Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Fri 23, 2018 2:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Odd source for voltage bucking transformer
PostPosted: Sep Tue 02, 2014 4:13 am 

I'm presuming we all know how to connect a typical 3 amp, 12.6 (CT or not) VAC filament transformer as a bucking transformer... but you have to find or buy one. Here's a new source... older pot lamps!
When the 12 volt halogen lamps fail you can buy a new one and just plug it in. But you can also buy 50 watt, 120 volt halogen spot or flood lamps of the same size and wattage and adapt the pot-lamp holder for them. Just take out (unscrew) the 50 watt transformer and pull down the 120 volt screw lamp socket to the right level for the new lamp (might need a wire extension in the pot-lamp housing - usual caveats on safety.) Now you have a spare transformer as well as a new light!
See second photo... they attached in the wrong order!

Now open it up, take out all the old connectors and re-connect it as a bucking transformer (properly - see elsewhere and, again, ensure electrical safety) in the middle of a cheater cord and, voila, a bucking transformer unit for three vintage radios... in a nice steel box, too!
Now see first photo...

Better to use grommets instead of my green and black plastic tubes... didn't have any of the right size and could not be bothered to go out to Home Depot! Actually, I often use a short length of PVC tube for cable relief... a small tie-wrap stops it coming out (as on these tubes inside box.)

BTW, these transformers are normally rated at 4 amps, so unit is good for up to about a 400 VA load on the 110 VAC side.

Transformer_potlamp_sm.jpg [ 92.55 KiB | Viewed 1773 times ]
Transfomer_bucking use_sm.jpg
Transfomer_bucking use_sm.jpg [ 73.92 KiB | Viewed 1773 times ]

Roger Jones,
Thornhill, Ontario
Ontario Vintage Radio Assoc.