Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 17, 2017 2:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How do you inventory your Vacuum Tubes?
PostPosted: Sep Sun 21, 2014 11:15 am 

I use that solution

Attachments:
valvulas1r.JPG
valvulas1r.JPG [ 92.92 KiB | Viewed 3445 times ]
valvulas2r.jpg
valvulas2r.jpg [ 62.18 KiB | Viewed 3445 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Mon 22, 2014 12:58 am 

That's a clever way of doing it too- everything is in proper order regardless of size. The only drawback is there's a lot of wasted space.

Scott Todd

PostPosted: Sep Mon 22, 2014 1:06 am 

Basically by size and the years they were in use. I get rid of TV tubes.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 22, 2014 1:20 am 

I'm lo-tech but did finally prepare a worksheet to help me find things. I've got small batches of tubes tucked away everywhere and it has been a pain to find them when I need them. Now I look at the sheet and know where to go!

Attachment:
tubeinv.jpg
tubeinv.jpg [ 175.77 KiB | Viewed 3423 times ]

Visit my homebrew page
www.sparkbench.com/homebrew/homebrew.html

PostPosted: Sep Tue 30, 2014 12:21 am 

Way too much work to keep an inventory list. Tubes are all in cardboard bins, strictly alphanumerically, with overflow in grocery bags in the attic (same numbering system). If it isn't in the bin I don't have it.

Attachment:
tube storage.jpg
tube storage.jpg [ 62.63 KiB | Viewed 3354 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Tue 30, 2014 1:02 am 

Alan Douglas wrote:
Way too much work to keep an inventory list. Tubes are all in cardboard bins, strictly alphanumerically, with overflow in grocery bags in the attic (same numbering system). If it isn't in the bin I don't have it.

Attachment:
tube storage.jpg

+1 on the time and work, simplier in the bins or trays,. No library system here. :)

PostPosted: Oct Thu 02, 2014 1:58 am 

My tubes are stored in identified boxes, with a list of tubes for each box on a page in a loose-leaf binder. Page # of the biinder hand-printed on box for a cross-reference. Each page in the binder (for each box) has tubes listed alphanumerically. Simple and works for me! :) Do I have that tube??? Look in the binder. Very low tech and I don't have to take a computer to my shop area. When I use one of them, I line/cross it out.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 02, 2014 2:21 am 

In the early years, there was one large box. Need a tube---dig in the box.

54 years later, there are more boxes, but the system has not changed much---things are sorted as follows:
Big pin--2 digit types
Big pin--3 digit
Octal
Large Octal

I do like the idea of random assignment to boxes with a master list to find things (this is how computer memory works)

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Nov Tue 11, 2014 4:37 pm 

Hi Gang!

I've got too many tubes to keep an inventory. The new tubes I keep in alphanumeric order by size (mini, octal, loctal, larger octal and antique) in paper shipping cartons. That is the box you would get 10 reams of standard letter size paper in. I use the bottom and tops as trays. They make two 17" by 11" trays 4" high. Your average size tube box will all fit in them if you sort by tube box size size. 170 mini's, 110 octal/loctal and 88 large octal/antique tubes per tray. I label the front of the boxes with the range of numbers that the box contains, i.e. 6AB4 thru 6AU6. I do that on a blank 5" by 8" index card that is folded in half and stuck in the front of the tray. All these trays of tubes are on 12" deep Rubbermaid wire shelving spaced 5 inches apart. The antiques tubes require 7 inch spacing because of the height of the tube boxes Used tubes go in bins on shelves by size/series as well. The bins I use are 17" deep and 4" high. I use the wire shelves here as well, 5 inches apart. I have varying widths of bins depending on the number of the tubes that I have. I put the tube type that's in the bin on a sticky note. That way I can change bin sizes without a lot of work and bunches of rewriting on the bins. On the floor under the shelves are 12" square boxes that have large numbers of tubes that are a single number, i.e., 50L6, 35Z5, etc. I don't keep odd voltage tubes other than the ones that are of actual use. This tube inventory takes up its own 16 foot square room. It's much faster to go look to see what I have than to inventory it. When I buy a bunch of tubes, I just sort them into the appropriate bins/boxes and pitch what I don't need or want. It's amazing, too, that after a while, I KNOW what I have and what I don't.

616-677-3706

PostPosted: Nov Sun 23, 2014 7:55 am 

I recently found a way to sort and actually find my tubes for use. I started with all 6 in one area and 12s in another. Then when looking for a tube I started separating into 6a b c etc.. in their own baggies. Then I went back and separated from 6a? So I have baggies narrowing down to the 3rd which makes it easy for me to find the tubes I need having to only go through 10 to 20 tubes. Baggies can hold maybe 4 or 5 different types when not a high quantity. It's still a work in progress but I have fixed 4 radios with the tubes I have on hand so slowly paying for itself.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 09, 2014 4:03 am 

I use Google Drive spreadsheets to inventory tubes. For the ones I am interested in, I include test data and notes such factory codes, date codes, condition of box, recent prices, subs, etc. Other tubes just get a simple model / manufacturer and count type of database. For the physical storage part I tend to keep tubes sorted by type and whether tested / untested in bins and tubs.

Oh, I label tube boxes by utilizing stickers on the underside of the flap for tested tubes. It is only a number that correlates to the particular tube in the database and Gm readings.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 31 posts ]  Moderator: Chuck Schwark Go to page Previous  1, 2