Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 12:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Teflon powder for lubricating tuning slugs
PostPosted: Apr Fri 21, 2017 8:14 pm 

Caution, this might make them so easily turned that they would be too loose in a portable or car radio application, but for a table radio this seems wonderful to me so far:

I had some rather hard-to-turn tuning slugs, to the extent that I had to turn one with a screwdriver (risky!) instead of the usual plastic tuning tools. Elsewhere on these forums I see that apparently the traditional lubricant for tuning slugs is talcum powder. I wasn't sure if I'd actually find that at a local drug store (a lot of baby powder is no longer talcum powder due to alarm about respiratory diseases and a tenuous cancer link), so rather than waste time driving around I got to looking online. Somewhere along the way I got to thinking "Hey, I can get pure molybdenum disulfide powder!" More reasearch reveals that it's somewhat electrically conductive, so like graphite, I'd rather avoid it. Next I discover that teflon powder is available -- the one I got is "Runaway Bike PTFE POWDER" on Amazon. PTFE is electrically insulating and heat-stable. For these kind of purposes the 1.5 oz bottle is likely a lifetime supply and more :)

I applied a tiny bit with a small brush to tops and bottoms of the IF and ratio detector cans on this radio, worked it in and blew away any loose dust, and it's so easy to tune the slugs now.

I suppose for historical correctness, you should only use this on post-WWII radios, since Teflon was a development from the Manhattan project. :)

Post subject: Re: Teflon powder for lubricating tuning slugs
PostPosted: Apr Fri 21, 2017 8:33 pm 

Be careful -- there are multiple studies on the effects of PTFE dust and respritory (sp?) dangers on the internet. Very advisable to wear a mask and avoid the possibility of inhaling powder or dust -- I am rather surprised it is sold on amazon -

Griz

PostPosted: Apr Fri 21, 2017 8:45 pm 

grizzly1 wrote:
Be careful -- there are multiple studies on the effects of PTFE dust and respritory (sp?) dangers on the internet. Very advisable to wear a mask and avoid the possibility of inhaling powder or dust -- I am rather surprised it is sold on amazon -

Griz

Good point. I would be careful with almost anything this finely powdered, most present some amount of danger, at least with long term occupational exposure.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 21, 2017 11:30 pm 

mmagin wrote:
grizzly1 wrote:
Be careful -- there are multiple studies on the effects of PTFE dust and respiratory (sp?) dangers on the Internet. Very advisable to wear a mask and avoid the possibility of inhaling powder or dust -- I am rather surprised it is sold on amazon -

Griz

Good point. I would be careful with almost anything this finely powdered, most present some amount of danger, at least with long term occupational exposure.
The Moly is toxic too!

Chas

PostPosted: Apr Thu 27, 2017 2:14 am 

Soapstone, the markers used in cutting and welding, are talc. Rub one on a file and make your own powder.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 27, 2017 6:38 pm 

I have a vintage one pound can of Rexall Baby Talc, whose label proclaims "contains no boric acid or zinc stearate." It also seems to contain no fragrance, the ingredient added to talcum powder to create baby powder.

Teflon powder is found in many hobby shops. I use Hob-E-Lube HL652 Dry White Lube with PTFE, which is a product of Woodland Scenics. I cannot find an MSDS for this product, so I do not know what the body component is to which the Teflon is added, but the instruction sheet shows the product as non-conductive. I also have Hob-E-Lube HL651 Dry Graphite with Molybdenum, which is conductive.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 08, 2017 5:39 am 

I always go to the store and get the johnsons baby powder in the white bottle. On the ingredients area on the back, it says Ingredients: Talc, Fragrance. That seems to work well. Or pencil lead sometimes.