1937 Zenith tombstones, so they do show up on eBay, though they're not cheap. It was also used in 1936, but those have a silver basket so they wouldn't look correct. (There is an 8-inch speaker that was used in one of the 1937 7-tube Zenith tombstones that is electrically identical to the one used in the 7S232 Walton, differing (I think) only in the length of the wires.)

Bob

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 4:04 pm 

lorenz200w wrote:
The 12-tube model 1204 chassis would have been the "top of the line" for a Walton, and was close to the TOTL even for Zenith consoles in 1938. It would have been used with an 8 inch speaker, Zenith part number 49-183.

The 9-tube chassis. model 5905, would have been the next step down. It would have also used an 8-inch speaker but it would have had a 49-117 model due to the different field coil requirements of this chassis.

The above two chassis were once very common- although most were built into consoles. What with the boom in "Waltons" radio collector interest, many of these have been parted out in order to synthesize faux Walton sets.

Even so, finding a naked 12- or 9- tube chassis in good shape shouldn't be a big challenge- what you may find more difficult is locating the proper 8-inch speaker, especially one for the 12-tube chassis. You could probably adapt another Zenith 8-inch speaker, but it would take some fiddling with either series or shunt resistors in order to keep the field coil current in the ballpark.

There are other, lower-tube-count chassis from 1938 which would fit a "Waltons" cabinet... however, these have features (or, rather, the lack of them) which technically disqualify them as being "Waltons" sets. They are also comparatively harder to find than the 12- and 9-tube sets.

Good morning Lorenz, Thank you for all of this helpful information. This one is a 7S232 so it will be nice to find one with the eye tube. Now I know which chassis an speaker combo's will work.
Thank you for all of your help.

Kent.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 4:07 pm 

palegreenthumb wrote:
Papa Kent - if you go to RadioMuseum and type zenith 232 into the simple search box, you will find all the variants of chassis that originally were used in that cabinet. There are 8 chassis: 1204, 5905, 5905AT, 5709, 5709AT, 5711, 5711AT, and 5804AT.

I believe Lorenz is correct that the 1204 and 5905 are the most common. The 5709 and 5711 (7S232 and 7J232 resp) were also domestic radios originally offered in the Waltons cabinet, although not as common. And all 4 of the AT variant chassis are all-wave export models that are very rarely seen in any cabinet.

The 8-inch speaker for the 12-tube model was a single-model, single-year speaker that was only used in the 12S232. It was undersized and is commonly found with open coils. Working ones cost $$$$. It's much easier to find a compatible speaker for the 9-tube chassis.

To see with radios had the 5905 chassis, go to RadioMuseum again, and type zenith 5905 into the simple search. :)

Hello Palegreenthumb, Thank you also for your input. I have never dealt with the Waltons so all of this input will put me where I need to be.

Thank you.

Kent.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 4:11 pm 

sofaslug wrote:
If you're trying to make the radio look as original as possible, you'd have to go with the 9-tube chassis used in the 9S232, as the speakers for the 12S232, 7S232, and 7J232 are unique to those radios and unlikely ever to be found. OTOH the 49-117 speaker used in the 9S232 was used in several other 1937 Zenith tombstones, so they do show up on eBay, though they're not cheap. It was also used in 1936, but those have a silver basket so they wouldn't look correct. (There is an 8-inch speaker that was used in one of the 1937 7-tube Zenith tombstones that is electrically identical to the one used in the 7S232 Walton, differing (I think) only in the length of the wires.)

Bob

Good morning Sofaslug,

That will also be very useful. I have the speaker for the 7J232 chassis at a Friends house and the cone is excellent though the speaker so far hasn't been tested so another question is would the speaker from the A/C/D.C. model work for any of these chassis's?

Thank you for your input.

Kent.