Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Mon 20, 2018 11:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Western Auto Model 268
PostPosted: Mar Sat 01, 2008 4:40 am 

I recently acquired a WA 268 radio. It is the same as a Gilfillan Model 66-S. It has 2 bands - AM and S/W from 6-18 Mc. The AM band is extremely noisy with squeals and occasional motorboating between stations. It is very difficult to get right on the center of a station. (There is a tuning eye that seems to function.) I live in Columbus, OH with plenty of stations! The connection to an external antenna is very, very touchy in terms of length and capacitance (touching). S/W does not pick up a thing across the entire band. It is just static and "white noise". I am attaching a 50' long wire. I would think that something would come in. Any ideas as to what I should try in troubleshooting? Could it be a tube or connection? Please comment. Thanks so much for your time and attention. Dennis Shreve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 01, 2008 6:26 am 

That sounds like an open bypass capacitor, when those go a set will squeal, motorboat, and all kinds of things. To function properly most any old radio will need all of the paper capacitors replaced, plus any resistors that have drifted off value changed. If both of these have been carried out already I would say that it could be a weak tube or an allignment issue.
Best Regards
Arran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Mon 03, 2008 1:01 pm 

Thanks. All capacitor and resistor components have been changed out. I will test the tubes. People are pointing to the 6K8.