Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 13, 2017 10:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Means of ID'ing And Storing Parts
PostPosted: Feb Wed 18, 2015 1:23 am 

One thing that comes with getting older is coming into a large number of prescription bottles. Most of them I get have white caps with or without printing. the ones with print can be readily erased with the application of some sandpaper which makes a good surface to use a permanent marker on. I've been doing this this afternoon at work for our shop parts. Now for the new wrinkle. prescription bottles are a pain to store loose. To make them more user friendly, I got some closed cell polyethylene foam of the type used for shipping heavy items, and cut a 2 1/2" sheet of it into a square to fit in the storage locker and took one Rx bottle, as most were the same size and cut the bottom off of it. I used a knife to scrape a sharp bevel inside the open end of the bottle and replaced the cap, for a handle. I then used the bottle as a cookie, or wad cutter in the sheet of foam and it made just the right sized holes to firmly hold the bottles in the foam. Now I have a number of bottles held securely with the ID info in plain view. I suppose you could hang the foam, glue it to a board and screw it to a wall or use as is as I am.

Post subject: Re: Another Means of ID'ing And Storing Parts
PostPosted: Feb Wed 18, 2015 8:05 am 

That "Cookie Cutter" method would work well for storing tubes also.

For different size holes one might be able to take a piece of EMT, and sharpen the edge of it, and fit a handle on it, or even grind some teeth on it and attach to a piece of drill rod, and the cut holes with a drill. With an open top the "core" should just pop out by itself while cutting another hole.

" Break down the wall"

PostPosted: Feb Mon 23, 2015 3:07 am 

Rather than labeling mine with a permanent marker, I use white adhesive tape marked with a ball point pen. That way, when whatever is in the bottle outgrows it's container, I just transfer the label to a larger bottle and the old bottle is ready for reuse without having to remove the marker. It also avoids having to remove the original printing on the cap.

Jim Mueller

PostPosted: Feb Mon 23, 2015 4:10 am 

Many times permanent marker can also be removed with isopropyl alcohol, as well.