Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 3:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Suggestion: Photocopy Important Receipts
PostPosted: Aug Fri 18, 2017 3:11 am 

I recently had a problem with a car battery going bad within the warranty period. The receipt, which I kept in the glove box, was blank. Obviously the heat caused the thermal paper to wipe out the printing. This happened on a battery that was rated at 84 months and failed at 20 months; it was replaced and the new battery failed at 4 years and 11 months--still less than the 84 months (7 years) as the two batteries only lasted 6 years and 7 months total.

So, if you have any warranty related purchases, I recommend making photocopies of any receipts and documents.

Post subject: Re: Suggestion: Photocopy Important Receipts
PostPosted: Aug Fri 18, 2017 3:38 am 

Most auto stores have your name and what you bought in their computer so it's easy for them to tell you
Batteries now don't last long every 3 yrs I buy a new one

Sam

PostPosted: Aug Fri 18, 2017 6:47 am 

I make copies of all my warranty related receipts and also keep them in a folder on the computer. I had the same problem as you with the receipts printing disappearing after a couple of years.

Dave

PostPosted: Aug Fri 18, 2017 10:46 am 

Very helpful suggestion!

Alcohol also destroys thermal paper receipts - I ruined a post office receipt that way when I spilled a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol on my bench. Just moments before, I had emailed the tracking info to a buyer.

I wonder if there is an online service, like Shoeboxed that would store them for free, making them available anywhere. Battery goes dead >50 miles from the house, say = and your stored image is on a home computer.....

PostPosted: Aug Fri 18, 2017 1:03 pm 

I also scan receipts and warrantee information but save the scans on several machines. On my primary desktop computer, shop computer, laptop and a tablet. That way nothing is lost and always nearby. I staple original receipts inside any documentation that came with devices which seems to slow fading by keeping them away from light.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 18, 2017 10:42 pm 

Shouldn't this be in the Clubhouse? Nothing to do with radio, TV, etc.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 19, 2017 2:21 am 

Edit: I guess it is supposed to be technically radio related. - I stand corrected... Still going to agree w/ the OP tho.

But my 0.015$ worth. Definitely agree with the OP. The fading isn't entirely heat related, though it does speed it along...

As part of my disorganized filing system I stuff all my receipts in a envelope after I get done doing the bills and balancing the checkbook...

Most (but not all) tend to fade into illegibility after about a year. (Part of my disorganized filing system involves shredding said receipts after a year, so I do have occasion to look.) These are receipts sitting on the desk next to me, not in the sun or even particularly bright light.

Scan anything of importance, its hard to make a claim for those sorts of warranties, if you can't read the receipt anymore.

The cynic in me wonders if it isn't intentional.

David

PostPosted: Aug Wed 23, 2017 2:53 am 

I keep my receipts in an envelope inside. I learned about the dissapearing thermal print a long time ago.