Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 18, 2018 9:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is this really a $10K radio??
PostPosted: Feb Tue 20, 2018 4:04 pm 

glue_ru wrote:
it sure makes collecting $50 transistor radios a good choice
I agree in principle. However, I like the $5 transistors, as long as it has its battery door...

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 2:29 am 

philcolynn wrote:
Dutch Rabbit- Steve...You and I think a lot a like!! They do nothing for me either. If i'd ever find one I would sell it just to get rid of it!! Fancy plastic is all it is to me!!!

Linda

steve

Attachments:
th.jpg
th.jpg [ 13.03 KiB | Viewed 267 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 5:50 am 

For me, and I am definitely in the minority on this forum, is that the functionality of these types of radios are a non-issue. The radio is almost a piece of art, it's value is eye appeal and the case. I'm in my low 40s and have been around radios for 25+ yrs and my opinion of radios is from an aesthetic view point. I want pieces that look great knowing that I will not listen to them.
Again I know that this is looked down upon on forums like this but I think that it is a very rational viewpoint on the future of radio collecting.
This radio is like car collecting you are buying it because of the rarity too. People aren't paying $2mil for a hemi 'cuda convertible as a daily driver. They are buying as it's a 1 of some many that will only appreciate in value and store it.

Last edited by bullseyeguyz on Feb Wed 21, 2018 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 5:58 am 

bullseyeguyz wrote:
I want pieces that look great knowing that I will not listen to them.

This. Exactly.

That's why my high-deco consoles from 1932-35 are my absolute favorites. Silvertone 1968, Majestic Montcalm, Philco 201X, Consolaire Grand. Best looking radios on the planet! :wink:

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 3:09 pm 

bullseyeguyz wrote:
I want pieces that look great knowing that I will not listen to them. Again I know that this is looked down upon on forums like this but I think that it is a very rational viewpoint on the future of radio collecting.
I don't know why it would be looked down upon and I am one of the guys who helps people get their radios operational.

People collect things for different reasons. With regard to radios, some collect them for the looks (two groups: the want it to look brand new group, and the I want it to look its age group). Others want to use them because hearing the radio brings back memories (accentuated by playing "oldies" from their own transmitters). Some want to both use them and have them even look original under the chassis (the part stuffing people). There is room for all kinds.

The only ones that kind of hurt my feelings are the people who turn classic radios into fish tanks, make them into neon colored bars, chop a console in half to try to turn it into a table model, or the like. Those things I generally consider destruction and it pains me (if you want a fish tank, just go buy a fish tank...).

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 10:39 pm 

Eickerman wrote:
bullseyeguyz wrote:
I want pieces that look great knowing that I will not listen to them. Again I know that this is looked down upon on forums like this but I think that it is a very rational viewpoint on the future of radio collecting.
I don't know why it would be looked down upon and I am one of the guys who helps people get their radios operational.

People collect things for different reasons. With regard to radios, some collect them for the looks (two groups: the want it to look brand new group, and the I want it to look its age group). Others want to use them because hearing the radio brings back memories (accentuated by playing "oldies" from their own transmitters). Some want to both use them and have them even look original under the chassis (the part stuffing people). There is room for all kinds.

The only ones that kind of hurt my feelings are the people who turn classic radios into fish tanks, make them into neon colored bars, chop a console in half to try to turn it into a table model, or the like. Those things I generally consider destruction and it pains me (if you want a fish tank, just go buy a fish tank...).

Curtis Eickerman

Very well stated, agree. I like all the styles of radios for different reasons.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2