Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 20, 2018 3:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco 65 and H-10 speaker
PostPosted: Apr Wed 25, 2018 6:59 pm 

I know very little about either of these but have a chance to pick them up for $50. Anything particularly noteworthy about either of them? They look to be in pretty good condition and both “work”. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Philco 65 and H-10 speaker
PostPosted: Apr Wed 25, 2018 11:57 pm 

There were multiple versions of the Model 65: a metal tabletop cabinet, a lowboy, a highboy, a "Tudor Highboy" and a highboy deluxe. I'm not familiar with a speaker called an H-10, but there was an F-10 that was the companion to the metal Model 65.

If it's the metal version, it's all about the paint and physical condition. If the paint on both is original and in good condition and there is no rust or other damage/structural issues with the metal, $50 for the set isn't out of line. I'm not sure if there was any pot metal in these sets or not, as I've never worked on one, but this was the era when pot metal was king, particularly in tuners. Keep this in mind when examining the set.

PM me for my email address

Post subject: Re: Philco 65 and H-10 speaker
PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2018 12:07 am 

Thanks Tom. It is the tabletop version with the F-10 speaker. Not usually my type of radio but if it was something special I’d at least go take a look at it. Doesn’t sound like that’s the case so I think I’ll pass. Thanks for the information.