Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 17, 2017 8:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Double Barrel Crimp Sleeves for Dial Cord
PostPosted: Nov Fri 03, 2017 5:50 pm 

Has any one tried using one of these fishing tackle items to form a loop in the end of a dial cord to attach a spring? These are a common item at fishing and sporting stores. Your dial cord passes thru twice, resulting in a loop.

When space is tight seems like a good solution.

Post subject: Re: Double Barrel Crimp Sleeves for Dial Cord
PostPosted: Nov Fri 03, 2017 8:08 pm 

That's a good idea!

I have also used brass eyelets, sometimes the cord will pull through the eyelet.

Chas

PostPosted: Nov Fri 03, 2017 9:46 pm 

I did a post here last January about this. (Different dial string idea.) I found I could get the correct length almost perfect. It worked like a champ and have used it a couple of times. You may have to look around to get the very small ones. A touch of super glue stopped any slipping.

Good luck
Freeman.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 08, 2017 8:36 pm 

Can a close-up picture be posted? I have no idea of what this looks like. Seems a device to clamp and retain a dial cord under tension to get the exact length needed would be very useful, rather than have to guess at proper length, tie a loop, and hope for the best.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 09, 2017 5:19 pm 

I blew up the picture and it's not to clear. I used a 2X4 and nails. The green is original. The sleeve is larger, but squashed down flat. It lays in the wheel perfectly. One jaw of the crimp tool fits between string and board. I had to make a few though to get the proper tight length. The problem I use to have was getting the correct length and then trying to tie a knot. I found this to work for me.

Good luck.
Freeman.

Attachments:
Dial String-1.JPG
Dial String-1.JPG [ 34.21 KiB | Viewed 325 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Fri 10, 2017 7:50 pm 

OK, here is the deal: go to your local fishing tackle store and get size 1.6 double sleeves. It fits standard ,028 dial cord perfectly. I got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods. Pass the cord thru one side, loop it and pass it thru the other side. Crimp it with lineman's pliers. They make a special tool for this but that is not necessary. You can slide the cord thru the sleeve for an exact length before crimping.

You will have a professional looking loop on the dial cord. This makes it possible to get a loop where there is not enough space to tie one, or not enough free length on the cord.