Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 19, 2017 4:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Which one over the other one to bid? Why would you?
PostPosted: May Fri 19, 2017 8:15 am 

How revealing to read ur answers!!

I d like to use them as speakers alone, to be driven by my other amps. Hence stereo. I d hv to turn them on coz there r alll field coil spkrs in them.

Well to hv two same concoles in my living room has been my dream fpr some time.

Terence

PostPosted: May Fri 19, 2017 8:17 am 

Oh yea, the other one, that 12s471, I was told, came from radioattic.com.

Terence

PostPosted: May Fri 19, 2017 9:16 am 

WeekendHacker wrote:
http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=319846

All that being stipulated, his one and only question is what radios would work the best as a pair of amplified speaker boxes, with the side stipulation of having to also reasonably perform as original radios when not used as speaker boxes. Any attempt to argue any other aspect of the project is extraneous noise and may appear (through cultural failure to communicate) to the OP as bullying..

Yes I have started to look and read more radio specific sites and just ordered a few books to delve into the subject. Trouble is, there is not a clue as to the audio performance of any given radio to be assessed as to whether one particular radio is suited t o performing in an audio environment.

I hv decided to spend money and time searching into the subject where radios with field coil speakers will be my target. I never preferred bakelite and FM radios anyway. AM and SW are perfect for my listening. The tombstone and cathedral, and console radios just pferfectly slip into my dream.

So, at ARF, I hope to meet audiophiles, however few may they be, who can advise me on this peculiar subject. Until then, maybe I can contribute my experience from these.

WeekendHacker wrote:
All of that being taken into consideration, my opinion of what he is looking for is an RCA console that many others here know what I mean. It had baffling chambers and hollow tubes in the speaker area. Others have claimed it's the best sounding console radio (ever?), based on its acoustical labarynthian design. I can't seem to find the topic I'm remembering but it wasn't too long ago. If someone can tell us the model number of it, I think the OP will appreciate that information.

I haven't read of that particular RCA. But I know of Another radio builder with Labarynth design (S. Carlson, or Ward? I guess it is kinda front loaded horn in a simplified structure). I have seen and listened to may German radios, incl my own Normende big TT/radio consolde made in 1952. They are too "HiFi". I never liked them too much but hey, a Polish guy named Lukazs Fikas, at lampizator.com, has long been publishing his projects on open-baffle speaker building using speaker units from old German radios like Telefunken and Grundig. As I said, hence "Klangfilm".

That is where my idea of using ancient radios and radio speakers as modern Hifi components, came along. The only difference is, I will respect the ancient radios as they are, and I won't be doing any irreversible tearing. To me, American wood-built radios far far far out-shines in terms of pure aesthetics any German cubic and robotic radios built any time. That is what matters in the first place.

It is doable. People have been doing this in different manner, however few of them there may be.

My search goes on.

Terence

PostPosted: May Fri 19, 2017 2:20 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:
It's funny that the seller of that 8-S-463 had recently been here at ARF soliciting value ideas for that very radio. He was given realistic values but, apparently, he has his own ideas of what he should get for it.

Post: http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... 1&t=321465

Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Zenith- ... Track=true

Personally, I am really confused why that thread got locked?

The seller never posted links to his auction, another ARF member did.
We post links to outside sales venues all the time. That's what this particular forum is for even.

If there was something wrong with posting the sales venue, why not remove the offending post rather than lock the thread?

I'm guessing there is something beyond what I'm seeing, but now I question whether or not I should post links in fear I may get a thread locked...

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: May Fri 19, 2017 11:48 pm 

Terence I sent you a PM that is a Private Message through ARF Antique Radio Forum. Go read it for some information.

As to Zenith 8s463 consoles. The stripes around that cabinet and the front of the vertical bars are all Faux Finish. A form of a decal and not real veneer. Plus as several above mentioned there are lots and lots of that model our there. Yes it is a nice enough looking radio and a decent player. But it won't for sure have the same sound as the 12 tube with pushpull audio output tubes as the 8 toober is a single ended amp. The 12s471 is a much rarer radio.

John k9uwa
http://johnjeanantiqueradio.com/

PostPosted: May Wed 24, 2017 10:32 pm 

WeekendHacker wrote:
http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=319846

The theoretical audio frequency range of an AM radio is 40Hz-5000Hz but in practice somewhat less.

Not in the US. Its legal to transmit out to 10 kHz.

Our local stations all do, and cut off very steeply above 9.5 kHz, probably
using digital filters.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2