Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Wed 24, 2017 10:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Speaker recone by Mark Pictures re-added
PostPosted: Jan Sun 22, 2012 5:46 pm 

Nice job!:)-Gearhead

PostPosted: Feb Sun 26, 2012 7:07 am 

Hi Mark,
Very good. Could you expand on what would make an acceptable surround, if you get a chance?
On one speaker I would like to return to service, the cone is perfectly intact. The surround has deteriorated
completely..

PostPosted: Feb Mon 27, 2012 12:05 am 

If you have a modern stereo speaker with rotted foam surround, order a new one from any of the many kits available on line. Just google "foam surround kit" and the word Speaker and they will show up. Usually about $20 for a pair and all the stuff you need.

If its an earlier radio speaker, you can also use those foam surrounds or you can make your own by using chamois type cloth available at auto stores or general variety stores. I think a durable cloth like bed sheet would do as well.

Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Feb Mon 27, 2012 9:00 am 

Thanks! They are modern speakers only 38 years old.
There is a tutorial on Parts-Ex website.
Thanks again for bringing it up.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 12, 2016 3:57 am 

Bumping this up as I keep getting inquiries as to how to repair speakers. See the top of this thread to see my method. Its CHEAP, and it WORKS GREAT.

Mark Oppat
oldradioparts
Plymouth, MI

PostPosted: Sep Thu 29, 2016 9:37 pm 

Love this technique Mark! I hope to try it soon! I'm tired of sending speakers away to be reconed for $40-50 plus shipping on radios that aren't worth a whole lot more.

Mark K8KZ

PostPosted: Sep Thu 29, 2016 11:53 pm 

markmoke wrote:
Love this technique Mark! I hope to try it soon! I'm tired of sending speakers away to be reconed for $40-50 plus shipping on radios that aren't worth a whole lot more.

Mark K8KZ

yep... speakers are really simple pistons. Nothing magical except the voice coil and cones must be totally intact and the coil should not rub when it travels into the magnet or field coil.
THey can look UGLY and work PERFECTLY.
Its always distressing to me to get or see requests for speakers for radios. I always ask the seeker WHY they need a new speaker. "Because it has a hole in the cone" is the usual answer ! SAD that so many original speakers have been needlessly reconed or discarded due to this situation.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Oct Tue 11, 2016 11:24 pm 

Has any one tried these? Might be a stupid question but how do you attach the cone wires?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361512717906?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Stan Ski

PostPosted: Oct Wed 12, 2016 12:10 am 

Some speaker installations won't allow for the "bubble" that a foam surround has. The surround bulge will hit the inside of the speaker baffle and make noise. diameter of the voice coil is important if there is nothing left of the original cone. Most "vintage" small diameter speakers have a 1/2-5/8" diameter voice coil. A large voice coil opening cone can work if there is material left of the old cone to make up for the difference in diameter. The old cone bridges the gap. Small diameter replacement cones with a paper surrounds are getting hard to find. I have found paper surrounds for the larger 8-12" size on ebay. Speaker with a leather or flat cloth surround must use a foam surround or a hand-made leather/cloth flat surround. This is because the landing area for the surround on the speaker frame does not abruptly fall away to allow for the pleats of a pleated surround. End result the speaker will make strange noises on bass notes. A foam surround will only work if the speaker is pedestal mounted to the floor of the cabinet and a thick felt gasket used on the surround face to space the speaker away from the baffle.

Chas

PostPosted: Oct Wed 12, 2016 3:13 pm 

Chas wrote:
Some speaker installations won't allow for the "bubble" that a foam surround has.

Chas

reverse the surround. bubble inwards, that's how my fisher speakers are.
Attachment:
speaker.jpg
speaker.jpg [ 111.46 KiB | Viewed 1213 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Wed 12, 2016 3:36 pm 

Stan Ski wrote:
Has any one tried these? Might be a stupid question but how do you attach the cone wires?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361512717906?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Stan Ski

Stan,

I haven't tried this technique yet, but I am thinking that you are attaching the replacement cone to the voice coil and spider that are already in place. So you wouldn't be disconnecting any wires.

Mark Oppat or anyone else. Is that correct?

Mark K8KZ

PostPosted: Oct Wed 12, 2016 3:58 pm 

Yes , with the Philco speaker I made a cone for at the top of this post, the voice coil and spider were intact so I didnt have to do any wiring. You will find in most badly damaged cones you can preserve the inner diameter of the cone and bond onto that with the business envelope paper like I did. The trickiest part usually is the surround, and you can make that with dryer sheet material or chamois cloth or, if you can find the right diameter stock, the preformed surrounds. The problem with the preformed surrounds is they are too flexible and need to be stiffened as radios are open back cabinets, not sealed cabinets like those surrounds are designed for. I suppose you can coat the foam surrounds with some stiffening agent... I have never used a foam surround on a vintage radio speaker.
Mark Oppat
Antique Audio
Plymouth, MI

PostPosted: Oct Wed 12, 2016 11:52 pm 

Great timing on the reopening of this thread . I just pulled the chassis on a customers RCA 18 T and the speaker is really trashed . Lots of masking tape and glue all over it. Good thing is that the radio does operate but of course you can,t turn up the volume much before the speaker starts to rattle. I ordered the speaker cones ( Only $13.00 for two ) from the site i mentioned plus i have a few 6 inch PM speakers around here. So we shall see what happens
Stan Ski

PostPosted: Dec Thu 08, 2016 1:31 pm 

ok, I might try this on my Crosley speaker. why rubber cement? where do you get rubber cement?

ok, I found rubber cement at Target after visiting 2 hardware stores. I got some black poster board for this instead of manilla envelope. It has same look and texture as a speaker cone in my opinion. It will be a while before I tackle this.

Last edited by roguethistle on Dec Sat 10, 2016 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 08, 2016 6:27 pm 

roguethistle wrote:
ok, I might try this on my Crosley speaker. why rubber cement? where do you get rubber cement?

Besides Elmers white glue its probably THE most common cement found in the USA ! On the shelf right next to the whte glue. in the little brown jar with orange label. Used for 90% of craft projects involving paper. comes with brush in the cap.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Dec Thu 08, 2016 8:39 pm 

Flinx wrote:
Chas wrote:
Some speaker installations won't allow for the "bubble" that a foam surround has. Chas
Reverse the surround. bubble inwards, that's how my fisher speakers are.
Some speaker frames do not have the clearance to even reverse the foam surround "bubble".
A pleated surround for the cone is the only answer, those are hard to find in the small diameters and small voice coil sizes...

I would re-cone 4" and up vintage speakers but there is no source for pleated cones to fit...

PostPosted: Dec Thu 08, 2016 10:13 pm 

Here are 3 pictures of my reconing job. First is what the speaker looked like originally. Second is all the bad parts cut out and third is the new cone installed. On the third picture it was not glued in yet. I used Weldwood contact cement. After gluing it in and letting it set for a few day i tried it. Sounds great and it is a foam edge type speaker.
Stan Ski

PostPosted: Dec Thu 08, 2016 10:19 pm 

That is a nice job Stan

PostPosted: Dec Thu 08, 2016 11:26 pm 

Stan,

Will that bulgy foam surround hit the inside of the cabinet? If it does, the tone will be "mushy".

Chas

PostPosted: Dec Thu 08, 2016 11:41 pm 

oldradioparts wrote:
...I have never used a foam surround on a vintage radio speaker.
Mark Oppat
Antique Audio
Plymouth, MI
I have, BUT, it is a pedestal mounted speaker that I could move back in the highboy cabinet and remount. I added a band of thick, dense felt strip to the landing zone of the speaker to act as a spacer and sound proof gasket so sound would not short-circuit to rear of speaker.

Attachments:
File comment: Farrand Speaker re-coned... From Zenith 54
MVC-541F.JPG
MVC-541F.JPG [ 94.76 KiB | Viewed 847 times ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 43 posts ]  Moderator: Chuck Schwark Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next