Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 18, 2018 9:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tube Shields: Easy, Fast & Inexpensive Fix for Motorboating
PostPosted: Aug Thu 28, 2014 10:54 pm 

I recently needed some tube shields for a set missing all of its tubes and shields. When the tubes were replaced, it motorboated badly. Here is how to make easy tube shields

1. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get some Step Aluminum Flashing. Costs about 50 cents apiece. Each piece makes 2 shields.

2. Cut it in half lengthwise down the fold with a pair of kitchen shears. You may have to cut down the height to clear the tube cap.

3. Wrap it around a cylinder the same size as the shield holder. I used a plastic cosmetic bottle like they give you when you stay in a motel.

4. Then roll this onto a piece of duct tape, sticky side up to secure the aluminum.

Works great, and instantly cured the motorboating

Good luck!

Post subject: Re: Tube Shields: Easy, Fast & Inexpensive Fix for Motorboat
PostPosted: Aug Fri 29, 2014 5:04 pm 

I'd be concerned with the smell and possible charring of the duct tape and it's adhesive after prolonged use. Tubes can generate a lot of heat.

I would use metal wrapped around an item of much smaller diameter than the tube it would be used on. That way you'd have a snug fit when stretched over the tube. No adhesive needed.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 29, 2014 11:27 pm 

jameswross;
Thanks for identifying the cheep, ready source; I usually find myself wandering the aisles thinking "what can I use to ...." and knowing that what I need does not come in a UPC bar-coded package labeled with what I need to do.
So imagine a clerk asks you what you need (that is funny right there) and you say 'I need miniature seven pin, nine pin and octal-GT tube shields'; what department will they direct you to? :(

As far as duct tape, my only concern with that is that will act as a thermal insulator and hold in the heat so the tube runs hot. I might try using a couple of cable ties to hold the shape.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 31, 2014 11:01 pm 

I recently needed a tube shield for a 9 pin European converter tube. I had some 3/4 inch copper water pipe tube that fit perfectly onto the shield retainer.. And its thermally conductive.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 01, 2014 1:10 pm 

I agree; it would be better to use aluminum HVAC tape which is designed to withstand heat and is thermally conductive.