Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 7:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Quick Visual Check of Old carbon Resistors
PostPosted: Feb Mon 27, 2017 4:00 pm 

Well said, Fifties.

I do as you do. You already have the chassis out for the re-cap. Why not check the resistors and other items while you are at that point? To do less is just creating problems down the line where you will have to take it out again for repair. Carbon composition resistors are known for drifting in value as they age. Do it right the first time.

And dkd, I do replace everything in the sense that when I work on a commercial transmitter, there are often circuit cards. It takes more time to repair (if even possible with SMD technology) them than to slide a new card in, so that does save money in terms of labour.

I take pride in my repairs, whether if it is for personal equipment or commercial equipment. Doing it your way would result in callbacks and would be unprofessional.

Tony

PostPosted: Mar Thu 02, 2017 8:48 pm 

I am not in anyway talking about commercial "customer" repairs (as you well know.) The discussion was about doing a quick visual check for obvious signs of trouble and the fact that some failed resistors are easy to spot by their visual appearance. So for a first check. Not the final word but a quick way to spot. Somehow that went from a handy tip to the anal side of things.
Feel free to replace everything not nailed down. Ur dime and Ur shack, Ur rules.
donVe3LYX

PostPosted: Mar Fri 03, 2017 1:50 am 

dkd wrote:
The discussion was about doing a quick visual check for obvious signs of trouble and the fact that some failed resistors are easy to spot by their visual appearance. So for a first check. Not the final word but a quick way to spot. Somehow that went from a handy tip to the anal side of things.

Why should this thread be any different than all the others, which also get hijacked six ways from Sunday? :wink:

PostPosted: Apr Sun 09, 2017 9:43 pm 

cracked burnt resistors, melted wax capacitor, blobs of solder, pieces of leads, bad solder joint, missing parts, added parts, crumbling insulation, frayed wire, white getter. all visual. then comes the smell test....

PostPosted: Apr Mon 10, 2017 11:04 am 

dkd wrote:
I am not in anyway talking about commercial "customer" repairs (as you well know.) The discussion was about doing a quick visual check for obvious signs of trouble and the fact that some failed resistors are easy to spot by their visual appearance. So for a first check. Not the final word but a quick way to spot. Somehow that went from a handy tip to the anal side of things.
Feel free to replace everything not nailed down. Ur dime and Ur shack, Ur rules.
donVe3LYX

I thought the discussion was pretty informative......on this forum, you will ALWAYS get more answers than you were looking for.

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Apr Tue 11, 2017 1:14 am 

pixellany wrote:
on this forum, you will ALWAYS get more answers than you were looking for.

And they won't always agree with each other. Sometimes some will be just plain wrong, but other times they are an alternate view or technique.

And then there are the ones that make no sense at all because the poster didn't read the whole question.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 05, 2017 1:49 am 

Some resistors from the 1940s and 1950s tend to go way up in value; the ones with brown bodies and faint color bands seem to be the worst. The half-watt types with rough bodies have a tendency for the leads to come loose. On the other hand, the Allen-Bradley and Ohmite resistors seem to hold up the best.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 27 posts ]  Moderator: Chuck Schwark Go to page Previous  1, 2