Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 21, 2017 8:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Silvertone Help
PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2007 1:35 pm 

I just got done soldering in all the replacement caps and a few resistors(the ones that were bubbled and black) for my silvertone 4464 last night. So I turned it on and presto all the tubes light up, dial lights up, no shorts and nothing is burning. So I was very happy! Until I turned the selector switch to Am and started to turn the dial and nothing. I get no sound sound static or anything out of the speaker. I do get some crackling when i touch the volume control and tone control. I noticed that when I was checking my connections that one of the tubes, 6H6G, where the wire connects to the metal stud on top of it wobbles bad. So I removed the wire and the stud moves around alot in the glass. So any ideas on what is causing me to have no sound?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2007 2:17 pm 

The 6H6 doesn't have a top cap so must mean another tube. If the glass seal is broken at the top then air will get in and ruin the tube. If the wire has just come loose it can be resoldered on. You can check the audio stages by touching a long wire probe to the center lug on the volume control, you should hear a loud hum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2007 3:59 pm 

Thanks, Sorry it must be the 6f5g then ( hope i got the right this time :oops: )