Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 18, 2017 6:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Need hint to prevent slipping dial cord on tuning shaft
PostPosted: Nov Tue 25, 2014 9:02 pm 

radiodale1 wrote:

And yes the radio worked when it left the factory with a cord of cotton string tied in a knot without a spring.

That is not likely.
Dial strings leaving the factory would normally have had a spring ....and were usually made of that braided black material like fishing line.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 25, 2014 10:49 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
....and were usually made of that braided black material like fishing line.

I have seen braided fishing line suggested as replacement dial cord. That makes sense, as it is tough, flexible, and does not stretch.

G-C sold thirteen different replacement dial cords. See the "catalog" section at the end of the 1945 G-C dial belt guide:

http://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/pages/replace.html#gc

PostPosted: Feb Mon 23, 2015 9:30 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
All good advice above!

I've never tried it but.. since solder-flux is also rosin... maybe some solder flux paste spread on the string might work?

After changing about two hundred dial strings without a hitch, I finally ran into one that slipped despite my best efforts to correct the problem. I used to scoff at all of these posts aimed at correcting "dial string slippage" thinking that the posters just didn't know how to do the job right :oops: Until it happened to me. So Peter, thanks for your tip on using solder flux. After reading your post and exhausting all other efforts, I reached for an ancient bottle of GC electronics soldering flux and rubbed it onto the string. I can confirm that it works. In fact, it worked like a charm! :D

PostPosted: Feb Mon 23, 2015 11:03 pm 

Michael Simos wrote:
Pbpix wrote:
All good advice above!

I've never tried it but.. since solder-flux is also rosin... maybe some solder flux paste spread on the string might work?

After changing about two hundred dial strings without a hitch, I finally ran into one that slipped despite my best efforts to correct the problem. I used to scoff at all of these posts aimed at correcting "dial string slippage" thinking that the posters just didn't know how to do the job right :oops: Until it happened to me. So Peter, thanks for your tip on using solder flux. After reading your post and exhausting all other efforts, I reached for an ancient bottle of GC electronics soldering flux and rubbed it onto the string. I can confirm that it works. In fact, it worked like a charm! :D

Hi Mike:
Wow... well... that's a pleasant surprise.
I had always only used the liquid rosin I have so using solder-paste rosin was just a logical but wild hopeful guess.
Glad it worked... now I'll have to try it myself... lol

PostPosted: Mar Fri 13, 2015 8:40 pm 

I inherited a few spools of cording used for medical sutures. It was in my mother's sewing kit, and it looks exactly like the string used for radio dials. Lucky me, I have enough to last me many dozen radios.

Unfortunately, it's not exactly a popular source for dial string.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 18, 2015 11:58 pm 

Some tuning caps have a little locking nut with an adjustment screw inside to adjust the proper fit of the mechanism. Does yours have one of these? If so maybe someone adjusted it too tight.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Moderator: Chuck Schwark Go to page Previous  1, 2