Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 15, 2017 3:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Making Tuner Dial Cord
PostPosted: Nov Sun 19, 2017 4:55 am 

I've recently been making my own tuner dial cord. It looks, feels, and most importantly behaves like the original dial cord in our vintage radios. Here's how

Go to a fabric store, craft store, etc. and pick up some floss. (NOT dental floss) Floss is a multi-stranded cotton or nylon string used to weave bracelets and such.
Gather 6 to 8 strands (color doesnt matter) of whatever length you need and tie knots at both ends. Allow a few inches of added length just in case.

Get two small clamps, or spring type clothes pins. clamp one end at the knot. Now slowly twist up the strands until they are tight together, but not so tight that it starts to bunch up. try to get the same thickness as your original dial cord if you still have it, if not then use your best guess. now put your other clamp on the other end so it doesnt unwind. Pull the two clamps apart until your string is tight.

Lightly spray paint the string with high temperature grill paint, wait a few minutes, then turn it over and get the other side, making sure its all pretty well covered, but not dripping. You could probably use oxide primer too, as it has about the same feel to it.

After the paint has dried, get some all-purpose glue. I use super glue brand but it is NOT super glue. You can also use rubber cement. put a small amount on your finger and thumb and lightly coat the string. When the glue dries, your result will be tuner dial cord as good as the original.

I have used this method several times and it has worked like a charm for me. It also seems to be the most cost effective. So I thought I would share with the forums!

-Mom always said I had a face for radio-

Post subject: Re: Making Tuner Dial Cord
PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 9:07 pm 

Dacron Fishing line is available at your local Wal-Mart

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 9:38 pm 

Cord for Mini-blinds made by Julius Koch, New Bedford makes a good general purpose dial cord.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 12:45 am 

Paracord comes in small diameters. Inner core gives strength and outer sleeve gives friction to grip shafts and wheels.

Forest Gumping through life