Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 25, 2018 3:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Electrician's scissors at Lowe's
PostPosted: Oct Fri 04, 2013 6:48 pm 

While browsing my local Lowe's yesterday, I noticed they have a new product line in their electrical dept. called Southwire. There are cutters, strippers, multimeters, etc. I found this product for $15,
http://www.lowes.com/pd_471906-295-5828 ... facetInfo= .
The package actually says "Electrician's Scissors", the website calls them "blade scissors." Item # ES001. The package claims it will cut electrical communication wire, cable, and cordage. I figured maybe this would be a good tool to cut small wires on old caps, etc., and be able to fit into tight places. I bought a pair, and it does pretty good at cutting small wires, and fitting into close quarters. I'm working on a small Zenith AM/ FM, and it did a good job at getting into a couple tight places in the chassis to cut out a couple of resistors. This might be a new wire cutting tool option for restorers who need to get into small places.

Post subject: Re: Electrician's scissors at Lowe's
PostPosted: Oct Sat 05, 2013 8:42 am 

Good find!
I use tree limb trimmers for cable.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 06, 2013 10:21 am 

These are very popular in the telecom trade. A lot of I&R and cable splicers carry them.

I have a few pairs made by Klein Tools. Strong as Kryptonite. It's the pair you want for rock/paper/scissors. :D

PostPosted: Oct Tue 08, 2013 5:44 pm 

yes sir very handy tool. of course you have to have you Kleins in the trade or you wont look right
I have never used the slots on top of the blade to strip wire. always in the fork between the blades

PostPosted: Oct Mon 21, 2013 1:16 am 

Yup, a primary tool for outside telecom repair, at least for AT&T techs. They are strong enough to cut a penny in half; if made by Klein.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 21, 2013 12:46 pm 

inside telecom as well. migrated to network IT services. I am the only one who uses them in our shop

PostPosted: Oct Thu 24, 2013 4:01 pm 

I have a pair that i use quite a bit similar, but made by Klein and came with a cable splicers knife as well. However for transistor and small work I tend to use a pair of toenail clippers and for even smaller areas, baby nail clippers.

These give you nice clean cuts in small spaces with little leverage.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 10, 2013 8:49 pm 

Many decades ago, when I had just started to tinker with electricity, I read about making a stripping notch in the cutting edge of a pair of scissors (maybe in Popular Electronics), and I did not have any other wire stripper. I used a little triangular file that I had used for cutting chemistry set glass tubes and carefully made a very neat V-notch in the edge of one blade.
No, I did not get in trouble with Mom, they were my scissors for whatever.

I was proud of my little accomplishment, and that I had worked neatly and carefully to get a good result.

It was not long before I stripped a piece of lamp cord without unplugging it.
Now, there were two notches side by side in the scissors blade, and the second one had not taken any time at all to make, or maybe 8 milliseconds, just long enough for a flash and a bang and for the lights to go out.
That house I grew up in only had two fuses, one for each leg of the 120/240 supply.
It had become my job to replace the fuse, whenever I blew one, ever since I was tall enough to reach the box and screw in a new one.

Well at least I never did that to my Klein Wireman's Scissors.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2013 10:11 pm 

Been looking for a pair of these. Picked up the last pair at my local Lowes for $12.98. The on line listing says they aren't going to be available anymore on-line. I don't know about the stores but if you want and see a pair you better grab them.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 24, 2013 4:28 am 

More properly referred to as "snips" by cable splicers. I have used these for over 35 years! Although these can be branded as Klein tools, they are actually made by Wiss. Most folks don't know but the groves on the sides of the blades are files, great for touching up your fingernails!

Mike G.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 24, 2013 2:30 pm 

snips yep

PostPosted: Jan Fri 03, 2014 5:38 am 

I have had a pair forever! At work we use them for cutting CAT5 and CAT6, and I use them when putting connectors on coax. They do a good job when it comes to trimming up shielding. When it comes to working on old radios I leave them in the tool box unless I need them to cut dial cord or when lacing a group of wires together.

David

PostPosted: Jan Fri 03, 2014 2:59 pm 

I agree. These are great for cutting wire braid on coax. A lot better than screwing around with wire cutters trying to clip every last strand.

Back when I installed alarm systems we used these to strip bell wire. Lost that pair years ago. Nice to have a pair for the bench and the tool kit again.
FYI: My local Lowes restocked them so maybe they will stay in the stores.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 03, 2014 5:16 pm 

I use them for everything. gets close-in on components much better than diagonals. cut wire, strip wire. cuts 25pair telephone cable with ease. chomps 50pair. slices through 100pair. got to have some muscle. when I was a kid my Dad cut a penny in two a couple times. I am using them for much smaller network cable now-a-days. CAT5 makes for decent transistor radio wire. solders real nice

PostPosted: Aug Mon 04, 2014 6:48 pm 

They are part of of my working wardrobe when I do outside the machine shop work. I kept a mini MagLite belt holster for some unknown reason until it dawned on me that snips fit just fine in one. I don't leave the shop without a pair. In fact, have snips on my belt right now!

-.-. --- .-.. -.. / ---.. ----- --...