Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Sun 26, 2017 1:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Speaker recone by Mark Pictures re-added
PostPosted: Apr Fri 22, 2011 7:54 pm 

This is from Mark and his comments. Nice approach to recone, he like many has not quite mastered the posting of pictures. This came by e-mail from him. Jerry

Ok attached are some pix of Philco speaker I made a cone for recently. Note I made some mock ups first, then test fit it since I am NOT an artist. A little refinement and it fit under the voice coil and up to the surround... I did it a little at a time. When done, it played like new.
Materials... X-Acto knife, glue (rubber cement mainly), electrical tape (to temporarily hold stuff in place), manilla business envelope paper and scissors. Oh, and about 70 minutes of time.
Mark Oppat
Antique Audio
253 Blanche St
Plymouth, M

Hope I did you right on this Mark, thanks for sharing. Sorry, when reposted, they are slightl out of order!

Jerry

Last edited by JerryHawthorne on Nov Mon 07, 2011 7:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 22, 2011 9:54 pm 

Photos don't appear. You're linking to your album rather than directly to the image. Use the "IMG code" for each individual image. When posting use the "Preview" button to test it before submitting it.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 23, 2011 12:25 am 

Sorry Larry, but when I pull it up, all pictures are there. Don't understand why you don't see them. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 23, 2011 2:02 am 

Nope - no pictures when I look at the post. Just photobucket icons that say "the image or video has been moved or deleted"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 23, 2011 2:10 am 
Silent Key

JerryHawthorne wrote:
Sorry Larry, but when I pull it up, all pictures are there. Don't understand why you don't see them. :lol:
No pictures here either. Send them to my email and I will try to post for you.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 23, 2011 2:47 am 

Hey Jerry,
I can't see them either. Your computer must have some magic dust that makes them visible.

Mark
:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 23, 2011 2:50 am 

Pictures were there before but not now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 23, 2011 5:34 am 

Not surprising. I just went to an old thread in response to another post and ran into the same problem with photobucket, yet I know the album is still there since it is mine. I had so much trouble trying to upload about a week ago that I moved my account to another photo hosting site for future use. I have not been there long enough yet to make a recommendation on their reliability, but my further use of photobucket will depend on their getting their act together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 23, 2011 6:13 am 

Really sorry, I viewed the pics a couple of times and poof, gone. They were moved in as img pictures. Unfortunately, I have deleted the originals. Perhaps if Mark sends them again I can give it another shot.
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 23, 2011 7:16 pm 

They are up now and I saved them for future reference. Thanks for the info. Looks straightforward enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sat 23, 2011 10:47 pm 

All better! :D

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sun 24, 2011 2:16 am 

It would be better to take the cone from a PM speaker i think .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sun 24, 2011 8:26 am 

I have done as Ken says... Used the cone from a surplus Philips PM speaker and it worked fine. Looked very neat as well.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Sun 24, 2011 6:51 pm 

you often can not use another cone... due to the pitch (depth) of each speaker being different... its very hard to do. My method will always work on any vintage radio speaker that has an intact spider and voice coil and some area of scrap flange at the voice coil to bond to. Also, really helps if there is some surround left as there was in this case, I was able to re-use it. Otherwise you have to make one with chamois or similar material.

Mark Oppat

Post subject: Re: Speaker recone by Mark Pictures re-added
PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2011 2:52 pm 

I was just reading the hint and kinks of reconing a speaker, but pictures are not there . Can anyone show me them as I have one I am going to do for a Templeton.It is 14'' across.
Thanks
Bruce

PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2011 5:54 pm 

Bruce, looks like the pics went poof again. TexMac indicates he saved them also you could e-mail Mark and see if he could forward to you. Sorry, after posting I failed to save them.

Jerry

PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2011 6:49 pm 

Bruce,
I did save Mark's photos and comments in a rtf file. I also have a Foxlingo translation of a similar article with good photos and a calculation of cone shape that I got from http://www.leradiodisophie.it . I could not connect to the article, but the site still exists, so you might be able to track it down. Alternatively, I could maybe convert what I have to a pdf and get it to you. Send me your e-mail address if interested.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 08, 2011 7:15 am 

If you look at the finished cone carefully, you will note I cut the abutting edges of the two "halfs" (they are each more than half) so they interlocked. Made it easier to join and glue up.

The main criteria for any such repair is that the voice coil and spider are in good shape and secured (in this case it was an excellent internal spider with center screw) and that you either have a salvageable surround or can make such. Note the original speaker cone was in tatters but enough of the surround was still there to save lots of time from making a new one (if I had to, I use a chamois like cloth or used dryer sheets coated with a flexible cement).

Also, I could have sprayed my envelope material with flat black spray paint to darken it. Also there are some recycled paper business envelopes I used to see that were a grey-greenish color but I dont see them around anymore.

This type of repair is do-able for most anyone using simple cheap materials in the home.
Dont worry about appearances... the worst looking cones can sound just fine. NEVER, EVER discard an original salvageable electro-dynamic ("ED") speaker! They are used in part of the radio's power supply and usually have the output transformer (OPT) mounted on them as well. In a console, you can sometimes mount a damaged ED speaker off to the side and put a newer PM speaker on the soundboard. Just tie the voice coil (VC) wires over to the old one and unhook one of the old VC wires from the OPT.

Hope this is of help.

Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Nov Tue 08, 2011 7:57 am 

For such a great repair, this is the most snake-bit thread on the forum. These are not the best photos. I think I reduced the size for my rtf file, but they should stick with the thread this way.

Sorry, but they are in reverse order according to my preview. I'm on a very slow dial-up, so they will just have to be this way, rather than delete and reload.

Attachments:
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg [ 73.89 KiB | Viewed 7153 times ]
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg [ 59.83 KiB | Viewed 7153 times ]
Clipboard03.jpg
Clipboard03.jpg [ 63.17 KiB | Viewed 7153 times ]
Clipboard04.jpg
Clipboard04.jpg [ 68.25 KiB | Viewed 7153 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Tue 08, 2011 10:58 pm 

Very odd. I see both the originals and Ron's reposted pics. Great tip, Mark. Thanks for sharing.

-.-. --- .-.. -.. / ---.. ----- --...

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 43 posts ]  Moderator: Chuck Schwark Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next