Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 12, 2018 6:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Yellowed cloudy Dial lens cleaning
PostPosted: Aug Thu 07, 2014 1:04 am 

Bill M wrote:
ea327 wrote:
Instead of making more work for yourselves, Just get some Plastx by Meguire. Rub it on-wipe it off. Done! I've used it on dozens of very yellowed dials.

How well does it do? Most of the dials I have to fuss with are discolored to the core as opposed to superficial cleaning. Cleaning is easy :) Does it have some sort of chemical agent that reverses this?

It is designed to clear headlight lenses and get the yellow out, and it works, so I guess it does.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 07, 2014 3:50 pm 

Eric,

Where can a person buy this "Plastx" ? Is it avaliable in retail/auto stores, or must it be ordered online?

PostPosted: Aug Thu 07, 2014 6:17 pm 

Looks like it can be puchased online with same day pickup at Walmart.

Attachments:
plastx.JPG
plastx.JPG [ 54.34 KiB | Viewed 1955 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Thu 21, 2014 4:36 pm 

The Meguiar's works better on modern plastics, esp. polycarbonates. Works decent on other types but not perfect results. Many old plastics contain cellulose which is what yellows.... just as aged cellophane tape does. While it can be bothersome, some minor amount of residual yellowing goes a long way to maintain "period" appearance/age on vintage radio dials. Go ahead and clear up discolored pick guards on vintage guitars and you'll drastically reduce their value!

PostPosted: Aug Thu 21, 2014 7:44 pm 

Interesting post, as I'll be dealing with this with the RCA C8-19 with a yellowed dial lens that I'm restoring.

When you say "Brasso", do you mean the old liquid stuff in the metal can, which if I'm not mistaken, is no longer offered for sale due to the enviro-whackos, or do you mean the modern day paste stuff in the plastic bottle?

PostPosted: Aug Thu 21, 2014 10:01 pm 

N6MKC wrote:
Interesting post, as I'll be dealing with this with the RCA C8-19 with a yellowed dial lens that I'm restoring.

When you say "Brasso", do you mean the old liquid stuff in the metal can, which if I'm not mistaken, is no longer offered for sale due to the enviro-whackos, or do you mean the modern day paste stuff in the plastic bottle?

I think the new Brasso stuff just has less grit in it also.

I haven't tried Plastex. Maybe look for it at Kmart next time.

I just recently re-did a Zenith 6D029 with "boomerang" dial.
That particular dial-lens was pretty yellowed. The 50/50 bleach worked well to reduce about half the yellow after several hours.
But I still had to use Brasso to get some other smudgy marks off... and then a little Windex too to help wash off any Brasso residue stuck in around tight corners.... lol

There's another product I tried this time too as a final polish called Gel-Gloss. It's meant for polishing fiberglass boats I think.
That also has some fine grit to it and cleans off nicely.

Remember the reason that any type of wax or polish works on plexiglass scratches or other plastic surface problems. and what-not, .... is because a scratch diffuses the light... making the scratch noticeable, but the wax or polish fills-in the scratch and when buffed out it now prevents the scratch from diffusing the light because it's been filled-in.

Anyway.. back to my Zenith dial lens:
So.. I fiddled with a lot of stuff to get it about 80% clear.
But..if the Plastex is one-step.. it might be a better choice.

Oft times I make new lenses too.:
If this Zenith boomerang dial-cover wasn't such a large odd shape, I would have just made a new one by making a Masonite template and then molding a new one in the toaster-oven using a polycarbonate sheet.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Moderator: Chuck Schwark Go to page Previous  1, 2