Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 19, 2018 2:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hartman radios - looking for info
PostPosted: Mar Sat 29, 2008 9:28 am 

I'm looking for any available information on Hartman radios. These radios were built by the Hartman Electrical Manufacturing Co., in Mansfield, Ohio. The few references I've found indicate that they were made from around 1924 to 1928. I have two of the radios in my collection, but have found very little published information. Does anyone else have one of these radios? Do you have any catalogs or print ads?

Thanks!
Art Lebermann
W6REQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 29, 2008 12:22 pm 

I have a Hartman 16 ?
It is a small to medium size battery set with an internal horn speaker. It uses 5 UV-199's, has 2 "crank" type dial pointers like the Radiola III's tuning, and has space for internal dry cells.

What 2 do you have ?
I had a brief contact with someone from hartman in the late 80's , but never got any worth while info.

-Joe W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 29, 2008 4:13 pm 

Here is a link to an Ebay auction that just ended featuring some nice Hartman sales literature. Maybe you could email the seller or winner to see if they would make some copies for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/original-sales-broc ... otohosting

Michael Feldt
www.indianaradios.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 30, 2008 1:42 am 

grid-leak wrote:
I have a Hartman 16 ?
It is a small to medium size battery set with an internal horn speaker. It uses 5 UV-199's, has 2 "crank" type dial pointers like the Radiola III's tuning, and has space for internal dry cells.

What 2 do you have ?
I had a brief contact with someone from hartman in the late 80's , but never got any worth while info.

-Joe W

Joe - I have a model B-3, and what may be a Hartman "Compavt". Contact me directly by e-mail and I can send you photos, and additional info. ART

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 30, 2008 1:51 am 

Michael - Thanks for the tip on the eBay auction for Hartman literature. I'm one step ahead of you. I was the winning bidder for that material, and have now received it. If anyone would like copies, please let me know. The catalog listing is a large sheet, which will not fit on my scanner. I can have a copy made, and send it via Snail-Mail. ART

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 30, 2008 3:47 am 

radioart wrote:
Michael - Thanks for the tip on the eBay auction for Hartman literature. I'm one step ahead of you. I was the winning bidder for that material, and have now received it. ART

Of course, your ID is right there on the auction page, winning bidder radioarts, I should have paid closer attention. Congratulations on the purchase and good luck on your quest for more information.

I do have one suggestion, call or email the Mansfield City Library and ask for someone in periodicals to look up the Hartman Electrical Manufacturing Co. in the old city directories. Usually it will list the exact address, the names of the president, secretary, treasurer, etc. Do this for every year that Hartman was in existence. From there you can trace out any living decedents of these people and possibly get further information and photos of the original upper management. Also go to the Ohio State Library where they keep all articles of incorporation and any other corporate papers concerning the Hartman Electrical Manufacturing Co. They should have a big file on Hartman. I've done this with various radio manufacturers of Indiana with great success. At the Indiana State Library, they had files on just about 95% of all Indiana radio manufacturers of the 1920s, even the little fly by night manufacturers.

Michael Feldt
www.indianaradios.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 30, 2008 5:49 am 

Art:

I've sent you an E-Mail requesting copies of your Hartman literature. I too count myself as one of the fortunate folks owning one of these unusual receivers. The sets are also of additional interest to me because I lived for a time (some years ago) in
that part of Ohio.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update~Add:

Art:
For reasons unknown, my E-Mail to you was returned. Could you E-Mail me so that I can supply my shipping address, and make arrangements to pay you for copies of the Hartman literature?

DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 30, 2008 1:03 pm 

Dale Davenport wrote:
Art:

Update~Add:

Art:
For reasons unknown, my E-Mail to you was returned. Could you E-Mail me so that I can supply my shipping address, and make arrangements to pay you for copies of the Hartman literature?

DD

Dale - For some reason, my ISP (Earthlink) flagged the notifications of replies to my Forum posting as spam. I did receive an e-mail message from you, and will reply directly. Thanks for the follow-up! ART

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 30, 2008 5:17 pm 

Hartman was a maker of motors and controllers who decided to add radio to their business in 1925. The first year they offered 2 chassis and 5 cabinets for a total of 10 models. All used 199 tubes.

In 1926, they offered only 1 chassis and 3 cabinets. The chassis could be had in 199 or 01A tube types.

In 1927, they continued the single chassis, 4 cabinet offering, but dropped the 199 option.

Apparently sales were so poor by then, that they quit radio rather than go to the expense of an AC design. They continued their core business and still exist today making linear actuators and motor controls.

At some point they became a division of Figgie Industries, but retained the Hartman name.

They also made speakers, variocouplers, loop antennas and variable caps during their radio years. Their pedestal speaker is highly collectible. It stands about 4' high. It is a straight vertical horn with a sound distributor at the top - very impressive. All I have seen use a Utah driver in the base.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 30, 2008 7:24 pm 

Thanks to all of you who have provided suggestions and information, in reply to my posting. As Michael advised, I did try several sources in Ohio for background info on the Hartman company. I did this research in 2005, and finally got a lead through the Richland County Genealogical Society. With their help, I was able to contact Bill Hartman, the grandson of Rudolph W. Hartman - president of Hartman Electrical Mfg. Co. Rudolph's brother, Frank Hartman, was the company Chief Engineer.

Frank had prepared a 4-page history of the company, and sent me a copy. As you now know, radios were only a small part of the Hartman product line, and the company still exists today - making electrical power controls.

Bill Hartman knew very little about the radios that were produced, so I have continued my search for more information. I now have two Hartman radios, and a Hartman loop antenna, in my collection. My most recent "find" is a Model B-3, in a table-top cabinet.

The first Hartman radio I found is the most interesting - and puzzling. It is in a small wood cabinet, about 16" wide, 8" high, and 6" deep. It has one tuning dial. and three other controls. The tbe line up suggests operation from an AC supply. It's a TRF set. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd RF stages are type 26 tubes. The detector is a type 56 (should originally been a type 27?) and the audio output is a type 71A. The quality of constuction is amazing, using a cast aluminum frame. The radio has a Hartman ID plate on the back, but no model number. I'm guessing that this may be a Hartman "Compact", but I've never seen a photo or other specific reference to confirm.

I'll be glad to supply photos, and a copy of the Hartman history, to anyone who may be interested. Please contact me directly by e-mail. If anyone has more information to share, I would be very interested. The search continues!

Art Lebermann
W6REQ
artleb@earthlink.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 30, 2008 7:27 pm 

OOPS - Correction!

I my previous post, I said that i got the Harman history from Frank. I should have said that it came from BILL HARTMAN.

Art Lebermann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Mon 31, 2008 3:06 am 

Hi Art:

I would like to receive a copy of what you have on Hartman. Some years ago I wrote the company asking if they had any archive material on the radio venture. There was none.

As you say, radio was just a sideline for them which they could abandon when no longer profitable without affecting the core business.

Post subject: Re: Hartman radios - looking for info
PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 5:23 pm 

Mansfield Ohio Radio Manufactures
I am the Curator of the Mansfield Memorial Museum and we are trying to rebuild the history of radio
manufacturing in Mansfield. There were 4 companies that made radios from 1921 - 1928. The 4
companies were Hartman Electric, Richland Radio MFG, Wagner Hardware and Martin Hardware.
Of the four the most prolific was the Hartman Radios. The Hartman factory burned to the ground in
1944 destroying any archives of the company. It is very sketchy on the histories of the other
3. The shortest manufacturing was that of the Richland Radio Mfg, they lasted less that a year.
But had several expositions of their radios here in Mansfield. How many radios were manufactured
by Martin Hardware and Wagner Hardware is unclear. I have one Wagner radio Model 101 S serial
number 357. We have no examples of a Martin Hardware radios as of today. The Hartman radio that
we have is a model Compact metal front no chassis serial number 10964. Any information to help
reconstruct these histories would be gratefully appreciated. If anyone has copies of material related
to any of these companies we would like to get copies to ad to our archives to preserve for future
generations.
Scott Schaut/Curator Mansfield Memorial Museum

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 10:44 pm 

Hi Scott,
Here is the oldest Hartman Electric advertisement I have seen. From the December, 1922 Electrical Record magazine on page 135.
Alan

Attachment:
USA_HartmanElectric_Dec 1922 Electrical Record page 135 arf.jpg
USA_HartmanElectric_Dec 1922 Electrical Record page 135 arf.jpg [ 155.16 KiB | Viewed 1169 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 1:23 am 

It seems Hartman was a bit ahead of the time with TRF designs when in 1922/23 Regenerative sets were the norm.

The only Hartman radio I'm familiar with belonged to a friend of mine who passed away in 1991.
His widow kept it as her maiden name was Hartman.

She moved away and I've no idea where she is.

The radio had a heart shaped area around the dial. It was a TRF battery set but a single dial design.
I can't remember much of what it looked like other than it was a floor model... as this was back in the late 80s.

-Steve

EDIT: This is what the face looked like. I do remember that crazy tuning cap! Wow, its been a while.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/hartman_compact.html

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 2:24 am 

That is the Hartman Radio I have.
Thanks
Scott

PostPosted: Jan Wed 10, 2018 9:03 pm 

Does anyone have a Hartman Radio Victrola Console? They seem to have
been made only in 1924. Does anyone have a paper material related to
the Hartman Electric Radios. I am the Curator of the Mansfield Memorial
Museum in Mansfield Ohio and we would like to add any copies for our
archives. Also we have a Wagner Radio made in Mansfield it was suggested
that it might be a Hartman radio. It was made in 1927 at the end of Hartman
production. I did find an article that the Wagner Hardware Co. did have a
contract with Arborphone. Thanks Scott
419-525-2491

PostPosted: Jan Thu 11, 2018 12:48 am 

Do you have any info on these -also from Mansfield?

Attachments:
!.JPG
!.JPG [ 56.05 KiB | Viewed 818 times ]
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 58.97 KiB | Viewed 818 times ]
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 60.5 KiB | Viewed 818 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Thu 11, 2018 2:40 am 

Hello,
This is the first one of this company I have seen.
The company was short lived and the information that
I have found so far is the following. The first advertisments
of the American Radio Sales and Service Co started in the
summer of 1921 and the last that I have found so far is
the late spring of 1922. I am sure that I will find that they
started the business at least a year or two earlier.
Great Radio. They made a lot of radio parts that they sold
as individual parts.
If you ever need a tax right off we are a 501-C3 and would
love to preserve it.
Thanks for the pics.
Scott Schaut/Curator Mansfield Memorial Museum
419-525-2491