Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sun 21, 2018 9:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1965/66 Mustang AM/FM Car Radio
PostPosted: Mar Fri 11, 2005 9:07 pm 

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate formum to bring this topic up but I was wondering if anyone knew any information regarding these radios. I cannot seem to find much on the internet, other than they were a relatively rare option during those years (available as a over the counter option late in the 65 production year and as a factory option for 1966). The radio was built by the Bendix Corporation for Ford and reproductions were built in 1986 with the help of Panasonic. Any further information or web sources would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!<P>------------------<BR>1stGenMustanger

PostPosted: Mar Sat 12, 2005 1:02 am 

All I could find was this repro page:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/~djhamma/radios/m870656.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/~djhamma/radios/m870656.htm</A> <P>I've got an AM from a '65, but that's no help.<P>Richard<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Sat 12, 2005 2:03 am 

Your best bet is at a "swap meet" devoted to autos. Be prepared to spend much money. They are rare. I believe the 65's and 66's are interchangeble.<BR>Regards. Howard<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Sat 12, 2005 4:35 am 

The radio should have part # C6ZZ-18805-BA if it is a Mustang radio.The # on the chassis may be different if it is an engineering #.Send me a picture if you can and I'll let you know if its a real one.I'm a Mustang club of America Gold card judge for 65-66 Mustangs and currently show 2 low mialage 65 mustangs.mgmradio@worldnet.att.net<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Sat 12, 2005 4:40 am 

Shaggy <P>This was a limited production radio built for Ford. Not too may around. I did a restoration of one of these last year for one of the upper echelon of the Ford Motor Company. I had to fabricate a new dial glass for it which include concaving the plastic Lens and milling out the slot for the AM-FM slide bar. As it uses Clear, Black and White for lettering, that had to be done in three processes. Good luck in finding one, they are a rare bird. <P>Ralph/K2IPE<BR>Mountain Vintage Radio <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Sat 12, 2005 4:54 am 

Not about the radio, but a cute story, nonetheless.It came to me from a friend in GM styling.<P> Back about 1959, the guys in GM styling would get their heads together and they are always sketching something, at lunch time, break time....any time. They worked out a little Ferrari-nspired personal car that they thought was sort of cute, and that might be a possibility. They showed it to the boss (studio chief?) and he told them to quit wasting their time with hare-brained ideas like that. They'd never build anything like it, so get back to work and forget about such garbage. <P>In the summer of 1964, Ford Motor Company brought out a cute little Ferrari-inspired personal car that caught on like wildfire. We'd see trainloads of those cars leaving Dearborn, and you had to wait several months for the dealer to have one for you. Ford called it: Mustang. GM was caught with their pants down, and never got them back up again until 1968. <P>Corporate foresight scored once again!<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Sun 13, 2005 1:02 am 

HuggyBear wrote:
<font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by doug houston:<BR><B>Not about the radio, but a cute story, nonetheless.It came to me from a friend in GM styling.<P>In the summer of 1964, Ford Motor Company brought out a cute little Ferrari-inspired personal car that caught on like wildfire. We'd see trainloads of those cars leaving Dearborn, and you had to wait several months for the dealer to have one for you. Ford called it: Mustang. GM was caught with their pants down, and never got them back up again until 1968. <P></B><HR>
<P>I don't know if you've been to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, but they have on display the concept car that debuted at the 1962 Auto Show. Looked a lot like the production Mustangs, but only about 2/3 the size. Apparently it was a big hit. Plymouth came out with the Baracuda in 65, and car history was changed forever.<P>There are three kinds of people in the world:<BR>Those who make things happen<BR>Those who watch things happen<BR>And those who wonder what happened.<P>------------------<BR>It's not just a radio, it's history you can use!

PostPosted: Mar Mon 14, 2005 6:56 pm 

Interestingly enough, the Barracuda beat the Mustang to market by about 3 weeks. <P>Fords was based on a falcon chassis and plymouths was based on a valiant chassis. Even though the styling was fresh, the mechanicals were tried and true. <P>Didn't know there were Mustang guys here. I have a 1969 fastback that is far from concourse, but it is built for speed. That hobby makes radios look downright cheap!<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Tue 15, 2005 8:52 am 

HuggyBear wrote:
<font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Max Power:<BR><B>Didn't know there were Mustang guys here. I have a 1969 fastback that is far from concourse, but it is built for speed. That hobby makes radios look downright cheap!<P></B><HR>
<P>My brother just got done restoring a 1971 convertable. Really nice - and also pretty rare. I think the 71-73 Mustangs had to be about the worst cars for rust I've ever seen, I bet that most that have disapeared were because of rust..<BR><P>------------------<BR>It's not just a radio, it's history you can use!

PostPosted: Mar Tue 15, 2005 7:03 pm 

They also deviated form the original Mustang styling, and therefore were seen as more disposable. There was a high percentage of 73 convertables saved, as Ford indicated that they would be the last convertables ever made as Mustangs, and people collected them.<P>Of course, they came out with one again a little over ten years later.<P><BR>I have owned over a half dozen over the years, the most raucus being a 69 Mach I with a 428CJ and 4-speed. Sellers remorse. It's worth over 50k now....<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Wed 16, 2005 9:14 am 

I have a '66 Mustang convertible, 4 speed 4 bbl 289 engine - a fun and reliable "good weather driver". I never could find a factory am-fm for it, had to settle for an aftermarket unit. Due to the shaft/dial relationship, no other Ford radio will fit.<BR>David<P>------------------<BR>

Post subject: Re: 1965/66 Mustang AM/FM Car Radio
PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 4:23 am 

I have a 70 Mach 1 and looing for a lead on the AM/FM faceplate for the radio. The correct one has the word "Mustang" in larger letters on it.

Post subject: Re: 1965/66 Mustang AM/FM Car Radio
PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 5:18 am 

philipswanson wrote:
I have a 70 Mach 1 and looking for a lead on the AM/FM faceplate for the radio. The correct one has the word "Mustang" in larger letters on it.
Good luck, but you got the right idea, put out feelers everywhere.

There is a picture of that faceplate on the site below, scroll down thru the Mustangs to 1970.

https://sites.google.com/site/identifyi ... s-1/ford-2

The above-mentioned 65 AM/FM is pictured as well.