Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 18, 2018 12:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with Packard Bell/Teledyne stereo cabinet
PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 9:20 pm 

My Father-in-law passed away last month and in cleaning out his home, we found an old stereo cabinet. It's a Packard Bell/Teledyne solid state AM/FM radio with BSR turntable. I can't find any model number for the unit, but did find some labels/tags on some of the components. I haven't been able to find anything in my online searches about it. If anyone has some info on the model or age or possible worth of the unit, or could point me in the right direction that would be fantastic. I would hate for it to go to the dump if it could be of some value to someone. Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
image5.jpeg
image5.jpeg [ 19.84 KiB | Viewed 520 times ]
image6.jpeg
image6.jpeg [ 26.14 KiB | Viewed 520 times ]
image7.jpeg
image7.jpeg [ 20.57 KiB | Viewed 520 times ]
image4.jpeg
image4.jpeg [ 27.83 KiB | Viewed 520 times ]
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg [ 55.07 KiB | Viewed 520 times ]
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg [ 54.1 KiB | Viewed 520 times ]
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg [ 23.34 KiB | Viewed 520 times ]

Post subject: Re: Help with Packard Bell/Teledyne stereo cabinet
PostPosted: Mar Thu 15, 2018 12:14 am 

Not a very desirable unit, either as an entire unit or as parts. On a good day you might find someone to take it off your hands for $35. But it might take awhile.

Like Capehart and Fisher, Packard Bell was at one time a manufacturer of decent, if not very flashy, radios. The company had "jumped the shark" by the time Teledyne acquired rights to the name (1968). In the early 1970s, tacky Packard Bell consoles were staple items in the electronics departments of discount chain stores (as were the equally-debased Capehart products). I don't recall seeing the brand in stores after 1977 or so. Even by the low standards of the day, their lack of quality was glaring both inside and out.

This site gives a little more insight into the historical aspect of the company:
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company- ... c-history/

You should feel no guilt if it eventually turns out that you need to pay to have this hauled to the recyclers. Its loss will be mourned by no one, ever.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 15, 2018 9:57 am 

What a coincidence, I was working for Teledyne-PB in Honolulu when that was a current model (73~75). PB shortly abandoned TV manufacture, and the entire branch closed once those warranties expired. We also did warranty for Magnavox and Electrophonic. Do know that E'phonic was a lot more troublesome than PB in the console arena.

As above and discussed previously, even 'really-good' consoles haven't been all that hot on the market. Though like most everything, there's a rumor they're making a comeback (?). That one was fairly decent for what it was, satisfactory for non-discerning listening. Probably hold up too, long as yer teenagers didn't turn the bass and volume up all the way.

Good filler/entertainment in the garage if there's space. Starter set for someone without one. Goodwill might take it, but might not. Perhaps Habitat/ReNew, like that.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 15, 2018 1:15 pm 

Eric.R wrote:
I would hate for it to go to the dump if it could be of some value to someone. Thanks in advance.

The best way to guarantee that it won't wind up going to the dump is to offer it for free to anybody who's willing to haul it away. Placing an ad on Craigslist and/or the Facebook Marketplace should be the best way in getting the word out. Good luck in giving it away.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 15, 2018 11:30 pm 

Thanks for the replies and info. Guess Best course of action is to post it on Craigslist for free and see if anyone wants it and will come haul it away. If no takers after that....I'll probably pull out the components and hold on to em for a bit.....just in case....and pitch the carcass. Thanks again.