Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sun 30, 2017 1:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Rewinding Miniature IF Transformers
PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 4:57 pm 

Many builders use these "TOKO" style IF transformers for more than just IF stages. They work real well for the front end of a homebrew receiver, too. However, there are a few "brands" out there that can not be re-wound as easily as the "TOKO" brand, because the case itself extends out past the ferrite bobbin, making it hard to get wire wound around it.

Using a small diameter wire, taken from a resistor of capacitor lead can be fashioned into a tool that will help wind the wire around that bobbin way down in there. Just take such a wire cut to a inch or so in length, form a very small loop in the end, I usually just wrap it around another small part lead. The goal is to make this loop small enough to reach down around the bobbin inside the transformer. Just run the wire through the loop, solder one end to a transformer leg, then slowly work the eye around the bobbin as you feed the wire through your hand. Be careful not to pull too hard on the wire, it is easy to break.

Post subject: Re: Rewinding Miniature IF Transformers
PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 12:24 am 

I use them in my homebrew radios. Never actually rewound one, but I do smash the ceramic capacitors (internal) so I can use an external cap.

http://g4hup.com/DFS/Rewinding%20Toko%2 ... 0Coils.pdf

Rich

Post subject: Re: Rewinding Miniature IF Transformers
PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 9:29 pm 

Other possibilities are Coiltronics Slot Ten (10 mm) coils - same structure internally as the 10mm Tokos, and the engineering kits come up on eBay occasionally.

Dan's Small Parts in MT has some Toko transformers and Coils too.

Cheers,