Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 17, 2017 3:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dial String Slippage Tonic: Elmer's Spray Adhesive
PostPosted: May Fri 25, 2012 7:46 pm 

R. Jepsen wrote:
Pbpix wrote:
I have suggested the use of rosin or bee's wax in a previous post.. but ...
...Actually if the pulleys are properly lubricated on their shafts and moving freely and if the pointer is also not restricted AND if the main pulley is clean and smooth with no rust where the cord rides ... there should be no need for any tacky stuff on the cord.
The small drive shaft is often made such that it has a v-shaped or valley-shaped depression where the cord rides. This is where the cord is usually wrapped around 2-1/2 or 3 times.
That groove MUST be shiny and smooth as the cord needs to slide up and down the valley to prevent it from overlapping itself on long travel or reverse travel.
With proper tension on the slack-tensioning spring and ALL smooth freely moving wheels and shafts there should not really ever be a need for rosin or such.
Yes rosin can help if the cord is stretched or to get past a problem of drag... but it is not the total, proper answer... only a patch so to speak.
If you have patience and you can actually get the cord on "right" with all wheels free and smooth surfaced...it will not need anything else.

I have spoken ... lol

You speak well and I have done exactly as you outline. I might add that it is extremely important to check the tuning capacitor rubber mounts. As they decay and turn to coal dust, the dial cord tension will pull up on the large pulley throwing the assembly out of alignment. View the tuning capacitor from the end of the chassis and check to be sure it is sitting perpendicular to the top of the chassis. Grasp the tuning capacitor and see if it is solidly mounted or rocks. On the typical RCA chassis, grommets (OD.5625 ID.2500) can be used to replace the original rubbers. Before attempting to push them into the three chassis holes, first heat with a blow dryer or hot water to make them pliable. When hot, two-thirds of the grommet can be pushed into it's hole and the remainder using a small screwdriver blade. Also, use finger on opposite side to pull edge of grommet into position.

Yes.. rotting grommets will cause the tuner to rock or wobble throwing off the cord alignment.
So I also regularly inspect and replace the grommets. A box of various sizes can be purchased through Harbor Freight or elsewhere for only a few bucks.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/2 ... =526356402
I have never needed to heat them to get them in. Sometimes I have to manipulate them a bit, but they fit with a little force.

PostPosted: May Fri 25, 2012 10:25 pm 

Re: I have never needed to heat them to get them in. Sometimes I have to manipulate them a bit, but they fit with a little force.

===============================================

The grommets in my hoard are made of Neoprene and kind of tough at room temperature.

http://www.phillipsind.com/product/118.html

PostPosted: May Sun 27, 2012 6:50 pm 

As an added note to the slippage topic, I was lubricating the pulleys & TC and inadvertently got some sewing machine oil on the dial cord. The extent of any added slippage is unknown but holding the end of a wax capacitor against the cord while transversing the scale took care of the problem. The bees wax idea is without a doubt sheer genius.

This was a chassis where some Bloke attempted to fix the slippage problem by adding an extra turn to the tuning shaft and mulafustring the spring. This, of course, caused secondary problems and so the radio was cast onto the junk pile of time to accumulate dust and dirt. Luckily it reached my hands rather than the landfill. Amazing what a few grommets, oil, and wax can do.

Last edited by R. Jepsen on May Sun 27, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: May Sun 27, 2012 7:38 pm 

As we all know, "All repairs are temporary." Great information!

PostPosted: Feb Thu 07, 2013 5:10 am 

If beeswax or the wax from a old capacitor will work, what about a piece of wax broken from a burned-out candle?

PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2013 3:56 am 

Tom, the wax used then and now are 2 different beasts. Additionally, old caps have been cooked in radios and after decades of exposure to the air, the wax can be fairly gooey.

I have used wax candles to lubricate wooden sash windows that were sticking, which is the opposite of using old tacky wax to prevent cord slippage.

John S.

PostPosted: May Mon 06, 2013 6:46 pm 

Well over 8 years on the ZTO Using Elmer's Spray Adhesive.
Only used it because the ZTO is a bear to dissassemble.
I'd say it works pretty fair...

PostPosted: Mar Sat 26, 2016 4:09 pm 

Old topic, but I think my R1000's cord is slipping a bit. Is the glue still holding?

PostPosted: Mar Mon 28, 2016 4:52 am 

I have a roll of this #18 waxed polyester carpet thread that was left over from a carpet store that closed.
http://www.consolidatedthreadmills.com/ ... ls_032.htm

I've used it in both tube and transistors radios and it seems to grip the pulleys very well, some of these radios are going on 10 years or more with no issues.
There's probably enough in this roll to last me a lifetime.
I'm pretty sure you can buy just one roll on other sites for about 2 or 3 bucks.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 12, 2016 1:49 am 

Dial cord slippage can be caused by the metal frame rust and pitted where the bearings ride. This makes a stiff tuner and the dial cord can not overcome this. Make a paste out of sink Cleanser and water. Force that into the bearings. Turn tuner a bunch of times (crunchy crunchy) Repeat a few times. Wash all that out then lube the bearings. Works most of the time.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 27, 2016 4:02 am 

Toilet bowl ring wax. $1.49 will buy enough of it to do 100,000 dial cords.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 28, 2016 8:59 pm 

I'm looking forward to Oz's next update. Hope he's okay, his last post was in February.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 01, 2016 9:30 am 

Actually something that works great dosnt pickup dust and was designed for string is violin rosin. You can order it off eBay for a few dollars and it works great. Sam

PostPosted: Sep Sun 04, 2016 7:23 pm 

When I get an old radio one of the first things I do is remove the tuning capacitor for a good cleaning. I re-grease the bearings in the tuner frame and make sure the it is moving smoothly. The grommets I'll replace whether they "look" good or not. 80 year old grommets are now, as one put it, "coal dust" and new grommets are cheap. I clean and deglaze the tuning wheel a little with some fine sandpaper to remove rust and other crap. I make sure the springs are still good and replace if not. I check the dial cord, and replace if needed. I will also remove the glaze from the shaft that the cord is wrapped around a couple of turns with a little fine sandpaper without scratching it up too much. When put back together it works great, and it doesn't take much effort.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 04, 2016 10:39 pm 

Spykeismycat wrote:
When I get an old radio one of the first things I do is remove the tuning capacitor for a good cleaning. I re-grease the bearings in the tuner frame and make sure the it is moving smoothly. The grommets I'll replace whether they "look" good or not. 80 year old grommets are now, as one put it, "coal dust" and new grommets are cheap. I clean and deglaze the tuning wheel a little with some fine sandpaper to remove rust and other crap. I make sure the springs are still good and replace if not. I check the dial cord, and replace if needed. I will also remove the glaze from the shaft that the cord is wrapped around a couple of turns with a little fine sandpaper without scratching it up too much. When put back together it works great, and it doesn't take much effort.

Often we find that the shaft on the knob where the dial cord is wrapped around about 2-1/2 times has a sloped groove.
The purpose of the slope is to allow the cord to climb and slide back down. That grove should be smooth to allow for that action.
A properly cleaned, smooth and rust free large wheel are also very important to proper action and all pulleys should be without restriction. If the tuner capacitor body is sitting on old broken or dried out grommets then proper action will be inhibited.

Remember that when it left the factory no wax or rosin or anything sticky was ever applied or required for the the cord to work properly..

If every thing is aligned and there are no friction points or rust and if all surfaces which the cord rides upon are smooth and clean... you'll be fine to go with just enough proper tension.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 29, 2017 2:23 am 

thanks for all the clues. just restrung my hallicrafters s-38e and it was slipping. tried a little badger mustache wax (which is mostly beeswax) on the new cord - and that was the answer. thanks!

PostPosted: Mar Wed 29, 2017 9:20 pm 

Read Peters post above, if everything is lubricated, aligned, and strung properly there is no need for any type of friction modifier.

Dave

PostPosted: Mar Wed 29, 2017 9:50 pm 

easyrider8 wrote:
Read Peters post above, if everything is lubricated, aligned, and strung properly there is no need for any type of friction modifier.

Dave

I got that from a write up about it somewhere .. the manufactures notes or something.. and it's really true.
So I took it to heart and those that were giving me trouble, I put back into rust free smooth condition.. and in fact everything does work that way.

All that being said... before I discovered that... i did also find that a little bees wax was a good quick fix.
I also have some liquid rosin that works well.
But those problems would probably be due to a tension spring in the wrong hole or a crooked tuner from old grommets.
So proper tension and clean easy moving surfaces is the solution. Especially the sloped groove in the small drive shaft where the cord gets wrapped around 2-1/2 times. That groove must be very smooth.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 25, 2017 2:31 pm 

THIRTEEN YEARS! Pretty soon, I'm gonna say elmer's fixed it! :D :D

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 39 posts ]  Moderator: Chuck Schwark Go to page Previous  1, 2